cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken water pipe(s) repair or replace

GERALDEAN
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1999 Pace Arrow Vision is showing aging signs. I probably contributed to it by leaving some water in a low spot of the water pipes when I "winterized" last season. Now leaks. And the piping is CPVC and has gotten brittle over 20 years and hard to repair. One leak was repaired and on testing another leak appeared further down the pipe. Leaks are in an almost impenetrable location under furnace and refrigerator. Also near electrical panel and many wiring junctions, circuit boards etc. I will need a plumbing diagram from Fleetwood and hopefully they will comply. Has anyone had experience with this type of problem? I am considering replacing as much piping as possible with PEX or something similar. A huge problem is the crossover of piping from the left to right side of coach. This originates in a tightly confined space under the floor and ends above the floor at the refrigerator area. My body won't it in there. I would love to hear others' similar experiences.
11 REPLIES 11

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
all right, good news.

bet that will give you quite the feeling of accomplishment. :C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Replace with Pex.

I will go with that suggestion as well. When you replace a line some of them are. as you noted, nearly impossible to get to. but you can oftren pull those out and use them to pull a new PEX line in. THen put ends on and hook it up.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GERALDEAN
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Wow. What a great accomplishment. Did you make a map of where all the pipes are?

You bet I did make a map and labels everywhere! With the trusty cell phones we have these days, took many pictures too.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you did a great job! Don't forget the drain valves which you will need when winter comes.
Kevin

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow. What a great accomplishment. Did you make a map of where all the pipes are?

GERALDEAN
Explorer
Explorer
GERALDEAN wrote:
Our 1999 Pace Arrow Vision is showing aging signs. I probably contributed to it by leaving some water in a low spot of the water pipes when I "winterized" last season. Now leaks. And the piping is CPVC and has gotten brittle over 20 years and hard to repair. One leak was repaired and on testing another leak appeared further down the pipe. Leaks are in an almost impenetrable location under furnace and refrigerator. Also near electrical panel and many wiring junctions, circuit boards etc. I will need a plumbing diagram from Fleetwood and hopefully they will comply. Has anyone had experience with this type of problem? I am considering replacing as much piping as possible with PEX or something similar. A huge problem is the crossover of piping from the left to right side of coach. This originates in a tightly confined space under the floor and ends above the floor at the refrigerator area. My body won't it in there. I would love to hear others' similar experiences.

After a 7 week trip without running water and toting large jugs for drinking and toilet flushing, we decided it was time to bite the bullet and get this problem fixed. I got 2 estimates from professional RV repair shops to replace the piping with PEX. The shops required estimates made as the project was considered "major" repair. A third shop declined the project as "too difficult and time consuming". The 2 estimates were $2600 and $3800. I decided to take it on myself. 2 100' rolls of red and blue Pex and a couple hands full of clamps and fittings and I was ready to go. OH,,,,what a job! The coach was only designed to be new and never repaired. The CPVC piping couldn't be concealed better if you worked at it. But I'm done. Tested it this morning. No leaks. Good pressure. Substantially better routing of plumbing and ease for any further repairs or mods. Cost was my time and frustration plus $60 for tubing and fittings.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I would just pull new PEX pipe for what is broken and update connections as needed or accessible.
If it holds pressure I would leave it for now.

x2

The area under some fridge and ovens is pretty open in some rigs and you may find fishing new pipe easy. Use of sharkbite fitting should make install easier. Talk to the plumbing guys down at the hardware store - bring a sample of the old pipe with you.
Kevin

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just pull new PEX pipe for what is broken and update connections as needed or accessible.
If it holds pressure I would leave it for now.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can you attach the new pipe to the end of the old pipe and pull the new in as you pull the old out? If the new pipe is slightly smaller then the old pipe it just might work. Attach the new pipe securely, you don't want it to become disconnected half way through. Otherwise you may have to use a fish tape.

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Shark Bite fittings are your best friend. Used to be afraid of them but now after a few years of using them I would never be without a few in my tool box. Always carry a couple and a few feet of Pex pipe.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Replace with Pex.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.