cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equal-i-zer set up, how'd I do?

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
1,200 TW Equalizer just set up, would like feedback on how I did, as this was my first "from scratch" set up.

Unloaded RV: TW: 765 empty: 6,500 GVWR: 11,200
Truck 2018 F-250 Gas Payload: 2980

Beginning measurements:
F=40.75"
R=44.25"

Hitched, no WD bars:
F=41.25"
R=42.5"

With Bars:
F=41"
R=42.75"

I haven't gotten to tow yet, as I need to put a few more miles on the truck.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
12 REPLIES 12

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from the first trip out. Was pleased with everything, but was a bit surprised with the push I got at the tail of my camper when an 18 wheeler was over taking me. It was very minor of course, but still would get old on a 1,500 mile trip. I'm going to do one more washer, which will hopefully force the sway control on the hitch to function better.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
lbrjet wrote:
I would add another washer. My rear end drops 1 1/4 inches with an 1050 pound TW. You shouldn't be dropping 1 1/2 inches with a lighter TW.

Don't worry about the drop of the rear end. What you should be doing is restoring the weight lost off the front axle.

You should shoot for at least 50% restoration and I prefer 100% restoration. If you get that right, the rear end will take care of itself.
Barney

I agree with your statement but missed my point which is he is not getting enough weight distribution.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get the need weights thing. If you setup the WDH and return the front to it's optimum number then why weigh it?
Anyway to the OP it looks like you nailed it. Does it tow fine? If so then leave it.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Your owners manual says this:

When hooking-up a trailer using a
weight-distributing hitch, always use the
following procedure:
Park the loaded vehicle, without the
trailer, on a level surface.
2. Measure the height to the top of your
vehicle's front wheel opening on the
fender. This is H1.
Attach the loaded trailer to your vehicle
without the weight-distributing bars
connected.
4. Measure the height to the top of your
vehicle's front wheel opening on the
fender a second time. This is H2.
5. Install and adjust the tension in the
weight-distributing bars so that the
height of your vehicle's front wheel
opening on the fender is approximately
halfway between H1 and H2.
Check that the trailer is level or slightly
nose down toward your vehicle. If not,
adjust the ball height accordingly and
repeat Steps 2-6.

I believe that is what you have.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
lbrjet wrote:
I would add another washer. My rear end drops 1 1/4 inches with an 1050 pound TW. You shouldn't be dropping 1 1/2 inches with a lighter TW.

Don't worry about the drop of the rear end. What you should be doing is restoring the weight lost off the front axle.

You should shoot for at least 50% restoration and I prefer 100% restoration. If you get that right, the rear end will take care of itself.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good for a starting point . You should be good . You might need another washer added to the head if you are fully loaded and experience some issues.

test setting up and actually on the road load is a bit off anyway.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer set up my hitch in 2007 with our first camper, and I brought it home and immediately adjusted it.

This time I decided to do it myself. It helps that the camper is small enough and truck big enough I don't really need the WD.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
The YouTube vids from Equalizer are your friend. AND, newbies should go home and re-do whatever the dealer did. They do very quick and dirty set ups (at least mine did) and I had to make adjustments but appear to have gotten it just right. Oh, and never forget you can raise the trailer up while it is hooked up to relieve the pressure on the bars so you can get them off... And for those of you without heavy tools, go get a half inch breaker bar (cheap) or big half inch ratchet or torque wrench (expensive)and some of the right size sockets for the hitch and while you are at it your wheels. Of course you can tell your wife/significant other that you NEED the tools and thus have an excuse to buy good tools and she will likely not know exactly what you really NEED and so you can get, perhaps, what you WANT... Just sayin...

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would increase the tension on the bars and get more weight on the steer axle.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Ford recommends bringing the front back down by 50% of what it raised, you are there.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you need weights to really set up a hitch correctly. At least I do. The best setup is the have all 4 tires on your TV weigh the same. Now this will not happen, but it is best to get them as close as you can.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln