Explorer
Lest we not forget the brave souls who landed on the beaches on
this day in 1944. They were truly the "Greatest Generation"
12 REPLIES 12

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
So take a look at these photos from the 2014 Atlantic Monthly !!!

D-Day Then and Now

After it loads click on each image and toggle between THEN and NOW

carp65 wrote:

I found that site to be fascinating with how the pictures were so different but still the same.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every "D-Day", we have a family habit of watching the movie "The Longest Day". While the movie was made in 1962, in black & white and not as graphic as the movies of today, there is no mistaking the conditions those brave men had to endure. We do the same with other famous war movies on their anniversary dates such as "Midway" and "Tora, Tora, Tora".

We make sure our children watch it too (they actually look forward to it) as we believe it is so important for the youth of today to understand what the generations before them had to do to ensure our freedoms. We home-school them partly because we reject the revisionist history taught in many of the public schools today. CNN did a story on the 70th Anniversary of D-Day called "Exploding the Myths of the Normandy Landings" which tended to minimize the United States' role in the attack. It was a combined effort, for sure, but it would not have been possible without the brave men and military hardware supplied by the U.S.

We need to keep the memories and stories of courageous battles such as this alive and accurate lest we let history repeat itself.

God Bless all Veterans and those serving in the Armed Forces now.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I can't imagine the courage it took to jump out of those boats directly into machine gun fire and watch your buddies drop all around.

My own dad was at Pearl Harbor during the attack. He had two buddy's killed next to him.

Last month I was at the Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. It was my third visit over the years and it's all I can do to hold it together when I'm there.

A huge thank you to ALL who served.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
carp65 wrote:

Wish there was a LIKE button.

They had no "safe"place, All they had was love for their country. We are all in their debt. That is why I stand for the anthem. To honor the ones who bravely ran on to the beach.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I am not trying to mock this important anniversary because those Higgins Boats were really a neat Class A. But shouldn't this be in ATC?

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen very little mention of it in the news. Sad really, it was the beginning of the end for one of the most brutal regimes in history. I shudder to think of today's world had the fascists over run Europe.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
carp65 wrote:

our local paper did, forget that is, or purposely neglected to mention it. heros, all.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
So take a look at these photos from the 2014 Atlantic Monthly !!!

D-Day Then and Now

After it loads click on each image and toggle between THEN and NOW

carp65 wrote:
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad went the other way....Philippines and then Japan.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My dad graduated high school in 1944. He was 17 years old. His birthday is in August. In September 1944 he was drafted. He ended up in Germany.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
God Bless the โ€œGreatest Generation!โ€
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Storming the beaches - what a terrible way to have to win a war. Our enemies didn't have to do that. Hats off to our guys.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE