cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1986 vs 1987 Ford 460

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a 1987 motorhome with a Ford 460 driveline, make sure you know what year the driveline is before you order engine parts. It is not uncommon for 1987 motorhomes to have a driveline that is a year older, so verify first.
With Ford, if the distributor rotor is like a finger, the engine is a 1986. If you replace the fuel pump/sending until with an '87, the gas gauge will read empty when full if the engine is a 1986.
In 1986 the sending unit was 75 ohms empty, 10 ohms full. In 1987 it changed to 10 ohms empty and 165 ohms full, and the unit looks the same and will fit. I bought mine with the wrong unit already installed and finally figured out what was wrong!
I plan to keep the wrong unit as an emergency spare after I replace it.
9 REPLIES 9

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
My last RV was a '88 Jamboree on a '87 Ford E350 chassis. I always had to remember "'87" when buying engine/chassis parts; the '87 was carb, '88 was fuel injected.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking for chassis information, it's a Ford van chassis, and there is a whole lot of information available from the usual places on it.

If you're looking for information on the house part of the RV--basically everthing but the chassis--you probably won't find much model-specific information. What you can usually dig up is information on any of the specific components and appliances. The cabinetry and so forth is semi-custom, but generally not too complex and not at all beyond a reasonably handy person's ability to figure out or repair or whatever. Likewise, wiring and plumbing systems are broadly similar between most RVs, and if taken separately not too hard to understand.

If you have specific questions, don't be afraid to ask them in the apporpriate forum here; there are a lot of knowledgable people here.

Sllamas109
Explorer
Explorer
Hello iam new to these forums. And I really need some help with a 1987 Ford e350 it's a jamboree with the 460 and 4 barrel carb. I inherited it from my grandfather.who passed and it has been basically gutted and I know nothing about rv s but iam good with mechanics and cars. Where would I find specific information on this specific model? And and helpbu could give would be great
All electrical is terrible

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
The pump/sending unit I ended up buying is part # SP2015H, you can Google it. This should have the correct sending unit, and has the extra port for the generator gas feed. When I have the old unit in hand I will see if the correct sending unit can be installed without too much modification, if any. It will made a good spare.

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
My 1987 Gulfstream has a John Deere chassis, and is carbureted. I wish it was EFI, but you don't have that choice with a used vehicle. The State of California won't let me retrofit, either, to EFI or it won't pass smog. Not due to tailpipe emissions, but due to the law that says no modifications allowed. I had the carb rebuilt by a guy who knows what he is doing, and it runs like it should, there is no lack of power at all. The mileage will always suck, however!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
They were using the carburated 460 in class A units into 1990, sporadically.

Ford F53 chassis 1988 to 1997 was EFI only.
Oshkosh 460 chassis up to 1990 had a carb.
Oshkosh 460 chassis one year only, 1991 was EFI.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
They were using the carburated 460 in class A units into 1990, sporadically.
-- Chris Bryant

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Good find...I've been caught in same problem couple times. I now bring in my VIN number. Last time I got a part for my 03 f350 the break line hose didn't fit. Turns out mine needs a part that has higher GVW rating. Guys at O'Rielly's just go by part number computer says and don't look at the foot notes or details before grabbing a part. I do have a "parts" manual for my Dodge that has a part number for every part. Would love to find a "parts" manual for my 03 Ford.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's common for any class C to have a chassis a year older than it's finished model year.