cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back to looking at toyhaulers

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer
I started a couple years ago with looking at toyhauler's and well life got in the way and it took a back burner.

So now Im back to looking and learning.

I would like to keep this an ongoing thread and will post here with any further question's.
I will most likely have to buy another truck, trying to avoid diesel.
I am not opposed to a TTTH unless the advice turns toward 5ver.

A couple of quick question's first.

1. Onboard Generators... how much of the RV will it run? A/c's? Etc
2. Tie down buckles.... anyone know if a track style can be installed?
11 REPLIES 11

dedmiston
Y-Guy wrote:
Dave do you have the Portable Tabletop Grill unit? I love my smoker (non-Traeger) but I'd love to have a more easy to haul one.

That portable one is pretty tiny. It's not bad, but it's still pretty limited. The grill on mine is the same dimensions as a foil catering pan, so I can fit a couple racks of ribs or a full pan of beans on there.

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/elite-series/junior/TFB29LZB.html

More serious smokers like the OP will politely shake their heads at the pellet smokers. I like mine though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
Dave do you have the Portable Tabletop Grill unit? I love my smoker (non-Traeger) but I'd love to have a more easy to haul one.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dedmiston
We took our little Traeger pellet smoker with us last week. I'd rather have a big pit and smoke bigger batches at once, but this portable smoker does ok for travel.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
gattorgetter wrote:
Reason for wanting to stay away from diesel is I dont wanna spend the extra 10k (I am due for a new truck in 2 years).

As far as toys go they would be my smoker's but they are somewhat heavy. (TH would double as my comp trailer)
A single quad. Ice fishing gear.
I also have a sxs that would see some trips.

And we keep getting asked about gas smells! That trailer is going to smell like smoked meat. 1/2 of my backyard smells like smoked meat most of the time due to my smokers and that's outdoors.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
gattorgetter wrote:
Reason for wanting to stay away from diesel is I dont wanna spend the extra 10k (I am due for a new truck in 2 years).

As far as toys go they would be my smoker's but they are somewhat heavy. (TH would double as my comp trailer)

Let's see some pictures of those pits!

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

gattorgetter
Explorer
Explorer

2scootn
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto to what socaladam said. Although husband and I went with the 20 footer with a flip out bed (sort of like a hybrid or tent trailer) so we could modify it to accommodate a King bed. Downsized from a 32 foot diesel pusher with no regrets. There is nothing to rot in the TH since there's no wood - you can pretty much power wash the interior out if you want. Love that the water and holding tanks are the same size as the DP. Only thing I hope ATC changes is the height of the micro/convection - it would benefit from a 6-8" drop down from the ceiling so you're not reaching so far over your head with something hot. LED lighting throughout the entire unit. Love how the entry stairs fold up into the interior, too - no more rusting and road gunk plus they're super sturdy. Just a really well thought out rig. Yes, expensive but completely worth it in our opinion.

socaladam
Explorer
Explorer
gattorgetter wrote:
I started a couple years ago with looking at toyhauler's and well life got in the way and it took a back burner.

So now Im back to looking and learning.

I would like to keep this an ongoing thread and will post here with any further question's.
I will most likely have to buy another truck, trying to avoid diesel.
I am not opposed to a TTTH unless the advice turns toward 5ver.

A couple of quick question's first.

1. Onboard Generators... how much of the RV will it run? A/c's? Etc
2. Tie down buckles.... anyone know if a track style can be installed?

My wife and I just picked up an ATC 28' front bedroom TTTH and we spent a LOT of time researching just about every available option.

What sold us on this TH was the following:

All aluminum construction (frame is 2x8 alum)
5500 onan
35gal fuel tank with fuel station for toys.
2 AC's 13,500BTU
35 gal on board fuel
100 gal fresh
40 gal gray
40 gal black
Airline track (L track) for tiedowns (1666lbs per tiedown)
24' power awning with LED lighting
Fold up dinette that converts to a single bed
Separate bedroom (dedicated AC) with real queen (60x80) bed (not 2/3 or 3/4 queen)
Separate bathroom with full shower (not wet bath)
Happijac motorized bed = 2nd queen bed
Fold up couches = 3rd queen bed
Towing weight (nearly empty) - 6500lbs as measured by a CAT scale
GVRW 11,440lbs

Other bonuses with our TH:
Solar
2x TV's
Radio with bluetooth
Rear screen between ramp door and TH. Great for when you don't want the AC on all the time.
Removable carpeting all throughout.

It was pricy, but I'm a big believer in buy once cry once.

http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/

Y-Guy
The Onan 5500, the 'standard' install in many RVs can run a couple of A/C units, if you have 3 you'll need a larger generator. Some will have a power management system installed that will help to regulate and shut things down to keep other items running.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Why avoiding diesel? Just curious.

For generators, an Onan 4000 ran everything we needed it to in our old TT toyhauler... 1 AC in 95 degree heat, basic electric stuff (lights, phone chargers, electrical systems etc). I did turn off the AC when using a blow dryer just as a precaution but never tried it with it on.

In our current 5er, the Onan 5500 runs everything as well... 2 ACs etc. I don't think they'd put in a generator that couldn't run everything the camper comes with.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dedmiston
Welcome back.

What's your cargo (toys)? That's a big determining factor. Also, how many people are in your family?

As for generators, yes they should be able to run anything that you could run off shore power. For example, my 5er is wired so that I can only run two of the three A/C units at oncde, whether it's on gen power or shore power.

And yes, you can install e-track for your tie downs.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230