cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

can I increase my tow vehicle's tow rating

ray_biggs
Explorer
Explorer
am confused. just read in july. manufacturer's use engine power for tow rating but further states if you improve performance it won't improve tow rating?
34 REPLIES 34

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
2X what Jon says

As for being out of warranty...yes, true...but...there continues to be a liability back to the OEM regardless of how old it is...Note that one of the years covered is 2001 and does anyone think they are still under warranty?...heck does anyone think any of those listed are still under warranty?...but...over all liability is always still there...the OEM's 'can buyout' that over all liability with a public notice and honor the terms the government accepts (time limit, dollar amount per, etc, etc)

Why one of my small companies dropped our people movers product line...Ski Lift controls and drives. Crazy jury awards...even though the product was years/decades out of warranty. Ditto other people mover market sectors. Really forced to get out of those market sectors by our insurance

So again...anyone of the freebie forum advisors going to put their skin into their mouth/advice????

An example is the current air bag recalls...

Critical Warning Regarding Certain Honda, Acura, Mazda and Ford Vehicles with Takata Air Bags
NHTSA wrote:

Summary

NHTSA urges consumers to not drive these vehicles unless they are going straight to a dealer to have them repaired immediately:

2001-2002 Honda Civic
2001-2002 Honda Accord
2002-2003 Acura TL
2002 Honda CR-V
2002 Honda Odyssey
2003 Acura CL
2003 Honda Pilot
Certain 2006 Ford Ranger (Ford advises do not drive)
Certain 2006 Mazda B-Series (Mazda advises do not drive)

New test data on the defective Takata air bag inflators in these vehicles show a far higher risk of ruptures during air bag deployment than for other recalled Takata air bags.

If you own one of these vehicles, search the Recalls Lookup using your vehicle identification number (VIN) to confirm that the vehicle has an unaddressed recall and needs a repair. If it does, immediately call your dealer to schedule a free repair. Replacement parts for these vehicles are available. Additional information is available here.

{edit}...just in case someone thinks only these OEM's are affected...ALL are affected...even American badge vehicles...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Again, yes, the original rating CAN be changed. Read the Owners Manual. The tow rating is quite likely based primarily on the differential ratio.
If you ordered your new truck with 3.55 to one gears, the tow rating will likely be quite low. If you decide your need better towing performance, and have 4.10 to one gears installed, you have changed the tow rating to whatever the owners manual says it is with 4.10 gears.
If your axle can hold a gear set that is not a normal option, let's say 5.88 gears, your tow rating becomes off the charts, because the manufacturer has no rating for that gear set.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Just donโ€™t use the word rating, because even if you take a Toyota Tundra and crush it, melt it down into a pot of molten steel, add more to the pot, then remanufacture it into a Kenworth W900, the original Toyota rating cannot be changed.
You're wrong.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
If a vehicle is already out of warranty, thatโ€™s a non-issue.

Since this deteriorated into a semantics argument, yes you absolutely can increase a truckโ€™s capability.

Just donโ€™t use the word rating, because even if you take a Toyota Tundra and crush it, melt it down into a pot of molten steel, add more to the pot, then remanufacture it into a Kenworth W900, the original Toyota rating cannot be changed.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Those claiming only the manufacturer can change the ratings are completely incorrect. Anyone can do it. Legal requirements are in 49CFR567, especially sections 7 and 4.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Main difference on these freebie forums...advice is worth what one has paid for...

Key is that the OEMs have a warranty obligation vs us advisors...we do another a have any skin in โ€˜yourโ€™ situation

Can only speak for myself...of my advice here...I have to sleep at nite, as take my advice seriously

Over time...Towing experience โ€œteachesโ€ via hard knock schooling...some never learn...others get PhDโ€™s...and everything in between

There is only one person held responsible for the setup/situation and that is the driver...

The OEMs provide a warranty and that is based/limited on their ratings...that is based on rules provided by DOT and there are agencies and certifications that apply...and yes...there are CYAโ€™s from the OEMs...mainly in the fine print

Does any of the advisors here or any othe forum provide any warranty covering their advice ???
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:
Snip...
According to the geniuses here, I didnโ€™t increase its rating.
And because an engineer didnโ€™t tell me how to do it (as if heโ€™d even know!!!) I obviously donโ€™t know what I was doing.

I think if youโ€™ve never built a car or truck, you have little business giving advice on subjects like this.
You donโ€™t know what the parts are and whatโ€™s different and whatโ€™s the same.
All you know is brochure propaganda.

On big trucks, you increase the rating when you add drop axles or a heavier front end and super singles. When guy upgrade the right things on a smaller truck, same thing.

Moderator hat off
Before you start flaming members for their well intended advice, you should realize (and I'm sure you do but don't post like you do :R) that there is a big difference between a trucks "rating" which is set by the manufacturer and its' "capabilities" which can be modified by the owner to accomplish things beyond the "rating". When you built your truck, you didn't increase its rating at all, you DID increase its capabilities.

The members here have been around the block many times and know what they are talking about. They offer their advice given the many years of experience they have had towing many different types of trailers with many different types of vehicles. They have as much right to be giving advice on towing and weights as you do and quite possibly more. By your comments, it sounds like you are kind of stuck on yourself and your "experience". Believe me, we have many members who have up to 50-60 years experience dealing with the towing subjects and weights involved just as I have. You have NO right to tell them that they "have little business giving advice on subjects like this.
You donโ€™t know what the parts are and whatโ€™s different and whatโ€™s the same.
All you know is brochure propaganda."

Balogna!:M
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
If the factory changes the equipment to heavier springs or axles the rating goes up.
If you do the same, it doesnโ€™t. Because, we all bow to The Great Yellow Sticker.
Yeah right.
I once swapped the entire frame in my old F150 to one from an F250. I put in springs from an F350 and the 3/4 ton front and rear axles.
The body still had โ€œF150โ€ emblems on it and I didnโ€™t change the doors or glovebox lid.
According to the geniuses here, I didnโ€™t increase its rating.
And because an engineer didnโ€™t tell me how to do it (as if heโ€™d even know!!!) I obviously donโ€™t know what I was doing.

I think if youโ€™ve never built a car or truck, you have little business giving advice on subjects like this.
All you know is brochure propaganda.

On big trucks, you increase the rating when you add drop axles or a heavier front end and super singles. When guy upgrade the right things on a smaller truck, same thing.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
Upgrade your rig the way you want and feel comfortable towing with and go camping.

+1
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrade your rig the way you want and feel comfortable towing with and go camping.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
As I previously stated, there ARE "upfitter shops" all across the country that CAN and WILL modify a rig to increase the ratings, AND can and will print a new door post sticker that reflects the increased ratings.
In fact, I do believe there is one right here in Billings. I don't know for sure, because I have never had a need for any of their services.
Also, any Rating that is based on optional equipment can be changed by changing the optional equipment. Those ratings (GCWR, Max. Towing) are never on the door sticker.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing really confusing about it.

Can you increase performance, and therefore increase towing PERFORMANCE? Sure

Can you increase tow RATING? No. Manufacturers ratings are what they are.

You can certainly improve the performance, and determine on your own, based on your knowledge, what that does to your ability to tow what you want to tow. But, you won't be changing the rating, or the placards that are on your door jamb that are used to determine that rating.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
What was the original question?

Responding to this brag...because of the many, many, many lurkers out there would THINK the below is justification to follow the the โ€œ I can...therefore it is okayโ€....vis...following their OEMโ€™s ratings/specification/etc

ray biggs wrote:
thanks for beating up on me, I can take it but I think the last 3 comments are a bit over the top. I've upgraded my trailer axles from 5400lbs to 7200lbs my trailer tires from 15" 4ply to 16"6 ply upgraded my front rotors to dimpled and slotted my rear springs increased by 3000lbs have a 1200 lb safety cushion between the tow capacity and scaled fully loaded trailer weight. and for this I'm going to kill women and children get ticked by the police and blame manufacturers if something goes wrong. I guess this is why I don't facebook.
-Ben Picture of my rig

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
What was the original question?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP