cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway on a gasser

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK, my first class A. Moved from a fifth wheel, towed by a dually. Wife does not like the sway/rocking we are getting. I've been on line checking options and have four solutions. Which would you do first? or open to your ideas.

Safe-T-Plus
Spring kit(?)
Koni - shocks
Helwig Rear Sway Bar
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
19 REPLIES 19

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
>>>>Biggest problem I've seen with coaches that have this problem, is with how much tail there is behind the rear wheels for wagging the dog.
If much, then it's never really going to go away, but can be helped with the various addon's offered, including, but not limited to, a large rear sway bar. After that, the best thing you can do, is to slow down. One shouldn't be in a hurry when driving a Motel, anyway. If you're in a hurry, never stop in a restaurant for meals, unless it's after you're parked for the night. Also for fixing dinner within. Drive late and stay in a Walmart, for some sleep and so that there's no real setup to contend with.
I said, if you're really in a hurry and since you don't really gain much time, driving over 55mph or so. Just burn a lot more fuel, is all. <<<

Agreed. I have 3 "rules" so far (I'm sure there will be more since I'm a noobie here)

1. Never be in a hurry
2. If you think you are in a hurry refer back to rule #1
3. The 3:30 rule - no more than 330 miles a day, and get to where you're going by 3:30pm.

Al

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
OK, my first class A. Moved from a fifth wheel, towed by a dually. Wife does not like the sway/rocking we are getting. I've been on line checking options and have four solutions. Which would you do first? or open to your ideas.

Safe-T-Plus
Spring kit(?)
Koni - shocks
Helwig Rear Sway Bar

Biggest problem I've seen with coaches that have this problem, is with how much tail there is behind the rear wheels for wagging the dog.
If much, then it's never really going to go away, but can be helped with the various addon's offered, including, but not limited to, a large rear sway bar. After that, the best thing you can do, is to slow down. One shouldn't be in a hurry when driving a Motel, anyway. If you're in a hurry, never stop in a restaurant for meals, unless it's after you're parked for the night. Also for fixing dinner within. Drive late and stay in a Walmart, for some sleep and so that there's no real setup to contend with.
I said, if you're really in a hurry and since you don't really gain much time, driving over 55mph or so. Just burn a lot more fuel, is all.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the cheap handling fix both front and rear on our F53 chassis and after putting new tires on, had an alighment and Saf-T-Plus steering stabalizer added. We're good.

daveshoby
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Hold her wide and let her eat. You will get use to it if tire pressures are right

X2! Been driving class Aโ€™s since 1990. Itโ€™s not a Corvette, relax and enjoy the comforts.

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Koni shocks and SumoSprings to start.
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
Semi push and pull is from the box being pushed and pulled over the rear axle. Rear track bar keeps the body and axle aligned, helps to minimize that. Sway is not that, sway is the box tilting, sway bars fix that.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Companies that make steering dampers claim the devices help maintain control in case of a front tire blow out. Is this claim demonstrable? Have experiments shown these devices work as claimed or are the claims based on supposition?

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 dog nights wrote:

Safe-T-Plus
Spring kit(?)
Koni - shocks
Helwig Rear Sway Bar

Only one item on the list will directly affect sway and just by chance it has the word sway in its name. CHP will do the same at a much lower cost.

Safe-T-Plus - helps with lane holding, straight line driving performance and steering during a front tire failure.

Spring Kit - helps restore ride height loss due to worn primary suspension springs. Will also potentially stiffen the ride.

Koni Shocks - primary effect is suspension bounce and softening the initial shock of suspension reaction to poor roads.

Helwig Rear Sway Bar - Either a direct replacement or additional sway bar that adds additional counter force to body roll or sway.

Other options that may help besides the CHF include supplemental airbags front and rear, Sumosprings also front and rear. You can help to minimize body movement but you won't totally eliminate it. These beasts are just a bit to heavy above the frame rails.

If you really want to go crazy there are complete suspension replacements available for the Ford chassis. One is a hybrid airbag/smaller leaf spring for both front and rear axles and the other is a liquid spring set up for the rear axle.

Keep an eye on the rear sway bar bushings and bracket hardware. The bushings will degrade in about another two or three more years to the point that they actually dissolve. Regarding the hardware they have been owners reports of the fasteners loosening up and clamps actually coming off while going down the road. No real pattern so can say if the problem is a particular year of chassis model. Just something to check as part of normal routine.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
An update from last weekends trip - handling was much improved, but still a bit loose. My wife mentioned how much I was moving the steering wheel to stay straight. So a new Bilstein Steering Dampener is on order to replace the one that the shop removed, as it was binding and causing the RV to pull to the right. (alignment was checked before we left and was spot-on) I had pumped the airbags up to 70psi, and the body roll went down a lot. It was much easier to drive. BTW - had the RV weighed and was 6150 lbs front, 12,020 lbs rear.

I also ordered a Hellwig rear swaybar. So thanks to everyone for their help and comments. Today, if I needed to drive it on a long trip I now could, but I am hopeful the addition of the steering dampener and sway bar will make it easier.

Al

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Front alignment, CHF, Saftey steer and Helwig rear sway bars.
I saw a great improvement by doing this.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
I did the cheap fix on my 2014 F53 chassis and then added trac bar to the rear and steering stabilizer to front. Seems good but as previously mentioned it wont prevent everything
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

EdInArk
Explorer
Explorer
Get the front end alignment checked as well. Ours was towed out and felt twitchy.

But the swaying and rocking mentioned in the first post can be greatly alleviated for free with the Cheap Handling Fix if you've got the tools and a couple of hours to do it. I did the front and rear in my driveway.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the middle of the same thing, as I just bought my first Class A gasser a few weeks back. Correct tire pressure and air bag pressure helped. It had been pulling to the right and the shop found the steering stabilizer was binding. They removed that (it was aftermarket) and it now tracks straight. So I'm ordering a new stabilizer this week to tighten up the steering. Next will be a Helwig rear sway bar. My shocks are new Bilsteins, so I'm good there.

Just a comment - I'm coming to the conclusion based on info from this website, my shop, and the mechanical engineer that works for me (he does accident reconstruction and truck files) that most gas class A's have a high center of gravity and a long overhang after the rear axle, and as such will never handle like a diesel pusher or even a box truck. We can only minimize it and make it livable. I have noticed that on the highway the closer in speed I'm going to the trucks, the less "push" I get from them.

Al

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Correct tire pressure per your weights and tire manufacture weight and pressure charts plus 5#. If you can't weigh right now set to the minimum PSI per the manufactures sticker that should be locatd behind the drivers seat. Then CHF. Both are free and simple to DIY.

Then add an auxiliary rear sway bar. I used Hellwig from sdtrucksprings.com You can DIY depending on your comfort level and ability. Read the online instructions and check for videos. You need about 300# torque on the spring u-bolts.

In my case I changed the front sway bar to a Hellwig after the CHF as I just wasn't happy with it. Adding Sumo Springs in the next few weeks. I did a S-T-P blue awhile ago and not real impressed.

Unless you are getting a lot of tail wag and pushing around when being passed a track bar is likely not going to do anything.

Mine is a 2016 F53, 22000# chassis.