cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What variety of mint is best for our..........

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
.....MOJITO ? I have some peppermint growing in our back yard and it seems OK, but what about spearmint, apple mint, orange flavored, pineapple flavored or......?

TIA
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
8 REPLIES 8

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Big mistake to buy the Swiss mint....it is awful tasting.
Noel

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
My retirement job was working seasonal at a large green house. A local bar & grill bought all the mint we had. They were going to grow it themselves and save a lot of money. Iโ€™m not much help to you because I canโ€™t remember what kind we sold them.

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
OK....bought and planted three in big pots: m. Villosa (Mojito).....m. Piperata (Swiss) and m. Spicata (Spearmint Chewing Gum).

I have made a reservation at local AA for early October.....
Noel

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every mojito I've ever heard of uses spearmint.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
After about 6 you would not know or cars about the difference ๐Ÿ™‚
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We grow spearmint and I planted it specifically for Mojitos! It is drought resistant. In fact I never water it and it grows like crazy. The earwigs and slugs like it so I sprinkle diatomaceous earth at the base to keep these pests away otherwise they will eat holes all over the leaves and it ruins the appearance for the Mojito! In late summer, the mint blooms and attracts pollinators. It's just lovely and smells good too. Ours must grow about 4 foot high. Every winter we cut it down to the ground and it regrows each spring. It is invasive so you do have to keep a check on it. I'll find it growing clear across the yard! More than likely from birds or insects spreading the seeds. When we aren't using it for Mojitos, I'll take a bunch of fresh leaves and steep them straight into hot water in a pitcher. Let it sit for an hour, drain the leaves out and chill it. It's the best tea! You sleep wonderfully after drinking it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Try them all until you find the one you like best. There is no right or wrong answer.
We have chocolate mint growing in our yard, something like that may be different?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
OK...not being much of a drinker I had to look it up...so now that I know, I know I can't help you.

Mojito is a traditional Cuban highball. Traditionally, a mojito is a cocktail that consists of five ingredients: white rum, sugar, lime juice, soda water, and mint.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro