cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route from Rte 9 to Rte 1 in Maine

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We'll be travelling from NB to the Bar Harbour (actually Sullivan) area in Maine next week. We'll take Route 9 from Calais but are wondering which route to take off of that to get to our destination. The map shows several possibilities, seemingly from shortest to longest distance:

1) R193 to R1
2) R179 to R1
3) R179 to R200 to R1
4) R181 to R180 to R1A to R1
5) R46 to 1A to R1
6) R1 all the way from Calais (The other routes avoid most of Rte 1. The last time along this was a few years ago and it was quite rough at that time. If it's been upgraded, this might be the best route.)

We're bumper pulling a 30ft trailer. I'm wondering which route would be in the best shape and be safest to use. Any help would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
For those interested.... Route 179 was in great shape. Two lane with lots of curves. No paved shoulders or paying lanes but the roadway was good.

GaryInMaine
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how it goes. Enjoy!
2013 Wildcat Sterling Edition

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out this am. I think we'll give 179 a shot. Thanks for everyone's input.

GaryInMaine
Explorer
Explorer
46 was repaved a few years ago, but after last winter who knows. 179 is a little more direct, the last time I drove it was last year and it did have a few rough spots, but was not bad at all.

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions Gary and Kevden. So, it seems a choice between Rte 179 and Rte 46. Both avoid Millbridge and Rte 200. Wonder which of these is in best shape?

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
I would go 9 to eddington and cross 46 to 1a toward Ellsworth. Any route through milbridge is terribly bumpy and potholed right now, as well as the entire length of 200. But, I have not driven the length of 9 for a couple years so I’m not sure if that way is any better...
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

GaryInMaine
Explorer
Explorer
I think your best bet is #2. We had a tough winter so most of the routes from R9 - R1 will have some bad spots! Take it slow and enjoy the ride....

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
Bump. Nobody familiar with northeast Maine secondary roads here?