Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a trip across country

Campingdad18
Explorer
Explorer
I am probably being too ambitious based on my set up but
I have been itching to take myself and my family out west for a family camping
Trip. Here are my two major concerns and maybe you fine folks can help me make
the final call on whether or not to make it a reality.

One: I have a family of 5. Kids are 12,10, and 7 and my tow vehicle is a VERY reliable, easy to work on, low mileage (115k), 2002 Cummins 6 speed (yes that means three kids in a quad cab) truck. We tow 1500 Miles/year together in va,nc,wv,and tenn for the last 4 years. I love the truck but itโ€™s not ideal for camping. Loud in the campground, loud on the road, steers like a wagon, and tight for 5 of us but Iโ€™m afraid to get rid of it for the reliability factor.
I would think a mega cab cummins or a duramax (06-07) would be a better choice for such a long trip. Or a chase vehicle but that splits us up on the drive which we donโ€™t like.

Two:
I have a 2002 sprinter 5th wheel with two slide lead but no bunks. We have to make two kids share a jacknife (uncomfortable) couch and itโ€™s got age but it has been
Solid and reliable both on the road in the campground for 4 seasons now.
Thinking that a 5er with bunks would be a better option for overnite stays during travel
Out and back.

Mainly these two things are hampering my commitment to doing a 30 hour drive to yellowstone or somewhere similar.
What are some of your opinions and remember we are a homeschool family living basically on one salary. Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Just now getting back to you all on my truck dilemma and I have good news.
I found a nice 2007.5 megacab cummins and we just made our first 9 hour trip to owensboro, KY and had a ball. This was a good intermediate trip before we decided to give it a go all the way out west! I'll try to post up a few pics from the journey. It was fantastic and such a great drive with the new truck. I miss the reliability of my 02 6 speed but the reality is, a family of 5 can't fit well. We are very comfortable and very happy with the fully loaded w dvd megacab and I got some cool bonus mods on the buy so I'm very pleased! Thanks all for the feedback now here's some cool pics for you all to see!

2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
cool idea! I might be able to design one myself that will stack right up on top of the existing couch! That's a great idea!
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
bunk bed cots

Another poster commented about removing the sofa. You could consider that and use these for the kiddos. I think you could probably stack them three high.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Just remember when making your decision that if you don't make the trip this year, you'll just be another year older next and sorry you didn't do it this year.

I worked with guys that couldn't seem to finish a report, they were never happy with how it was written and did endless rewrites. I was taught that after one or two rewrites, PUBLISH. Moral; just make the decision.

I agree whole-heartedly with your moral here. We ran into some friends camping this past weekend and they showed us all the pictures from their trip out west and got us all excited! I think we are going to make this happen!

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
Having made several long trips, and another one planned for this year, we always plan on trying to be shut down by 5 pm every night when were driving. Since I have a pop-up, we will stay in a hotel/motel on the drive to avoid having to spend the time opening it up for just a quick overnight stay.

Since you don't have to worry about that, I'd look for campsites that have things for the kids, swimming...etc that will let them burn off their pent up energy from the day and it has at least worked well for us so far.

You might want to pick a few places along the way that are worth staying at for a couple of days to give everybody a chance to mentally refresh for the rest of the trip.

Look at the Black Hills in SD as a possible end destination spot. We were there a couple of years ago and had a really great time. You can either do a lot or a little and still have fun.

Awesome advice! thanks and you aren't the first that has recommended the black hills. great idea on the pool thing and shutting down at 5pm every day.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember when making your decision that if you don't make the trip this year, you'll just be another year older next and sorry you didn't do it this year.

I worked with guys that couldn't seem to finish a report, they were never happy with how it was written and did endless rewrites. I was taught that after one or two rewrites, PUBLISH. Moral; just make the decision.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Having made several long trips, and another one planned for this year, we always plan on trying to be shut down by 5 pm every night when were driving. Since I have a pop-up, we will stay in a hotel/motel on the drive to avoid having to spend the time opening it up for just a quick overnight stay.

Since you don't have to worry about that, I'd look for campsites that have things for the kids, swimming...etc that will let them burn off their pent up energy from the day and it has at least worked well for us so far.

You might want to pick a few places along the way that are worth staying at for a couple of days to give everybody a chance to mentally refresh for the rest of the trip.

Look at the Black Hills in SD as a possible end destination spot. We were there a couple of years ago and had a really great time. You can either do a lot or a little and still have fun.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Campingdad18
Explorer
Explorer
Tatest, best advice yet!
I think itโ€™s great timing too and everything we use
Right now has proven itself as far as reliability and thatโ€™s very
Important for long trips. Weโ€™ll sit down as a family and decide
How far we are willing to go and make it happen next year!
Thanks so much!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is doable, if the family is inclined to see it as an adventure rather than a hardship. In 1961 we did it with four adults (two in their 70s, we were helping my grandparents settle a land transaction) and six kids ranging age 3 to 15, nine passenger station wagon hauling a 20-foot travel trailer (16-foot box with a bed over the hitch), which could sleep all of us, six two to a bed, the youngest four on a 5x7 foot gaucho. It would seat only four, so we were much dependent on campsite and roadside park accommodations, and sometimes two or three of us would opt to sleep in the back of the station wagon. Detroit, U.P., across northern tier to Montana (destination west of Missoula). Side trip to Glacier, Yellowstone on the way home through Wyoming, S Dakota, Iowa, Chicago. Two weeks.

I would not do a 30 hour drive to Yellowstone. No more than 10 hours a day moving, interesting stops along the way to keep the kids from feeling imprisoned, looking for interesting places to overnight. You know your own kids, but maybe you've not tested them to this degree.

Truck sounds good, just broken in. Check hoses and belts, tires and shocks. You don't gain that much more space with a Megacab or anyone else's crew cab.

A new fiver has potential to introduce new problems. I would want a season on camping before taking it on a long road trip. If the old one is getting crowded for sleeping, there is probably room to make up another bunk on the floor.

Now is probably a good time for the trip, ages are right for seeing it as an adventure. A couple more years until the oldest starts seeing it as hardship (until old enough to share in the driving, which makes it fun again).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
We've done similar trips over the last 25 years with our kids, most times with 5 or more kids. I'd get an air mattress similar to this or narrower. https://tinyurl.com/ybtnmosa On our trips we usually start the first day with an 11 to 12 hour day and spend the night at WalMart or someplace similar then 5-6 hours the next day and 5-7 hrs days after that. Out of camp by 8 to 9 am and then camping again at 2-3 in the afternoon. Many places on the way out and back you may want to spend a couple nights or more as well.This gives the kids plenty of time unwind. I'd plan on 4-5 nights at Yellowstone if you want to see all of it. We stayed 4 nights 2 years ago and could have used more. We hit Independence Rock, Castle Rock and Jackson Hole on the way out and Devil's Tower, MT Rushmore etc, Badlands on the way back. There are many places to hit as well. Just don't try to do too much. Headphones, videos and travel games worked well for us over the years. Headed to Colorado and Utah this summer with 4 of our kids. They're 10, 17, 19 and 21 and still want to go with us. All have been doing this since they were newborns. I do all the driving and it's fine.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
When the adult kids camp with us we remove our dining table and chairs for the trip. We put an air mattress on the floor. We set it on our bed during the day. Sometimes we use the tent. This trip we are going to try using the tent like a screen house. Take the trip. Great memories! Find interesting places for pit stops along the way.
Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing the jack knife sofa with something more comfortable might be a reasonable compromise on the sleeping situation. Perhaps a sofa / air bed sleeper like featured here https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-sofa-bed/

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. I realized I created another profile while we were camping b/c my old email wasn't working and I couldn't log in.

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
we have discussed this some and me and the 7yo DD are the only ones with concerns about listening to the noise of my truck for 3-4 straight days. lol.
I think we'll have a dining table talk real soon and discuss the pro's and con's and that would help us make the call on it.