Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Super C Motor Home Questions

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All.

I have some questions on Super C motor homes.

1) How long have they been around?
2) Are they all diesel?
3) How many full time in a Super C?
4) What is the towing capacity?
5) Any advantages of a Super C over a Class A or vise versa?

I have been investigating Class A gas, motor homes for full timing when I retire. Recently discovered the Super C's. I have looked at regular class C's but don't know if they would be big enough for me to full time in. It is just me but don't know if I would be comfortable in one or not.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
15 REPLIES 15

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I can answer your specific questions, but have a Renegade Verona Frieghtliner M2. What I would say is the ride comfort is similar or better than Ford 350s F 450s. The difference is in cab creature comforts......M2 is more cramped, no map pockets, glove compartments etc. The Freightliner is reminisent of 70s era big 3 offerings with hollow doors a truck like appointments.

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
What about ride comfort on Medium Duty chassis based Super C's?

Specifically, by "Medium Duty", I am referring to "real" medium duty platforms with a Front GAWR between 7.5K lbs to 9.5K lbs.

Examples would include Super C's based on the Freightliner M2-106 & M2-112; International Durastar & MV Series; Ford F650 & F750; GM 6500 & 7500, with GVWRS between 19.5K lbs to 33.5K lbs.

Even more specifically, I'm interested in hearing feedback on the M2-106 platform (such as what some Jayco Seneca models referred to upthread are based on).

For those who have transitioned upward from van based cutaway platforms (such as the E-450 and G-4500), or from HD light truck platforms (F-450/550 & C4500/5500).... was the move upward to a true medium duty straight truck (M2-106 or Durastar) "jarring"?

Or did the additional coach weight of the new platform balance out the increased capacity for a zero net change in ride comfort?

Or did the ride actually improve?

Likewise, for those who have transitioned "downward" (stereotypically speaking) from Class A models into Super C models, did you find the driver experience more pleasant? Or less pleasant? I suppose a distinction should be made between front engine vs rear engine Class A models, as front engine Class A's might have equal engine noise as a Class C, whereas rear engine Class A's might be more enjoyably quieter.

Yet this is conjecture on my part, and I would rather seek the opinions of those seasoned with personal and comparative experience.

So what say you?

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door that I plan on using as a toad.

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Well before the RVIA Suoer-C era, Dynamax had been building motorhomes on DOT class 5 to class 8 chassis, and several custom converters have been building living units on DOT class 6 to class 8 chassis since time eternal. As since none of these converters are RVIA members, their products are not RVIA Class C, of which Super-C is a subset. It is another market entirely, just as entertainer coaches, and crew road coaches, are not RVs.

Renegade RV has been making Cs on Chevrolet and Freightliner Class 7 and 8 chassis long before that, and they *are* RVIA. They used to call them "Toterhomes," as their towing capacity allowed for 30' stacker trailers weighing in at over 20,000 lbs to be pulled safely.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the mass market RV, what is now called Super C showed up in 2003 with the introduction of the third generation General Motors Kodiak/Topkick platform, continuing on with lightweight International platforms when General Motors left the medium duty truck market as one of the provisions of the Federal bailout.

Since then, their have been similar offering on Ford MDT platforms (F-550, F650), International, and Freightliner "Business Class" chassis, DOT weight classes 5 and 6.

Many of the RV industry Super-C models were not diesel. For most Chevy/GMC offerings the Vortec 8100 V-8 was offered in preference to the 6.6 liter Duratec (about $10,000 difference in price), and for similar cost reasons your will usually find Ford chassis Super Cs with the 6.8 liter Triton V-10 rather than a PowerStroke diesel, or a larger Cummins as one goes up in chassis size. However, anyone building Super-C on International or Freightliner chassis, the engine will be diesel, just not one you might find in a diesel pickup truck.

Well before the RVIA Suoer-C era, Dynamax had been building motorhomes on DOT class 5 to class 8 chassis, and several custom converters have been building living units on DOT class 6 to class 8 chassis since time eternal. As since none of these converters are RVIA members, their products are not RVIA Class C, of which Super-C is a subset. It is another market entirely, just as entertainer coaches, and crew road coaches, are not RVs.

Towing capacity of a DOT class 8 conversion can be upwards of 60,000 pounds, assuming you can keep the chassis and house down to 20,000 or less. You have 40 tons of GCWR to work with, how much for the house, how much for the tow, you work that out when you plan your custom build. Set aside a couple million dollars.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Mile-High-Endur
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Hello All.

I have some questions on Super C motor homes.

1) How long have they been around?
2) Are they all diesel?
3) How many full time in a Super C?
4) What is the towing capacity?
5) Any advantages of a Super C over a Class A or vise versa?

I have been investigating Class A gas, motor homes for full timing when I retire. Recently discovered the Super C's. I have looked at regular class C's but don't know if they would be big enough for me to full time in. It is just me but don't know if I would be comfortable in one or not.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

1. The name showed up in 2004. But concept has been around long before that.
2. Currently they are all diesel. The Chevy C5500 models came in gas and diesel. Several manufactures used both engine. Most by Gulf Stream.
3. We spent 5 to 6 months ours. I have met others that full time.
4. You can tow around 6k. Depends on how loaded the MH is. Some of the newer ones have more towing than that..
5. If you look at a 35โ€™ Class A and compare it to a 35โ€™ Class C. There is more living space in a ClassA. Part of the 35โ€™ in a Class C is the hood.
The Class C are easier to do Chassis maintance.
In 2019 Chevy is coming out with a new Medium Duty chassis. I look forward to seeing some of them with a Class C on it

Ron makes some good points.

We fulltimed in our Endura for 7 years and just recently bought a house. My wife doesn't like being on display behind the big windshield of a class A. I believe the cab of a Super C is safer than the drivers area of a Class A. There are extra doors to get in and out of the rig. The tow hitch is rated at 10k# and I towed a 7500# trailer last summer. When we started it was my Wife and I along with 2 dogs and 2 cats. One dog was 75# too. Also I prefer driving a truck instead of a bus.

Jeff
2005 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 8.1 gas
2000 24' Pace Shadow Limited w/ Husky Equilizer Hitch - resting in Texas while we fulltime
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ PS, PB, Automatic, Factory Air

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to full-time solo, I would look at towing a small vehicle to get around daily. The motor home itself would be a tiny diesel pusher, specifically a 2014-2015 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR. They offer plenty of under-belly storage for full timing. The compact 29.5 length keeps the size reasonable for someone doing life that way alone. Staying under 30 feet will also be very accommodating in our national parks & monuments, and other public lands.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would do a Super C just for the fact that servicing the chassis is way easier.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will probably stick with my original idea of a Class A gas in the 35' range. If the living space and storage is bigger in the Class A that would be the way I would go. Thought that a Super C might have been an alternative but it doesn't sound like I would be happy with it.

Thank you for your responses.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
Oh what i wouldn't give for a nice jayco Seneca Super C! :B

Yup.
My dream RV.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
There are kind of two categories of Super Cs. You have the Super Cs that are built on Ford, Chevy or Ram 450/4500 or 550/5500 chassis that have hydraulic brakes and essentially the same drivetrains as those found in heavy duty pickups. They are incrementally more capable than regular Cs in terms of size, weight and towing capacities.

Then you have the "mega" Super Cs that are built on class 8 commercial truck chassis. These have a broad range of weights and capacities, typically with air brakes. They can have GVWRs of over 40,000 lbs and GCWRs of 50-80,000 lbs.

At a glance, the Super Cs appear to be all in the same "class", but there is a huge range of weight capacity, towing capacity and price.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Oh what i wouldn't give for a nice jayco Seneca Super C! :B
Proud father of a US Marine

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
We full time in a C. (Renegade Verona). We have been in it just over a year. Before that we fulltimed in a 5th wheel for 11 years. You can full time in anything. On our travels we have seen fulltimers in every imaginable rv. The one thing about a C is storage......not much compared to a similar size A or trailer. The driveshaft takes away a lot of space. Good luck in your search.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Some Iโ€™ve seen tow 20k.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...