cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Business Liability Insurance

life_sgood
Explorer
Explorer
Found work doing some construction at campground in NY (as independent contractor)for about 4 months, owner wants liability insurance. Any ideas? (Have Escapees Texas address)
6 REPLIES 6

speed2020
Explorer
Explorer
life'sgood wrote:
Found work doing some construction at campground in NY (as independent contractor)for about 4 months, owner wants liability insurance. Any ideas? (Have Escapees Texas address)

Ohh, I stumbled upon this thread by accident, although I do not understand anything in business and insurance, but nevertheless I could give you advice. My uncle used to work in the construction of residential complexes and he worked closely with the insurance company https://generalliabilityinsure.com/. Once these guys paid him a lawyer and they were able to win in court, so this is a very reliable company. They insure any business, so I think they can help you. Good luck!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could advise if you were in MI - they have a policy available thru the state pool that will satisfy the requirement for someone who is 1099 . Don't know if NY has that or not. I would contact a NY insurance agent ( try State Farm) and use an address for NY where you are staying as an address for a policy. Tell them what the employers wants you to have and get a quote. They will have something if not the state pool option.\ Your home state of TX would be the next option but cost may be prohibitive working outside your home state.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm retired and as a side line, I do a some Handy Man work from home.
My rate is very low compared to big company's. I tell customers up front that I have no ins. or lic.
If they wanted me to have those, then my rate would be much higher. I would tell you new employer the same thing.
If he want's you to have it, he will be expected to pay more.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Agree with above. Do some shopping around. Liability insurance can be outrageously expensive depending on the coverage. We had a small business and the insurance was a significant yearly expense. May not be worth it for what you plan to do unless the pay is very good.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Think you need to contact your insurance agent.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Careful Life'sgood. What is NY law on your liability as an independent contractor if you goof? Drop a tool and bust something owned by the campground or a camper. Who pays? NY law exempt you from a construction license? What's the penalty if you are caught? Don't assume NY law is the same as CA law.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad