cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog bathing on extended trips

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you bath your pets when on extended road trips? We have a truck camper without a shower and most campgrounds do not want you to use outside water sources because of grey water issues. Thanks J and B
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed
14 REPLIES 14

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Late to this thread, but here's my suggestion: When it's bath time for the dogs we drop them off at a vet and take the opportunity for a day of no-dog activities such as antique home tours. I prefer vets to groomers because they usually don't use drying cages and I just feel the dog is safer being handled by pros. The dogs understand the whole grooming routine and return unstressed & clean, having spent the day in air conditioning.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
If our small dog just needs rinsing to get sand off of her we use the outside shower with warm water. If she needs a bath she goes in our shower. Our shower is large with a seat in it if need be so washing a small dog is not a problem. Lucky our 91 lb has to get his outside. The good thing is normally Lucky does not need one when we travel. Lucie is so close to the ground and has no under coat so she really gets dirty quick.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

MandJ76
Explorer
Explorer
We use a waterless dog shampoo.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use either our kitchen sink ( cleaned well afterward) or our shower with handheld shower head. We have a small dog that get cold easily when wet so couldn't ever use cold water on her. Either way, I also need a shower when we are done.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
we camp primary in Fla and ga state parks. My 115lb boy (DOG) get a bath near the camper Early in the Morning and then goes for a long walk to shake and dry Off. afterward I have to TAKE A BATH....LOL

bathing a dog is not the same as washing a camper
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Second Chance wrote:
My brother-in-law and stepson - both veterinarians - say dogs should be bathed/washed every seven years or when they get skunked... whichever comes first.

Rob

Which is great if you love the smell of 7yr unwashed dog after he comes back from a swim in pond water.

Most RV parks wouldn't bat an eye at you spending 10 minutes hosing Fido down as long as you don't leave the water running the whole time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
First, environmentally safe oatmeal shampoo,
Second, a good stick
Throw stick in lake a few times to get the dog wet,.
Soap dog up
Throw stick back in lake so dog rinses self
Beer time
:C

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother-in-law and stepson - both veterinarians - say dogs should be bathed/washed every seven years or when they get skunked... whichever comes first.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I trade mine in on a clean one.
Dennis Hoppert

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Wash the dog after dark. No one will see you then. :h

Ours has an outside kitchen. I have a hose on the sink faucet. We just wash the dog with that. Never had a problem anyone ever telling us we couldn't do it. Just do it discretely and don't make a scene.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some Tractor Supply and Petco stores have do-it-yourself bath facilities. They supply a professional type bath tub, grooming table, towels and soap. Most importantly they deal with the clean up. The last one I used charged $10.
Larry

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, my trailer has a shower with a shallow tub, so that's what we used. We have used a mobile groomer too. And a few camp grounds have a dog wash station.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I use do-it-yourself dog washes.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Most every mid sized town offers doggie bath houses. Heck even many vets will offer the service as well as Petco and Petsmart.