cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding toolboxes to the sides

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a number of builds with toolboxes on the side of the truck. I want to buy a of F250 or F350 with a 7.3 and a camper of a similar age. What would be the best way to go about that? Look for a work truck to buy, buy new bed, flatbed or one with the to boxes on it. I want to have extra storage particular for good and what not. We'll be traveling months at a time as a family so I can't use the back seat as I do now. Thanks for the advice.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
27 REPLIES 27

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks will do, about to be in Whitehorse, YK so I should have better internet.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
http://xpcamper.com/versions/truck-trays/
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

BMB
Explorer
Explorer
re: mkirsch

check out https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14122053/srt/pa/pging/1/page/139.cfm

third pic up from the bottom
Brown

2017 F-350 w/aluminum flatbed
2016 Northern Lite 10-2 Lite

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a plan, lol.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that would be the ideal setup. Spot-on.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ That would be my ultimate expedition setup as well. (I might have a Dodge though.... lol).
Look at a setup like Bedlams on here and then scale back the camper and truck to your needs.
The more I think about it, a Dually makes all the sense in the world for what you’re doing. First is the security of extra tires and stability. If you bring one spare, youactually have 3 spares if absolutely necessary. Second, dually tires are typically smaller, less expensive and those sizes are super common and I’d imagine more readily available than if you shoed up a SRW with big tough tires.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here's the combination I would recommend:

1. F350 DRW 4x4 diesel or gas, you don't need 1000ft-lbs of torque to move a truck camper so a 7.3L diesel would be fine.
2. Flat bed.
3. 9.5' floor length camper. A camper this size will be light enough that you can load up elsewhere.
4. Aluminum tool boxes to fill in the spaces under the camper wings. The kind you see mounted to the bed rails on contractor's pickup trucks.
5. Aluminum tool boxes hung under the bed if you need additional storage and can spare the clearance. Maybe low profile to maximize clearance.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
An alternative to tool boxes on a flatebed I built full length side doors out of pt ply . They give me 21"x21"x96" storage on both sides with less than 50# added weight . They are lockable but not waterproof . I use waterproof plastic bins of various sizes . Very versatile . Picture in profile . Just a thought .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Just had the wife looking at a Lance 825 which has a gross weight of 2000 lbs, even said you could use a Toyota, Nissan, or F150 with it. Point being she thinks something around that size would work. That being said I still want the toolboxes and an F250/F350. We used to backpack around the world, with small backpacks too. We don't need anything huge but we'll likely go a bit bigger than that.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
One thing with a srw is if you drop the TC it's now narrower than the dually. I'd like to be able to drop the TC every now and then. Hell maybe I should just find a very small hard sideded off-road trailer. I might just consider that.

Anyone here who's actually had a truck with the toolbox setup? Like it? Hate it? World have dinner something differently the second time around? Prefer something else altogether? Anyone drive these or of the country, and USA north doesn't count, lol. I'd like to get some info from people who have actually driven some of these rigs. I know some of you who already posted have.

It seems like I've seen quite a few of them in areas where expedition type vehicles are found, and that's what I'm looking for really, just much cheaper. I can get a truck for ~10k and a camper for ~5k and have plenty of money to make whatever modifications I want versus ~100k+ for one of those sweet German expedition vehicles I see around(and that would probably be a good deal on a pretty old one, plus you can't drop them and use them as a pickup).
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice, definitely going to get a 350 then since I want a 4x4 this time(my current F250 is rear wheel drive). I know they make srw F350 but you make a good point about the width of the camper, most likely not going to get something that narrow. I'm thinking a flatbed sounds like the way to go, more versatile. I don't plan to do a whole lot to boost the engine, I'm not worried about driving fast, especially in other countries. I think that's a worthwhile trade off for the storage space personally, especially with two kids, a wife, and a dog. Who knows maybe I'll go with a Tacoma and a popup though(however the wife has to be happy).
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Getting an F350 doesn’t mean it has to be a dually, they made single rear wheel F350s.
The F250 is just as capable with a few simple upgrades you’ll be doing anyway, it has the same rear axle, frame, etc.
However, you don’t want a four wheel drive F250 of that vintage because they have that awful-steering, tire-wearing twin I beam front axle setup. If you’re getting a four wheel drive, get an F350, it has the very superior solid-axle front end.

It’s ridiculous to get a single rear wheel truck on the basis of it being narrower. The camper is going to be as wide as a dually anyway, you gain nothing and you lose a lot of capacity and stability. A flatbed or service body will be as wide as the camper too.
(They did make special narrow ones but if you’re carrying a camper and want boxes, one of those won’t do.)

If you’re still concerned about that, be aware that duallies that were originally built as a cab & chassis have a narrower rear axle and the track width isn’t as wide as on trucks that came with pickup beds on them. That’s because the inside tire couldn’t be moved inboard on pickups without also moving the pickup-bed wheel wells inboard - and then nothing would fit in them like campers or the proverbial 4x8 sheets of plywood.
That’s not an issue with flatbeds and service bodies. The rear axle is narrower and inside tire is further inboard and the outside one isn’t as far outboard.

The 7.3 doesn’t have to be a “low output” motor. There are all sorts of things you can do to up the power and retain reliability. It’s more expensive to do it right and keep or improve reliability at the same time but still way cheaper than a new or newer truck that has a million electronic ways to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere with no way to get it going.

The others who have posted so far are right - those “service bodies”, the ones with all the storage boxes built in, are HEAVY. Especially when those boxes get full of stuff.
They also almost always leak and get a little damp inside.
But they absolutely rock for space. With the exception of a few that were originally built for campers, it will take a little cutting and welding to modify one to accept most campers. The inside bed width between the tool boxes, toward the rear, needs to be widened on at least one side.

With a service body or flatbed, they’re also right, you’ll end up quite a bit taller.
Bad for stability and getting in and out.

The other truck to consider is a ‘94-‘98 Dodge with a 12 valve Cummins and either a manual transmission or a $5000 fully performance-built automatic. Super reliable, zero electronics. But getting harder to find in low-mile nice shape.

The earlier model Ford and Dodge diesel pickups - if in really nice shape - are commanding pretty high prices. The old “it’s a 20 year old pickup, it isn’t worth much” way of thinking is out the window. They’re in high demand because of their simplicity, something you can’t get in a newer model. Simplicity IS reliability.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
How is your Polish , Czarkowski?
My friends did such trip from California to Ecuador while driving RAV4.
Their baby was 1 year old at the time.
But regardless young age they are avid travelers.
http://www.pelikanochomik.com/
Good luck figuring out right camper for such trip.
BTW in forum archives you will find trip reports (can't bring the handle to my memory) by Canadian member, who frequent Mexico.
He had small camper and was pulling utility trailer behind.
Not my kind of luxury, but worked for him.

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel I travel in the US. I want something for driving the Pan American highway. That's the entire reason I talking about this. I already did Baja with my fifth wheel. Yes some of the roads were narrow, I've been on worse, unfortunately. That's part of the reason I'd like something smaller.

The Pan American highway handles 18 wheelers so I think it could handle a dually if needed. In fact I know it could and would certainly be better than my 35 ft fifth wheel. I'd like something smaller than my fifth wheel but comfortable enough to spend months at a time in it. I know people have done it in school busses, so a truck camper should be a piece of cake compared to that. I want to drive to Argentina and back over the course of a few years. No vehicle is perfect for something like that.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com