cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wrangler base plate

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Well after 15 years of pulling around my 01 Wrangler I'm looking for a newer one.
Have my eye on a 2015 4door Sahara. For a little more $ I can change out stock number and use the d hook spot for tabs.
Anyone out there using This bumper? Or something similar.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
30 REPLIES 30

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry missed that :R
Not shure were I got them but it was from a jeep accessory dealer on the web.
I purchased them 14 years ago and they are awesome
2015 Wrangler JKU

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Just looked at the hard rock and LoD makes the one I posted look like a bargain.
I'm using $50.00 brackets now.

Again, where can I find them?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ok have about 1200 miles on pulling new to me jeep and bumper. Have gone up and down 6% grades,stop&ago traffic and a little city driving and everything works flawlessly
I give it a
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
mike brez - keep us in the loop.

Shultzy, which bumper are you using?

Have pulled the wrangler around for a 100 miles or so with my pickup and seems fine.
Headed for Vermont tomorrow with the coach and wrangler in tow we will see.

2015 Wrangler JKU

Shultzy
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s a Rock Hard receiver bumper. Needed a 2 inch receiver in the front for a Home Plow.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5009.htm

Y-Guy
mike brez - keep us in the loop.

Shultzy, which bumper are you using?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Silverton34
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a Wrangler with a three inch lift and 37" tires using a Blue Ox tow bar. The attachment point on the wrangler is a full 3 inches higher than the attachment point to the coach. I am getting quite a bit of sway with the jeep attached at 60 mph, is it possibly the angle of the towbar causing that? I already have a 12 inch raised receiver hitch piece on the motorhome to get it within 3 inches of the jeep height. Everything with the hitch is good and tight, there is no play in the receiver.

Shultzy
Explorer
Explorer

Very similar to my set up. We tow with the Ready Brute system. No problems so far.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I will be the Guinea pig

2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Yea idk it looks pretty strong.

2015 Wrangler JKU

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
If Rugged Ridge thinks the recovery tabs on their Wrangler bumper are not strong enough to pull a Wrangler then what in the world are they good for and why did they even bother putting them on? Does Rugged Ridge just put the recovery tabs on for looks? Do they think we all use our Wranglers (and bumpers) just as mall crawlers?

That's pretty odd for sure. You'd think that if a company goes through the trouble of engineering, design, fabrication and application, that the recovery tabs WOULD be good for towing because, they're supposed to be used to RECOVER a stuck JEEP. And that sometimes, involves quite a bit of pull on them to get the stuck Jeep out of its predicament. So, maybe I guess they're saying the tabs are for "Part time" use, not full time use as in towing.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
If Rugged Ridge thinks the recovery tabs on their Wrangler bumper are not strong enough to pull a Wrangler then what in the world are they good for and why did they even bother putting them on? Does Rugged Ridge just put the recovery tabs on for looks? Do they think we all use our Wranglers (and bumpers) just as mall crawlers?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Are these the D ring adaptors

I was thinking of these

Mike,
Sorry for not getting back here sooner, been traveling a slight amount. No, those are not D-ring adapters. Those are simply towbar adapters to tow bar mounts on various applications. Photobucket was the online photo storage place that I and many others used for storage of photos for when needed to apply to forums like this. But, when they got greedy and wanted a ton of money just to store photos, when there's apparently other photo cache sites that do do it for free, I lost the ability to post photos. And I've not found other or, been able to adapt to other photo host sites.

Now, with all that being said, I'd show you my "D-ring" adapters I use with my Blue Ox Aventa and, our Smittybilt front Mod bumper. And, contrary to popular belief, they (well at least most of those D-ring attachment tabs) ARE STRONG ENOUGH to be used for flat towing. Mine are WELDED on, NOT bolted. And, they are welded from BOTH sides of the bumper face.

Been Jeeping for decades, Moab, Colorado, AZ, CA and more and, have used those recovery tabs (D-ring mounts) thousands of times for Jeep rescue situations in all kinds of circumstances. Of course they're STRONG enough, that's what they're designed for, is PULLING YOUR JEEP out of some tough situations. Or, using your jeep to pull someone else out of their tough situation.

As stated earlier, I've used them for flat towing for years and years and have NEVER, EVER had any of them even crack a weld due to using them for flat towing. This is a choice thing. No one's forcing anyone to use them. If you're thinking they're not strong enough, then simply don't use them. We've got many, many friends that also use their recovery tabs for flat towing and also have never any of them even appear to begin to fail.

This is also about knowing the weld capability, bolt strength, steel plate strength and more. None of our group has ever used any form of a base plate. As stated, we've done Moabs, Colorados, Nevada's, Arizona's and more states trails for years and years and we just don't like the additional loss of ground clearance and angle of approach loss due to using them and, besides, the recovery tabs are there so, to us, just use them. Again, it's a choice/preference thing. If this works, here's a link to the ones we use.
Scott

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX88296.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9rsovu32wIVDoxpCh1saQHFEAQYASABEgL5cPD_BwE
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Y-Guy
The manufacture from Colorado I was thinking is Tomken

I know one of the members here bought a bumper from them and had custom attachment points for their tow bar welded on

Here are some posts from the Archives searching for "Tomken" **Click Here**

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon