cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Etiquette

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Dear inconsiderate Campers, Please take note of this thread. If any of this sounds like you, please listen.

We just returned home after a long weekend camping trip at the Indian Creek RV Resort in Geneva On The Lake, Ohio. It's a very nice private campground with several full hookup, pull through sites. Mostly seasonal campers but there are many sites available for us weekend warriors. It's a pet friendly park and I would guess 75% of the weekend campers had dogs. All of them we encountered were very friendly and well behaved. Very little barking when they were outside and none of them were aggressive but there were some issues. Keep in mind that I like Dogs so this isn't a dog hating complaint, but please understand that I don't want to listen to your dogs bark for several hours because you decided to go out drinking and left your dog cooped up inside your camper. I also don't want to have to pick up your dog's business because in the morning, you let them out unleashed and they wandered off to our site to do that while I was sitting quietly enjoying a cup of coffee at my picnic table.

Another issue I want to address is when a campground's rules lists a quiet time of 11pm, that means 11pm. It doesn't mean that because you've been drinking since Noon, that those rules don't apply to you. Not everyone in the campground wants to hear you whoop it up because your favorite song started playing. I'm pretty sure everyone understands that it's a song you like because if it wasn't you wouldn't be playing it. Understand also that not everyone in the campground listens to the type of music you enjoy, at a decibel level that can be heard 10 miles away. Especially not at 2AM!

So please understand that I like to have fun as much as the next camper. I enjoy drinking beer, playing music, laughing, carrying on etc. But I do it within the rules of the campground I'm at and do my best not to impose my idea of fun on the campers next to and around me. I'm asking for a little consideration and to understand that when you paid money to spend a few nights at a campground, so did everyone else. You did not receive the right to do whatever you want because you've had a bad week at work or are under a lot of stress and you need to unwind. Be considerate of others. If that's not possible, please consider holding your party out in the woods where no one will care or be able to hear you rather than at a family friendly campground. Thank you.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
104 REPLIES 104

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We are full-timers and I say "read and adhere to the rules and regulations.
Unfortunately, most don't regarding dogs and loud music. The campground
management is equally responsible to enforce their own R & R and unfortunately
they don't especially regarding barkng dogs and owners who do not leash them.
Have been fultimming for 12 years and have only complained to mgmt a few
times--usually about barking dogs or dogs left alone in an RV. In most instances
nothing was ever done.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Just how the hell do you expect me to get gas???

I pull up to pumps and THEN I go into store to pay for my gas for them to turn pump on.

Pumps don't work unless you use a credit card or GO INSIDE and pay for it.

So YUP, my coach is parked in front of a pump while I go in to pay for my gas at that pump. And NOPE I can't move out of the way for you. :W

I know that you are just playing games here, so stop.

No one has suggested that you cannot go inside to pay for your fuel while you are parked at the pump. But there is NO reason to go inside, shop for supplies, get/eat lunch at the attached fastfood joint inside, pay for your fuel, and THEN come out to pump your fuel, all while your vehicle sits there in front of the pump.

No, not playing games. And who are you to tell me to stop. :R

Just saying that 'most' people behind me ASSUME I am going in to shop etc. which I NEVER do. And if the line is long at the cashiers they pretty much 'believe' I have shopped.

I have every right to go in and pay for my fuel. Unless you know of law that prohibits that?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
RV park reviews have helped us avoid a lot of this. Guys, be safe and we only have one.
G.H.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Just how the hell do you expect me to get gas???

I pull up to pumps and THEN I go into store to pay for my gas for them to turn pump on.

Pumps don't work unless you use a credit card or GO INSIDE and pay for it.

So YUP, my coach is parked in front of a pump while I go in to pay for my gas at that pump. And NOPE I can't move out of the way for you. :W
I know that you are just playing games here, so stop. No one has suggested that you cannot go inside to pay for your fuel while you are parked at the pump. But there is NO reason to go inside, shop for supplies, get/eat lunch at the attached fastfood joint inside, pay for your fuel, and THEN come out to pump your fuel, all while your vehicle sits there in front of the pump.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Paying in advance still allows the use of debit or credit cards at the pump. Cash payments must be in advance which is a policy at most stations in the US also.

Thanks for the clarification on this!

That means it's going to be just fine on our trip to Alaska to buy gas on our CC to get discount points ... while not having to go inside, maybe wait in line for a clerk, and maybe hold up others outside who would like my spot at the pump.

Cash is no longer King for us.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paying in advance still allows the use of debit or credit cards at the pump. Cash payments must be in advance which is a policy at most stations in the US also.

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Continuing off topic:

Veebyes wrote:
BC is pay in advance. Everywhere. Nuisance but that is the law. Stops drive offs. Send the DW inside with the card

How can a station get "drive-aways" if it's pumps require credit cards or debit cards to be used at the pump in order to get the pump to operate?

What am I missing?

The "drive aways" happened before the "pre-pay" law came into effect.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Continuing off topic:

Veebyes wrote:
BC is pay in advance. Everywhere. Nuisance but that is the law. Stops drive offs. Send the DW inside with the card

Well ... I haven't had my morning cup of coffee yet so I may be confused: :h

Isn't requiring a Credit Card to be swiped (no chip), or inserted (chip), right at the pump before the pump will operate "paying in advance"? Going inside seems baloney to me if a station's pump design and installation can be configured such that a credit card or debit card first be swiped or inserted for the pump to dispense gas.

How can a station get "drive-aways" if it's pumps require credit cards or debit cards to be used at the pump in order to get the pump to operate?

What am I missing?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
Not camping etiquette related but... We had a few too many gas & dash cases here in BC. Grant De Patie, 24 yo, was working at a gas station in '05 when a teenager tried to get away without paying for $12 in gas. The teen dragged Grant under his car for about 5 miles and killed him. It took years but after pressure led by his father, eventually a law called Grant's law was brought in requiring prepayment.

Just to clarify on prepay, you don't have to go inside if you have a valid chip CC. Gas stations here have the same CC pay system at the pumps as in the US. Works basically the same as in WA & OR and I think most other western states that have prepayment. What's annoying in the US is that some gas companies give you a discount for cash and some give you a discount for CC. What's nice about CCs in the US now is that finally (after decades behind us), CCs have chips & PINs. Used to be that some gas stations made you leave a CC inside while you pumped your gas (absurd!). What I really hate in the US is stations that cut you off at $75 when you're trying to fill up a thirsty truck. :M

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to start a new topic thread, but decided to just add another comment here.

We were at Mississinewa State Recreation Area (Indiana) this week-end on site 48. We've been to this campground many times over the years. As always, there are good experiences and bad experiences. But we really enjoy this park and every time we return, it's always a different atmosphere because of the other campers, kids, dogs, noise, camper types, you name it. I suppose every one else has wheels and can move too!

Anyway, we pulled into site 48 and the first thing I noticed were all the cigarette butts on the ground. OMG! I was already pi$$ed at the previous camper who was there. I HATE cigarette butts on the ground. I've yelled at people clear across a parking lot before for inconsiderate behavior, throwing their butts on the ground. I usually get a middle finger as a response, but it doesn't stop me from draw attention to them.

Anyway, after setting up the camper, I started picking up the butts, and then noticed ... baby back rib bones thrown everywhere. Especially under the trailer in the gravel. Well .... I didn't crawl under the trailer to pull them out, but I did get them out of the grass. Then also noticed all the cigarette butts in the fire pit. Who in their right mind thinks cigarrette buts will burn up in a fire?

Also, aluminum foil, and a bunch more rib bones. I got my camping shovel out and scooped out the fire pit and disposed of the ashes in the dumpster before we started our own fire!

Needless to say, I was fuming at the prior campers. Even if the butts were left 2 or 3 campers prior, the last person there SHOULD have been courious enough to pick up the trash.

I'm also the same person who raised a fuss with DNR about people tossing their rubber gloves at the dump station on the ground! (Which really, really, really made me mad).... and by the way ... Maybe something positive came out of my frustration with DRN over this, because I've not seen gloves on the ground since! Or else someone is reading these forums.

So you know, it's just possible, on these forums .... we are NOT singing to the choir only by raising these issues about camping etiquette.

On the positive side, this week-end, the neighbors on both sides of us were polite, curious, turned off their lights when they went inside for the night, kep to themselves, and seemed to have a really nice time while there.

We had a marvelous campfire, and the way the trailers were positioned, all the light of their outside lights were blocked. We had a nice dark night, and could really enjoy the glow of the camp fire. My grandson (5 years old), had so much fun running around with glow sticks and a flashlight because it was nice and dark. That's the way it should be!

Except for the ribs and butts on the ground, we had an absolute great experience this time!

We pulled into a private campground just a little South of Lafayette, Indiana yesterday afternoon. OMG! IT WAS SO DARK AND SO QUIET HERE! We on a site surrounded by trees, full hook-up and only 3 campsites away from the swimming pool! It's so peaceful here! Unbelievable difference between this place and all the hustle and bustle that occurs at State Parks and State Recreation areas!

We're here to Wednesday morning! This is sweet right now!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have stayed at CGs like this and experienced the same. Remember that the seasonal sites pay the bills, not the weekend warriors like us. Management is more concerned with keeping these folks happy than enforcing rules that keep YOU happy. I try to stay away from CGs that have a large % of seasonal sites.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
There are a lot of gas stations in Alberta and BC that state right at the pump "Pay In Advance" with no card option at the pump.

Well that's kind of baloney!! We're planning on an Alaska RV trip through Canada next summer.

I'm not into this cash thing anymore (I carry a little in the wallet, however) ... that went out with the dinosaurs. I earn 5% back per gallon when filling up using a credit card - nowadays that's 15 to 20 cents savings per gallon.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will get no argument from me. Sadly many dog owners do not think of their dogs as vicious. Unfortunately dogs don't have a lot of sense and many have little training. They will attack because you are not a part of their pack.