cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remove 50amp genset and replace with 50 shore power

highlife4me
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have a 96 class A with a 30 amp service but a 50 amp genset that would run both AC units. I would like to remove the generator and wire in a 50 amp shoreline so I can run everything. Does anyone see a problem doing this as long as the proper materials are used?
23 REPLIES 23

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
My rig has an Onan Marquis Gold 7000, which is 7kW and 54 amps total.
Underway, I can run both A/C units and a TV for the Grandchildren.
I do have 30-amp shore power, so I wired in an extra box to accommodate the 20-amps needed to run the forward A/C at the same time. Mostly, I ask for a 50-amp site and use a splitter cable to run both 30-amp and 20-amp cords. Easy, breezy, sweetie.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

Going to make some assumptions here and that you have a 5.5KW genset capbable of delivering 45amps. It has two breakers with one being a 30amp and the other a 20amp, that only feed the rear ac.

Not all the 5500 Onans were 30A-20A HACR, some were 30A-30A.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
tropical36 wrote:

Going to make some assumptions here and that you have a 5.5KW genset capbable of delivering 45amps. It has two breakers with one being a 30amp and the other a 20amp, that only feed the rear ac.
If mine, I'd install a dual power adapter, that you can make up yourself with online instructions, doing a search. This will provide for a separate circuit for the other ac and should give you the extra power you need, especially if you have an EMS system to manage it better.
As for the genset, removing it, will kill every dollar you could possible expect, if you ever decide to sell, so just fix or replace the darn thing, with the same labor you're planning for a 50amp service.

He posted in his second post that he has a 7K.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
highlife4me wrote:
Since I have a 96 class A with a 30 amp service but a 50 amp genset that would run both AC units. I would like to remove the generator and wire in a 50 amp shoreline so I can run everything. Does anyone see a problem doing this as long as the proper materials are used?

If mine, I'd install a dual power adapter, that you can make up yourself with online instructions, doing a search. This will provide for a separate circuit for the other ac and should give you the extra power you need, especially if you have an EMS system to manage it better.
As for the genset, removing it, will kill every dollar you could possible expect, if you ever decide to sell, so just fix or replace the darn thing, with the same labor you're planning for a 50amp service.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Something must not be factory - a 7K genset in a 30A rig? That is one waste of a generator.

It's a 7K generator because it powers the 30A supply plus an additional (separate) second air conditioner circuit. The motorhome is set up to only use one air conditioner on shore power, but can use both simultaneously with the generator running. This is (or at least was) not all that unusual of a setup, though it does have its obvious inconveniences and drawbacks.
OK, that makes sense I guess. I did have a 30A Montana with a 2nd AC option and it came with a 50A plug that fed the second circuit for the AC, but he rig was still 30A. It was 2003 so must have been the same approach. I did only have the 5500 gen. I guess I figured 7K was overkill, but as Dutch said, sounds like it was an option.

So I do remember looking into making that Montana a true 50A, but it would have taken a new panel and pulling in some new circuits and after a while I figured it wasn't worth it and eventually traded. It may be worth it for a MH. The biggest thing to overcome is trying to get in some additional outlets to share the panel and that didn't look easy.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would call the manufacturer first and figure what they were thinking.
No reason to remove your gen set. Have someone that knows what they are doing help you decide your next move. Something is wrong with this picture if your description is accurate.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Something must not be factory - a 7K genset in a 30A rig? That is one waste of a generator.

It's a 7K generator because it powers the 30A supply plus an additional (separate) second air conditioner circuit. The motorhome is set up to only use one air conditioner on shore power, but can use both simultaneously with the generator running. This is (or at least was) not all that unusual of a setup, though it does have its obvious inconveniences and drawbacks.

Exactly... Our previous coach, a 1995 Coachmen with 30 amp, was also equipped with a Marquis 7000. If I had a choice, I'd rather have that one than the Emerald Plus 5500 I have now. The 7000 was very smooth and quiet running at just 1800 RPM instead of the 3600 RPM the 5500 runs at.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
As John said, a true 50 amp generator is 12,000 watts.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not remove the genset.. instead upgrade the RV to 50 amps (new cord inlet and transfer switch new breaker box.

Alternate is the PSRV solution.. Find the wires from the generator TO the 2nd/ AX Split them off to a second 20 amp plug.. Run a new 20 amp lead from where the A/C was connectd to a 20 amp (OUTLET. use a 12ga cord to the park;s 20 amp outlet and you have both A/C.

NOTE: 30 amp is 3600 watts
What you suggest gets you 6,000 watts

Upgrading to 50 amp. FULLY upgrading you get 12,000 watts. and better power feed as well (long story highly techical as to why it is better)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
The only draw back I see with removing a working generator is when you are traveling down the highway in 90+ degree heat you will have no power to run the A/C.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
highlife4me wrote:
Onan Marquis 7000 watt generator
Thanks. According to specs, that's not the same thing as 50a service. 50a is two hots each of 50a for a total of 100a.

That's just a big regular generator. I think Mr Wizard said the same thing.

The Marquis 7000 has two windings, one feeding a 30 amp breaker, and the other feeding a 20 amp breaker. I expect that leads to the "50 amp" confusion. Onan's Emerald Plus 5500 even has a large "50 amp" sticker on the front. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
highlife4me wrote:
Onan Marquis 7000 watt generator
Thanks. According to specs, that's not the same thing as 50a service. 50a is two hots each of 50a for a total of 100a.

That's just a big regular generator. I think Mr Wizard said the same thing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman