cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strong arm install

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
So I bought a set to stabilize my Coleman, it likes to wiggle on the scissors. I took a look under there and the cross member to attach to is about 6" in front of the rear jacks. Is this going to be a problem with binding? I can't move them forward as there is a bumpstop at that location welded to the frame. I haven't opened the box yet to see what is in it, I just pulled the trailer out of the barn on Sunday and haven't had a chance to wash it yet, but not this weekend, but next I plan to spend on cleaning and installing the arms and a hitch mount I found to store the BO so it doesn't take up room in the underpass.
5 REPLIES 5

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acdii wrote:
Like I said, I haven't opened the box yet, but looks like the ends are swivel ball links? In that case shouldn't have an issue with binding. The only power my jacks get are from an impact. Does a really quick job of lowering and raising them.

Where did you get the pads from, that sounds like a good idea, especially on gravel sites.

I went to a local plastics shop and went through their bin of small offcuts. Lo & behold, they had a piece of exactly the size, thickness & color I wanted and got it for a good price. Not very often I get lucky like that. It was easy cutting it into 4 pieces on my table saw. I countersunk the holes on the bottom so the bolts I used (stainless steel) wouldn't stick out and wear on gravel surfaces.

The pads have been a great mod. Just put the jacks down and boom, you're done.

Not sure what 3/4" HDPE normally costs in a shop or what they charge to cut it.

If the Strongarms are like the BAL Lockarms, the ends are ordinary spherical rod ends. They do have a limit to how much of an angle they can be at but doubt it'd be a problem for these struts.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, I haven't opened the box yet, but looks like the ends are swivel ball links? In that case shouldn't have an issue with binding. The only power my jacks get are from an impact. Does a really quick job of lowering and raising them.

Where did you get the pads from, that sounds like a good idea, especially on gravel sites.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have electric stab. jacks you need to buy the Lippert "adapter kit" like in this photo. It drops the mounting points of the Strongarms so they don't crash into the jacks when retracted.

I installed the equivalent, BAL lockarms. I couldn't find a spot to mount the upper end so mounted them to the underside of the bumper. Works better anyway because you get some side-side reduction and some fore-aft as well. While in there, I also mounted some 8"x8"x3/4" HDPE to the jack pads - no need for lego blocks or pieces of wood.

BAL said nothing about needing the Lippert adapter kit. Maybe the others out there don't either? Took some head-scratching and internet searching to figure out I needed them.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
JT Strongarms and Blue OX hitch.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/JT-s-Strong-Arm-Stabilizer-p/15-0364.htm

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
You just bought a set of what? Youโ€™re storing BO? Take a shower(just kidding).
I donโ€™t understand your post.