cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Friction or straight line, or cam bars

NYWarren
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a well worn topic, but.. I'll ask it anyway. Tow vehicle is an F-150 3.5 eco-boost xlt super crew, new trailer is a Jayco 284 that's about 6100 lbs, dry hitch weight of about 700 lbs.

In the past I've towed a coleman popup with a GMC Safari and that combo swayed like mad and used a friction tow bar.

So.... with the truck/jayco.. the Reese friction seems ok, but wouldn't it wear over time? The other set up that looks interesting is the Curt system: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17500.html

Then.. what about the cam bar systems like: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66130.html

Any input is very welcome!!

Thanks folks!!!
10 REPLIES 10

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Another happy dual cam user here. It must be set up correctly to get optimum performance. And the pops and sqeaks can be minimized by a dab of vasoline on the cams and pivot points. Grease on the trunnion pins and Belray chain lube on the latch hinges and and chain pawl. Mine is very quiet.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Dual cam is the best of the options you provided.

Mine keeps my 32ft trailer right behind my X!

X-2

I've using this style hitch for ages. Works, take your time setting it up and tow with ease.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Yep. I spent 10 year towing a 34' TT using a Dual Cam system. It was always a solid connection with now sway even in some hefty cross winds. Lots of folks have good service from Equalizer systems too, so it comes down to price and preference for you. The main takeaway is to get a good Weight Distributing system with built-in sway control and you'll be very happy.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had them all and prefer the Dual Cam's active sway control.

NYWarren
Explorer
Explorer
wow, thanks guys.. seems like my own conclusions were spot on.... dial cam was my guess, and you have all verified it... any issues with the Reese
"made in Mexico" issies? the camper dealer I talked to said to be "Careful"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m an Equil-I-zer fan, camp.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Skip the friction bars for that size trailer and go with something with built in sway control. Common favourites are the Equil-I-zer, Reese dual cam and Blue Ox. The Curt is pretty much the same design as the Equil-I-zer but at a cheaper price. The Reese can be a bit finicky to get dialed in right but once you do it should be good to go. They all have their positives and negatives but any of them will do what you need.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I've used dual-cam hitches on several trailers in the 25-35 ft, and 5 to 9K weight range. In tens of thousands of miles, I have had nothing but great success with the system. The only drawback is that the system is quite noisy, and can groan, bang, and pop like an old pirate ship, as you twist into tight spots or back into a campsite. I would either buy a dual-cam or the Curt system you linked. By the time a dealer give you the, "we recommend two sway bars with a trailer this big" it's time to move on to something better. IMHO, your rig is WAY too big for a friction bar, or two. BTW, etrailer is an awesome company to do business with. Good luck, and make sure that you DIY this job. Nothing like having a complete understanding of your hitch and sway system, AND know that it was installed properly. On three occasions I have taken dealer installed hitch set-ups off, and totally reinstalled them, so that it was safe and properly set-up. One was done for the very first trailer I ever bought, and the dealer had my Tahoe so screwed up, by the time they installed the hitch and brake controller, it was unbelievable. The others were friends who bought trailers and had paid big bucks for hitch installs, only to have me pull everything back off, and start again.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are willing to spend the time necessary to properly set it up the Reese Strait-Line hitch is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. I towed with one for many years and it allows a safe, sway free ride.

It is quite particular about being set up right though. We have an excellent sticky thread here that will help you do exactly that.
Also, we have many members here that own and use the hitch a lot and can help you out. If you are willing to spend the time to get it right you will not be disappointed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine