cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

West of Chicago/Wicker Park area

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
So in a couple of months, I will be road-tripping with my daughter, taking her to Chicago to perform a "City Year" community-service year. This program pairs college graduates with inner-city schools to give the teachers a hand.

Anyway, I'm gonna be dragging a 25' Toyhauler filled with her furniture. I'd like to "stage", or find an easily accessible park or campground not too far out of the city that I can drop the camper off, then take the furniture into town with the truck. I want to avoid pulling a trailer through that rush-hour traffic, or any traffic for that matter.

Anyway, I'm hoping for some suggestions hopefully near Kennedy or Eisenhower expressways, like maybe Schaumburg? I have family in Crystal Lake and Woodstock, but that's just too far to commute.

Anybody have any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
This is a newer campground. It will be nice once the trees grow.
Real close and easy access to the Eisenhower (I88). From the campground take US30 east. Pick up IL56 and you are on I88 east bound. The down side is $35/per night for water & electric.
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/illinois/big-rock
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The campground in Elgin is very nice. The next closest would be Sycamore RV resort in Sycamore IL. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you think) that is probably the closest for you.
Crystal Lake is about 30minutes from the Elgin forest preserve campground.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
seagrace wrote:

then take the furniture into town with the truck.

Be careful where you drive your truck in Chicago. A lot of the secondary, and some primary streets, prohibit trucks of any kind. It doesn't matter that you only plan on dropping off and leaving. They enforce that quite vigorously.
Camped in every state

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gizmos Mom - I am actually looking at that option, but I've also got family in Crystal Lake that have room for me. It's a longer drive in to the big city, but heck, after four years of college in a different state, I'm getting used to the long commutes 🙂

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Try looking here at Forest Preserves of Cook County.

There are a couple that have hook-ups. One of them is near Palatine which is somewhat close to Schaumburg.

Hope this helps you.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge