cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rearend wobble on Newmar

sycamore92
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new 2018 Newmar, Ventana. We tow with a blueox tow bar.
We have experienced a bad rearend wobble while making a left turn. It doesn’t happen
All the time. Have driven thr rv for apx. 2,000 miles and the wobble has happened
3 times. Have taken it to Freightliner and they can not find any problems with the tag axle or rearend of the rv. Any suggestions? Have used the same tow bar on our other rv for years and have never experienced this problem! Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the 'not feeling well' wobble (not bad enough to be a death wobble) in my case it was caused a couple times by my incorrect setup. I have a 36' Class A, Blue Ox tow bar, and Saturn toad. A couple times now, I have inadvertently hooked up the drivers side pin connection from the Blue Ox upside down. Driving along seemed normal for the most part, but then I'd notice a wobble. The wobble would come and go, but was worse on long left turns.

Stopping the rig, and flipping the Blue Ox connector over at the car fixed it.

Any chance you might be doing that?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 'death wobble' referenced comes with cars that have ELECTRONIC steering. When you disconnect it thru removal of the fuse, or batteery cable, it will cause what you're describing. That said, if it is, in fact, the death wobble you're talking about it will be a really bad wobble. Yes, Ford, Chevy and Jeep all have this issue. The fix is to power your steering while turning off everything else. Chevy fixed theirs by removing a different fuse and Jeep provided a wiring harness to fix theirs. Ford, I believe, still refuses to acknowledge the problem exists...Dennis

Here is a video.

Here is Chevy's fix.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
There is a known problem with wobble that happens when flat towing several makes of cars (including my Malibu). When in a turn and you hit a bump it sets off the tow car causing the front tires to wobble back and forth so badly that you think is coach has a serious problem like a flat tire or the rear axle is coming off! Upon investigation, it happens on vehicles that have electric power steering. One time it happened I remembered to check the rear camera and was surprised to how badly the car shook. Some have used a strap or bung cord on the steering wheel to the door post (like a tow truck operator would do) to minimize the problem.

Dave
07 Revolution

sycamore92
Explorer
Explorer
SisecarFlip, the tag axle steers with the front. I’ve had that checked out. But thanks for the
Suggestion.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like the tag axle has to much air in the bags and the tires are skipping. Per chance do you have an air dump for the tag so when going around a corner you can relieve the down pressure on the bags?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

sycamore92
Explorer
Explorer
Tow a 2016 Ford Edge.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
sycamore92 wrote:
We have a new 2018 Newmar, Ventana. We tow with a blueox tow bar.
We have experienced a bad rearend wobble while making a left turn. It doesn’t happen
All the time. Have driven thr rv for apx. 2,000 miles and the wobble has happened
3 times. Have taken it to Freightliner and they can not find any problems with the tag axle or rearend of the rv. Any suggestions? Have used the same tow bar on our other rv for years and have never experienced this problem! Any suggestions?

What type of car do you tow?

Some new models are having this problem,very well be the car and not the motorhome...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES