cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof seam sealants

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
My roof is all fiberglass . But I need to redo long seams on each side and across both ends. I need to remove alot of old sealant . That was just straight silicone the last owner put on . I have some dicor for the very top parts but ends do I use that new tape style stuff ? And sides need to be a off white more firm style to stay in the seams. Any pointers would be great or recommendations where to find which one to use.

Itasca55
11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fpresto wrote:
I have heard, but don't personally know, that Winnebago uses the sealant to hold the roof on and it must be replaced at regular intervals. Obviously a 1992 is not under warranty but the insurance companies also know. A buddy of mine who lives in Richmond, VA had the roof of his Itasca partially blow of during a storm this spring. The absolute first thing that the adjuster asked him was when was the last time he replaced the sealant. In his case it had only been about a month and he still had some partial tubes to show the adjuster. I don't think the timing of the question was just a coincidence.

the take home lesson here, buy a tube of the correct sealant, squirt out half of it, leave remainder of tube in RV to show adjuster.
bumpy

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard, but don't personally know, that Winnebago uses the sealant to hold the roof on and it must be replaced at regular intervals. Obviously a 1992 is not under warranty but the insurance companies also know. A buddy of mine who lives in Richmond, VA had the roof of his Itasca partially blow of during a storm this spring. The absolute first thing that the adjuster asked him was when was the last time he replaced the sealant. In his case it had only been about a month and he still had some partial tubes to show the adjuster. I don't think the timing of the question was just a coincidence.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Considering the coach is a 1992 Itasca Sunrise Eternabond tape is going work best.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eternabond all the way. I've seen it used very successfully on a church roof made of metal 2 stories up. Nobody can see it anyway. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info . We need to keep the old rigs dry .. Will post how projects going ..

Itasca55

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
For Winnebago, follow these directions. Non-painted vs painted use different sealants. Painted is just silicone.

Winnebago Roof Seal

This is by far, the best answer for this question. I have given this same answer multiple times on different forums. And I'm not a fan of the "Scotch tape" aka Eternabond either. As has been stated on here more than once, Eternabond is not designed for strength, just it's ability to seal. Besides, after paying as much for this coach we have, I'm not wanting to destroy it's looks by putting tape all along the top edge.

We read of a few issues with a Winnebago/Itasca roof on here, every now and then. And what to use to remedy those issues is always kind of a debate. Winne has a callout list for what sealants/adhesives are to be used, where. But, the video what Mile High provides is pretty much what Winne/Itasca calls for, for certain model motorhomes.

Lichtsinn RV is right down the street from the Winne/Itasca (well, used to be Itasca) factory so, they coordinate lots of maintenance and repair procedures.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eternabond is on ours also, great stuff.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
For Winnebago, follow these directions. Non-painted vs painted use different sealants. Painted is just silicone.

Winnebago Roof Seal
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
I think Dicor is great for very small repairs that will not shrink and crack over time. For large seams and panel to panel gaps, you can't beat Eternabond tape. It's impossible to tear unless you cut it with an knife and the glue is a tough to get off if you stick it in the wrong place. My other 3 coaches had Dicor and I was always having to check and repair the caulking. My current coach was switched to Eternabond and now I just have to check and have never had to make a repair after 7 years of ownership. You have to remove the old caulk to apply new caulk anywway, so you might as well install the tape and be done with it.

Dave
07 Revolution 40E

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
maintain your roof the way Winnebago specifies. no scotch tape for me.
bumpy

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big fan of Eternabond tape (it's been around for decades) that I've used on both of my RVs. One with a rubber roof and my newest with the fiberglass roof. I use 4" Ebond on the end cap seams and 2" Ebond along the edges, full length.

After reading many postings by owners of various roof issues over the last 15 years, I went ahead and covered the seams with Ebond so I don't have to mess with it very often. Getting on up in years and sometimes get dizzy climbing up on the roof so that's a factor. Had it checked at the factory a couple months ago and it's still in good condition. No needed maintenance.

Here's my blog entry about what I do: Fiberglass Roof maintenance...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.