cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Own a tt now. Thinking about 5th wheel toy hauler. Opinions?

georgialawn88
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 kids. Family of 6. Right now I have a puma tt. We love it. But looking at these toy haulers make me drool. I see a carbon 2018 357 for 60k online that would fit well. A rookie looker it seems like a good price for a big camper. What do you guys think of your toy hauler? Is 60k about right for a good toy hauler? Any advice on anything related all ears open. Thanks guys
4 REPLIES 4

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think Keystone is making the Carbon anymore so any models out there will be the last of them, that doesn't mean they are bad but they are on the lower end of the Keystone line also. If cost is a factor maybe look at the Impact line which is the next step up. Most floorplans cross between the different lines.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
First question, What are you pulling it with?

Second question, What is your length limit for where you like to go?

Third question, what are you hauling?

If no retrictions to these, get the biggest one you're comfortable with. you'll need the room as those 4 kids grow up.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at them all, and ended up getting a Momentum 349M. Like JAC said, make sure you have enough truck. My 349M is 39', 14k unloaded, 16.5k GVW, and 3k pin. It is right at the max weights for my truck loaded. Unloaded, it puts me slightly over the trucks' 11.5k GVW since there's no weight in the garage. IMO, I wouldn't go any bigger or heavier without going with a DRW.

To find enough space for your family, you'd want something bigger than mine. We can sleep 4 with the bed in the garage. There are some with bunks, but we didn't look at them.

Carefully plan what you will, or possibly, haul in the garage before buying so you can get a garage with enough space. We have 13' kayaks, so we went with the 349M (13' garage) over the 351M (11' garage).

Also look at how much you will carry in total. One drawback and limitation of tandem axle 5er toy haulers is the GVW and axle ratings. Depending on options, you will likely only get 2k-2.5k of cargo capacity. This is why many go with the triple axle rigs.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I think for a Carbon, that's a bit high. Our neighbor bought a Fuzion 341 (I think that's the number) which is basically that same floor plan (kitchen is flipped so the peninsula is on the bathroom side,but overall the same), but way nicer, for like 64k. Carbon is Keystone's lowest trim level, followed by Impact, then Fuzion. We paid just over 60 for our Impact but we were also dealing with a trade so the numbers were messed with a bit.

Neighbor likes theirs, they have 3 kids, tween and teenage girls so they like the extra half bath. We like ours, because it's got a big garage that can hold a 4 seat RZR if we ever want to get one. Neighbor's Fuzion can't, garage is too small. It all depends what you want to do with it. What are you going to haul in the toyhauler part?

Also, the last thing to keep in mind is for a hauler this size, you really need a 1 ton dually to pull it.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor