cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temperature Monitor

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a two month trip to the southwest with our two rescued greyhounds. We leave out the first of September. I am in a panic over losing power in our motor home. We bought a surge protector that is pretty good at resetting the power, but I don't trust that it will work in every instance.

I started looking for products to send us an alert if the temperature starts going up in the motor home. So far the only product that looks like it will work best is the Temp Stick.

Anyone have experience with it or can recommend other products? I want something that does not rely on electricity.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.
23 REPLIES 23

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Verizon jetpack with an external antenna that gets great reception, even in many places where my Verizon phone is marginal or non-functional. And I use a temperature monitor from RV Whisper that lets me see the RV temperature over the internet and it also sends me and my DW email and text messages when it gets too hot.

charming
Explorer
Explorer
The answer is, I gave up and sent all of your suggestions to my SIL, the computer geek extraordinaire. He is much more patient about reviewing the available info and translating it into English for me.

I did make one decision, I will be getting the Verizon Jet Pack for our travels.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
timmac wrote:
charming wrote:
We are planning a two month trip to the southwest with our two rescued greyhounds. We leave out the first of September. I am in a panic over losing power in our motor home. We bought a surge protector that is pretty good at resetting the power, but I don't trust that it will work in every instance.

I started looking for products to send us an alert if the temperature starts going up in the motor home. So far the only product that looks like it will work best is the Temp Stick.

Anyone have experience with it or can recommend other products? I want something that does not rely on electricity.

This product works great, I have it installed and no more worries about my pet when the power goes out.

https://rvautomations.com/automatic-generator-start-system/

What happens if power is working, but your air conditioning stopped working. I guess if you had 2 separate units in an RV it would work.

Yes I have 2 a/c units so the lost of 2 at the same time would be very very rare, also the auto start system in the link is easy to wire up, no need for difficult setup for a/c, temps, etc, just a easy start for gen when power goes out, its also cheap to buy..

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
To all those with negative responses.

I have Automatic Generator start. For either power loss or pre determined temperature. The AcuRite has a battery backup. If the Acurite site has not had any communication from my Acurite unit for an hour it will send me a notice of the communication loss. It will also inform me when communications are restored. Once communications is restored I will have access to all data during that period of loss.

Like I said earlier I've had Acurite for 6 years without issues and this unit for almost 3 months without ANY issues.

My router has a builtin cell modem equipped with a dual SIM setup. I have both Verizon and AT&T for cell data. If one carrier fails the other will automatically take over. For other instances I also have WiFi over Wan that will allow campground WiFi through my router. I think I've got most bases covered.

I understand what works for you, works for you. I was answering the OP question about temperature monitoring. I was just stating what I have and how I like it. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion here.

AcuRite works for me and that's all I care about.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
charming wrote:

This product works great, I have it installed and no more worries about my pet when the power goes out.

What happens if power is working, but your air conditioning stopped working. I guess if you had 2 separate units in an RV it would work.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
charming wrote:

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
charming wrote:
Happytraveler wrote:
67Cutlass wrote:
I've been using AcuRite products for years with very good luck.

We have a PepWave router with built in cellular data card and use the
AcuRite 09155M Access Compatible with Amazon Alexa . This allows us remote access to monitor temps in our motorhome. The AcuRite 09155 can be programmed for temperature alerts that are sent via email.

Will you get an alert incase you lose wifi. In May we camp in Palm Desert and the Colorado River an temperatures can range between the high 80's to 115.
One time we were in Palm Springs and a few RV's lost power. So sad one couple lost their dog, cat and bird during the power outage.

That is our fear. We stayed at Lake Blackshear our first time camping out of state and did not realize they generate their on power. We came back after several hours and the power was off, luckily it wasn't overly hot, but it really scared us. We now have a surge protector but I'm not convinced it will automatically restart the power.

I think I'll keep my MarCell even if I have to pay $100.00 a year for the subscription. It works as long as I'm in full hookups or have the generator on. I't also has a backup battery incase the power goes out it will at least notify me if the temperature is rising in the RV. Its pretty much 100% guaranteed as long as I have reception on my iPhone.

https://www.sensoredlife.com/#/promotions?pid=RV

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
67Cutlass wrote:

AcuRite 09155M Access Compatible with Amazon Alexa . This allows us remote access to monitor temps in our motorhome. The AcuRite 09155 can be programmed for temperature alerts that are sent via email.

Will you get an alert incase you lose wifi. In May we camp in Palm Desert and the Colorado River an temperatures can range between the high 80's to 115.
One time we were in Palm Springs and a few RV's lost power. So sad one couple lost their dog, cat and bird during the power outage.

That is our fear. We stayed at Lake Blackshear our first time camping out of state and did not realize they generate their on power. We came back after several hours and the power was off, luckily it wasn't overly hot, but it really scared us. We now have a surge protector but I'm not convinced it will automatically restart the power.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
67Cutlass wrote:

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
67Cutlass wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
67Cutlass wrote:

I have an AcuRite Access at my winter home. Two weeks after I went North for the summer my AcuRite went off line and has not come back in a month.

The AcuRite requires a wifi. I know my wifi is OK as I have a couple Ring Doorbell products on the same wifi and they are working.

I've never experienced your problem. This is the latest from AcuRite which replaced a unit I had for about 6 years.

So far I've been using this just over 3 months and the connection has been rock solid.

Amazon gives the Access 28 percent with one star. That tells me there is possibly a serious problem.

We can only hope AcuRite will address the problems and fix them.

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
67Cutlass wrote:

I have an AcuRite Access at my winter home. Two weeks after I went North for the summer my AcuRite went off line and has not come back in a month.

The AcuRite requires a wifi. I know my wifi is OK as I have a couple Ring Doorbell products on the same wifi and they are working.

I've never experienced your problem. This is the latest from AcuRite which replaced a unit I had for about 6 years.

So far I've been using this just over 3 months and the connection has been rock solid.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
67Cutlass wrote:

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One

charming
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize there were so many options.

I have my homework cut out for me over the next two months.