cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moving dogs to new house

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We will be moving to our new house in mid-August or so. When we moved to this house our Gordon setter & bluetick coonhound just kind of rolled with it. Neither one was what I would consider a "sensitive" dog. Jake I'm sure will be fine-he's just a dope most of the time. However, Jesse is hypersensitive and we want to make the transition as smooth as possible. Can't decide if we want to send them to doggie daycare to keep them out of the way when we move or keep them at the old house out in their kennel and then drive them up when it's time to go. I'm probably overthinking and overreacting, but Jesse is very similar to teenage girl most of the time. Thoughts?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
9 REPLIES 9

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely it will be a couple of weeks between the time we pass papers and we physically move. In that time frame we'll move some of our stuff so we can take them with us at that point. We won't have a fenced yard yet-that's going to present some logistics issues-but we'll do something temporary. Hopefully it won't take long for us to sell our existing house once we get it on the market. Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
My 3 watch dogs will move as soon as I get the fencing up, they are laid back anyway, 1 is a n Aussie, 1 is a 1/2 feist and one is a mix that looks like a miniature German Sheppard. The second group is The Rat Pack 3 1/2 Chihuahuas Pebbles is also 1/2 Feist they really could care less if they are with at least one of us, they are so used to camping nothing much bothers them.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd let them hang with me around the new house a few times before moving, leave them at the old house while you accomplish the move and then introduce them to the new place, show them where their things are and let them explore.

dturm
I agree with leaving them at the old house until the move is completed. We did a move a few years ago and it took us two weeks between painting the new house and making multiple trips with the stuff we could move (Only going about 10 miles away). We did take the dogs over a couple of time to "see" the new place before the final move.

A little off topic, but whenever we arrive at a new campsite in our RV and put the slides out, Kaiya walks to the back and looks around just to make sure everything is there as it should be and her home is back to normal. Kaylee just wants to go outside and see what's there.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I've never moved so far away that my dogs didn't get introduced to the new house before the move? I know during a stressful time in the house (kitchen remodel, for example), my dogs are the most relaxed while in my car. But I agree with Colliehauler - usually they are happy as long as they are with you. My dogs go to "strange" hotels all the time and seem to enjoy it (we never leave them alone, however) - maybe camping teaches them to accept new places better than non-traveling dogs?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, bring all of their stuff with you. Do not buy new beds, bowls, dishes, toys, Etc. They will more comfortable with stuff that they already own.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Overthinking? No. Under thinking, yes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last thing to move into new house.....the dogs

Place in their kennel at old house out of the way until move is complete.

Then introduce Jake to new house

Good luck on the move.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
They'll be more comfortable at home until the move is complete. Most dogs don't care where there at as long as they are with their human.