cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the modern euro style travel trailers?

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer
After going to a few RV shows, it’s just incredibly frustating that we can’t seem to find a travel trailer that doesn’t look and feel like it was designed back in the 80’s.
Closest i’ve seen to what we want is Airstream, but they seem ridiculously overpriced.
Looking outside the US, of course there are some amazing options, all in the $30-40k range equivalent. Where are the US manufacturers who can come close to this?
http://www.adria-mobil.com/caravans/alpina/
or this
http://www.coachman.co.uk/vip
The fit and finish, interior quality all seem lightyears beyond what we have available here. And they’re around half the price of an equivalent Airstream
Anyone know if anyone is importing these anytime soon?
80 REPLIES 80

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
A ten year old Airstream is better than any NEW conventional. Hell, my THIRTY year old Silver Streak is better.

Depreciation has done its thing at ten years. Value rises from then on.

Start looking at used examples.

And, no matter it’s size, you sure don’t need a pickup. That choice ruins highway stability.

FWIW, I paid a couple of dollars UNDER $30k for both vehicles, combined. Twelve years later, they’re worth as much or more. Granted, as third generation I knew what I was doing AND had some luck.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Lance. They offer the Euro look!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
There are also speed restrictions and highway restrictions that tend to eliminate sway starting. There are some interesting articles on the subject written by some Aussies and Brits.

I love it. legislate conditions to make something that is inherently not road worthy, road worthy?
bumpy

No idea if that is so.
The caravans I’ve seen throughout Europe tend to be pulled by diesel estate wagons on 2 lane roads, usually at 60 kmph or less. And with a long line of cars behind.
There isn’t a pickup culture over there, so caravans are designed to be towed by cars for the most part. The small SUV market is growing, though. I certainly wouldn’t want to drive my Silverado most places. We usually rent the smallest car that will take us and luggage.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
There are also speed restrictions and highway restrictions that tend to eliminate sway starting. There are some interesting articles on the subject written by some Aussies and Brits.

I love it. legislate conditions to make something that is inherently not road worthy, road worthy?
bumpy

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Avia by nuCamp, builder of T@B, T@G, and Cirrus.
Avia
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting video
That is really a beautiful trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Proteus wrote:
And here is other gorgeous German TT that doesn’t exist here. Well balanced with low tongue weight so easily towable by a mid size SUV. Wonderful modern interior design. It just makes no sense why we don’t have these options here! All we have is cheap ****...or Airstream. And even the airstreams have much higher tongue weight than they should. Drives me nuts!

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans/eriba-nova-s/living-area.html

As long as you don’t exceed 60 mph and stay off high speed motorways, that is fine.
I also don’t think a cargo capacity of under 400 lbs. for a 23’ camper would do well here.
There are lots of reasons why the Europeans make their caravans the way they do, but most US Americans wouldn’t like them.
I do like the interiors, though.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Proteus wrote:
And here is other gorgeous German TT that doesn’t exist here. Well balanced with low tongue weight so easily towable by a mid size SUV. Wonderful modern interior design. It just makes no sense why we don’t have these options here! All we have is cheap ****...or Airstream. And even the airstreams have much higher tongue weight than they should. Drives me nuts!

So they have somehow bypassed basic physics and built a trailer that doesn't sway with little tongue weight? :h

Nope, the physics are the same. However, their caravans are designed differently than our campers. There are also speed restrictions and highway restrictions that tend to eliminate sway starting. There are some interesting articles on the subject written by some Aussies and Brits.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Proteus wrote:

So they have somehow bypassed basic physics and built a trailer that doesn't sway with little tongue weight? :h

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
They make these in China, not many Australians like the Chinese input.There was another made in China Caravan called Gold Star Chinese have decimated the basic camper trailer industry. Manufacturers have gone to more value added Hybrid Caravans
They are in a Australian style, but are dodgy in hidden areas. Hate to say it but these are better than the US imports
That last sentence says it all
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
The problem here is simple - NA buyers are just not willing to pay for campers of this quality. :R

trail-explorer wrote:
That's a travel trailer (or Caravan) not a camper.
A camper is something that's hauled in a truck, i.e., Truck camper

Baloney - a "camper" is anything with wheels designed for the purpose of camping that you want it to be - popup, hybrid, travel trailer, TC, 5th, MH, whatever, or in places like Australia a car camper, poptop, caravan, whatever you want to call them - they're ALL campers. :R

Yup, anything you can easily move around and sleep in that isn't a tent is a camper.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Hybrid Caravan

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
Looks like we have an importer setup in the US now for these. Ran across them on another forum. Can't believe I wasn't up to speed on these... Curious if RobertRyan has any knowledge of the parent company?
Black Series Campers

They make these in China, not many Australians like the Chinese input.There was another made in China Caravan called Gold Star Chinese have decimated the basic camper trailer industry. Manufacturers have gone to more value added Hybrid Caravans
They are in a Australian style, but are dodgy in hidden areas. Hate to say it but these are better than the US imports