cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting leveling blocks

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
This is kinda neat looking idea. Anybody here use these for side to side leveling of their trailer?
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel
31 REPLIES 31

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything that the Hopkins leveling kit can do, our lego leveling blocks can do better. Lego blocks are lightweight, compact and easy to store in the pass-through and can also be used to level a picnic table or BBQ or to make an extra entry step on sloping sites. The lego blocks have never left me wanting for something better...

Hopkins leveling kit:
Lego leveling blocks:

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Leveling gadgets are just a great way to separate YOU from your money.

Sure, but it could just as easily be argued that pretty well anything else RV related is also designed to encourage RVrs to spend more. ๐Ÿ˜› The RV manufacturing industry sells us the basics - i.e. trailer - but it's up to the individual to determine what else may improve their RV camping experience - i.e. options and accessories, which for each and every one of us will be different, in which case discussions like this that detail various solutions are useful. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Worse comes to worse....I just pull out my camp shovel and take away a little dirt/gravel/sand from the high side.

And Bob's your uncle.

Leveling gadgets are just a great way to separate YOU from your money.

A shovel, a couple of 12" x 8" x 2" blocks of wood and really....you should be good to go.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
I made my Andersen copies out of yellow pine about 4 years ago. One of them is shorter than the other to fit between the tires, which are 3โ€ apart at the closest.

I have yet to see an easier method of side to side leveling a TT.

Mine are perhaps half that, just far enough apart that I can get a totally collapsed X-Chock between the adjacent tires ... Andersens, even cut down, just won't fit. ๐Ÿ˜ž Sometimes "easy" just isn't that easy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wow, that is close.
I guess I should have said that I havenโ€™t seen an easier way for me to level side to side. I made something like yours before I saw a post about the Andersens. I also have a nice set made of walnut for when the pine gets retired.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
way too complicated for me. Prefer to use correct number of lego blocks (prefer the yellow kind). Don't like green either.

Not sure what system you're referring to as "way too complicated". :h The problem with any brand of plastic "lego" blocks is they can shift out of position when you pull the trailer up on to a single layer because the blocks are not interconnected as they will be if using more than more layer. Individual blocks can also sink into a soft ground surface such as sand or mud and they can easily crack when sitting on a rough surface such as crusher stone or on an uneven surface which doesn't properly support the block(s). Securing a base layer of these plastic blocks to a wood base solves all these issues. TriLynx could solve this with their Lynx leveling blocks by offering versions with molded on bases in 5, 6, 7, 8 block configurations, as I suggested to the company years ago. Unfortunately they don't, so my solution was to DIY my own using the next best thing for a base - 3/4" plywood. The original version I built years ago for our 2007 TrailCruiser used a single base 6 Lynx long but I later hinged the base to halve it's length and thus make carrying / storing much easier. There's nothing complicated at all about it. :B

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
way too complicated for me. Prefer to use correct number of lego blocks (prefer the yellow kind). Don't like green either.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Beveled edges LOL......I don't think I have ever had a campsite on paving as in those pictures.

True dat! :W

Ralph Cramden wrote:
When you show up at the campsites we search out and have had a couple days of torrential storms beforehand you need to do what works. Fancy manufactured gizmos have never foot the bill. The one lynx cap notwithstanding.

Yep, but I will say that the one system that has always worked for me under every situation I've ever run into, including those like you depict, has been my Lynx / Wood leveling system ... and I think I've tried 'em all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Sorry, but as illustrated in that link I'd never elevate just one low side tire on a dual axle trailer. Thumbs down from me. ๐Ÿ˜ž

parker.rowe wrote:
Why not? Just curious.

One tire, axle, and suspension components are subjected to far more stress than the other tire, axle, and suspension components on the same side of the trailer, and for days at a time while you're camping. Why, when there's no need? :R

Interestingly, later that same link shows both tires properly elevated.

I agree with others in that I see no advantage whatsoever to this Hopkins kit when simply beveling the edges of the 2x achieves exactly the same thing. :S

Beveled edges LOL......I don't think I have ever had a campsite on paving as in those pictures. When you show up at the campsites we search out and have had a couple days of torrential storms beforehand you need to do what works. Fancy manufactured gizmos have never foot the bill. The one lynx cap notwithstanding.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I like 3/4โ€ plywood. One 4x8 sheet of treated plywood will yield an almost lifetime supply of leveling blocks. They donโ€™t split, they are adjustable, theyโ€™re not overly heavy and are easily cleaned. If you like pretty just a little paint works wonders.

srd1941
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using the Andersons now but had to cut one short to make it fit. I have to be carful driving off of them or I'll get one wedged between the tires. I was wondering if two of the Kojack levelers would work.
Stan

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I made my Andersen copies out of yellow pine about 4 years ago. One of them is shorter than the other to fit between the tires, which are 3โ€ apart at the closest.

Mine are perhaps half that, just far enough apart that I can get a totally collapsed X-Chock between the adjacent tires ... Andersens, even cut down, just won't fit. ๐Ÿ˜ž Sometimes "easy" just isn't that easy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
siamese wrote:
For easy effective leveling, I haven't seen anything that surpasses the Anderson leveling system.

My Freedom Express axles are set 29" apart so Andersen levelers, even trimmed, won't fit. ๐Ÿ˜ž Some who tried the Andersens have reported here on the forums breakage when sitting on an uneven ground surface such as crusher stone, sinking in soft ground surfaces such as mud or sand, and slippage on slick surfaces such as tarmac. Guess I'll stick with my Lynx / Wood leveling system. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I made my Andersen copies out of yellow pine about 4 years ago. One of them is shorter than the other to fit between the tires, which are 3โ€ apart at the closest. They provide a bit more than 3โ€ total lift. For soft ground, I have 2 pieces of 1/2โ€ plywood to go under.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
siamese wrote:
For easy effective leveling, I haven't seen anything that surpasses the Anderson leveling system.

My Freedom Express axles are set 29" apart so Andersen levelers, even trimmed, won't fit. ๐Ÿ˜ž Some who tried the Andersens have reported here on the forums breakage when sitting on an uneven ground surface such as crusher stone, sinking in soft ground surfaces such as mud or sand, and slippage on slick surfaces such as tarmac. Guess I'll stick with my Lynx / Wood leveling system. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
The issue I have with putting both tires on leveling blocks is that I am lazy and when I pull up to an uneven spot I donโ€™t know how much height I will need so I put my stack of tapered pre-assembled 2x10s down on the low side and drive up on them till level. Most of the time only one tire is elevated. If I wanted to do both, I would have to drive up on my blocks, test it, if not enough, pull off, stack more wood check again and repeat till level. Much easier to do it just once. I donโ€™t really see a downside.