cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2001 Dodge Pleasure Way Lexor TD

traveler317
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a Dodge Pleasure Way Lexor TD this week and hoping for input from you experts. High odometer reading 235,000 but engine and transmission rebuilt 20K ago. Regularly serviced. Onan generator has 294 hours on it. Tires approx. 2 years old. I'm new to class B world, a retired woman who will be traveling on my own... Any advice appreciated!
10 REPLIES 10

traveler317
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone....the 2001 Pleasure Way didn't work out. Disappointed! Back to square one trying to find an affordable used Class B.....

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1989 and still runs and rides great.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

traveler317
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks every one for your input and advice!

dreed
Explorer
Explorer
I would think if he bothered to rework the engine and transmission 2 years ago he probably kept the other things up too. I would have a good inspection done of the more expensive items especially and of course the price of the unit would be the determining factor.
Dave 04 Excel TD

qhor
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2000 Leisure Travel Van on the Dodge chassis with about 175000kms.
If it is mechanically sound (engine, tranny, and all chassis gear) check the RV components carefully. Onan repairs, fridge repairs, plumbing, water, and even dump valve repairs, can be expensive going by today's hourly rates.
If it has been looked after, and the price is right, it could turn out to be as enjoyable as our "old" van has been.

traveler317
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to offer that but, unfortunately, my mechanic isn't available with his busy schedule. I did review some youtube how-to videos so I can hopefully check on some impt. stuff myself....

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
traveler317 wrote:
... Will be sending pictures to my mechanic and taking it for a drive. I admit the high miles scares me a bit....

If you really are concerned, why not buy a few hours of your mechanic's time and take him/her with you. Photos are one thing, eyeballs quite another.

It just might save you much more than it costs.

Cheers.

traveler317
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I'm taking a look at this rig tomorrow. Have a long list of things to check, thanks to lists I found on similar posts. I believe the service records are available- at least from the past 8-9 years. Will be sending pictures to my mechanic and taking it for a drive. I admit the high miles scares me a bit....

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dodge's can last forever if properly maintained (just like other vehicles). Things to have checked should be universal joints, ball joints, rear axle (leaks and noise), and transmission.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
With that many miles a new engine doesn't mean much. Everything else has 235 K Miles. I'd keep looking