cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcycles or scooters and Toads

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
For reasons of M'ladies health we are changing our plans from a TT to a motorhome. I know we will need a toad, and we already have a little chevy cobalt which can be flat towed. But I was also hoping to keep my little scooter which weighs about 250 lbs.
My question is on towing equipment and usage .
Since a class III or IV hitch has effectively 2 weight capacities tow weight for what it can pull or stop, as well as tongue weight for what it can vertically carry.
Is there any reason why you could not combine the receiver to use both functions?
From a motorhome install a motorcycle carrier like one of these,,,,
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Ultra-Fab-Products/UF48-979033.html
or
https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

On either replace the center support with a hitch extender like this
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-Hitch-Extender-69882.html

And then attach the toad to the receiver off the MC carrier.
Since a 4 flat toad has no tongue weight It seems this should work.
Anyone seen it done?
18 REPLIES 18

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mmorgan wrote:
I am thinking of a very similar set up to haul a small motorcycle.......has anyone ever had an issue with the tremendous amount of heat being blown backwards from the rear radiator coach as to cause damage to the motorcycle?

mmorgan,
You know, I was kind-a concerned about that when I originally setup our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT with a Hydralift. I loaded our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on the back and, cruised around a few blocks with the bike on there for a test run. When I got back home, I parked the coach and sort of ran to the back to feel all the plastic body panels on the Wing, to see if there was true concern.

Nope, none at all. Yes, there is a bunch of heat that is emitted from that radiator area for sure. But, it's not enough to scorch or even think about doing any damage to any portion of that bike. We ran around the country like that for over 8,000 miles and, even in some blistering heat in the Baker grade heading to Vegas from San Diego. I pulled off at the Halloran summit off ramp (normally used for overheating vehicles) and, again, buzzed back to check the condition of the bike just after ascending that grade.

Yep, that bike was hot but, not hot enough for any damage. We'd been on many grades, with plenty of heat and, it all worked out great. We see many, many rear radiator coaches with the same setup and, all of them still carrying their bikes so, must not be anything to worry about.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Is there any reason why you could not combine the receiver to use both functions?

Anyone seen it done?

When you extend a hitch you increase the leverage on said hitch. Motorhomes have notoriously low capacity hitches to start with given the overall size of the vehicle in the first place.

Bad things can happen.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful with the lightweight dual receivers. The weight limits listed are usually the heavier bottom half. Also any hitch accessory such as dual receiver can become the weak link or lowest weight limiting item so plan your acquisition carefully.

The next problem you have to consider is with a carrier in the top and a tow bar in the bottom you must have sufficient room for the tow bar to pivot up without contacting the carrier. A situation where this could occur is coming off a road into a parking lot or such that has an incline. Front of the coach goes up the rear drops the tow bar will pivot upwards away from the horizontal line of the coach chassis. If it contacts the scooter carrier the scooter will become one with the rear cap of the coach.

Maybe a better set up would be something on the Cobalt that can carry the scooter?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a van or small pickup that you could tow that would hold a small motorcycle inside? Then you'd have both.

Gottahaveit
Please Please do NOT buy a hitch extender from Harbor Freight or any other cheap one. We did that to put our bikes on the hitch and extend to the Jeep. TRUST me it will eventually break loose and.....well you will look in your rear mirror and see your tow vehicle passing you. Thanks goodness hubby is a truck driver and stayed calm and slowed down nice and slow. Bikes were on hood of Jeep but all else was ok.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Sort of on topic. Have you folks seen the new Honda MiniMoto line? They look like the old 50cc's but they are 125's also a bit pricey!
Check it OUT.

Norm
F1BNorm

mmorgan
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of a very similar set up to haul a small motorcycle.......has anyone ever had an issue with the tremendous amount of heat being blown backwards from the rear radiator coach as to cause damage to the motorcycle?

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Dick, we were looking trailer initially, m'lady has severe edema her legs stay swollen to the extreme, the reason for the motorhome is to allow travel/parking/sleep without having to climb in and out of the vehicle too often. And I have read enough here to not want a Thor product, so the Outlaw wasn't considered.
thx
You might consider the Newmar Canyon Star 3921 or 3923 toy hauler class A.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
my scooter is a little 125cc, will do 55-60 with me aboard, weighs about 225-240.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
We used to haul motor scooter. They were only 49cc and limit of about 40 mph which was unsafe for hyway travel. How heavy is the Motorcycle you mentioned?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
hotjag, do you have a picture? I am trying to visualize and having a hard time.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have a picture of this set-up but I will try to describe it. I slide my aluminum motorcycle rack(Harbor Freight) into the top tube and load my scooter. I then put a stinger with a 2" ball into the lower tube and attach the toad tow bar to the 2" ball. There is no clearance problem between the toad and scooter as the tow bar is about 3' long.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag, do you have a picture? I am trying to visualize and having a hard time.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Great, one problem solved, I guessed someone was doing it this way already.
Thx all.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
This will work:

Dual 2" Hitch Bicycle Receiver Adapter Extender Extension 4000lb

---------------------------------------------------------------
This is exactly what I use to haul our 280 lb. scooter and pull our small SUV(when we aren't pulling the trailer in our signature).
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata