cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Man Attacked In His RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know if someone else has posted this story - I didn't see it here.

WFAA News: Man Attacked In His RV

A 59 year old man was attacked in Arlington, a suburb of Dallas, while in his parked RV. Reports say that he is partially paralyzed. This doesn't reflect on the safety of camping away from cities, but it is still worth noting that safety can be an issue especially when stealth camping on the streets in city areas.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
52 REPLIES 52

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Alrighty then.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Dave H M wrote:

How can someone think that a weapon is loaded if no round is in the chamber? I have been pondering this statement this AM. My tactical shotgun is loaded with a round in the chamber and the safety on. :h

well I would leave the chamber empty and as I grabbed the gun operate the pump. now that sound would probably immediately stop the intruder, and if not, the next sound he/she heard would.
I almost bought a semi-automatic 12 gauge with a folding stock, but really wanted the pump sound as a deterent.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:

How can someone think that a weapon is loaded if no round is in the chamber? I have been pondering this statement this AM. My tactical shotgun is loaded with a round in the chamber and the safety on. :h

well I would leave the chamber empty and as I grabbed the gun operate the pump. now that sound would probably immediately stop the intruder, and if not, the next sound he/she heard would.
bumpy

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
DallasSteve wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
this poor victims biggest mistake was not locking the door
He is married
Was his wife working?
Was he waiting for her to come home?
Do they have trouble with the door lock??

If the door had been locked, maybe he would have had time to respond
Either by pistol, or maybe by simply driving away

At least in this country we still have choice, that all the gun haters want to take away

I say this if you hate guns, hate for people to own guns
Move to a police state nation, where you don't have the right to choose
And see how happy you are there

Then Get back to us, and tell us how things are

Uh-oh. This smells like the kind of post that will get this thread shut down.

Might as well, the thread has derailed.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Years ago I assisted a LEO that was taken down by a meth head AFTER the officer put four 9 mil rounds center mass into him. Never count on a druggy to do what you expect him to do, like fall down...

That's why after two rounds to center mass the proper next shot it to the cranial cavity!

X2. Easy to remember how many shots you took. Frontsight training? Saying and target bring to mind many a Class Iโ€™ve taken there over the past 8 years.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
He is married
Was his wife working?

At least in this country we still have choice, that all the gun haters want to take away

Uh-oh. This smells like the kind of post that will get this thread shut down.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
I have a tactical shotgun from my boat I use the same way on my truck camper. Same type of threads on boat forums by the way.

It's always loaded, no shell in the chamber and on safety.

How is a weapon safe with a round in the chamber?

How is one unsafe with a round chambered? Can't wait to hear the reasoning.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MrWizard
He is married
Was his wife working?

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mitchmitchell16
Explorer
Explorer
I my case scared of too many good folks all around me who I don't trust with their lethal force close by.

Then worry about all the drivers around you, statistically you are far more likely to be killed by one of those folks behind the wheel of a vehicle.

All the folks I know that have guns for self protection are not scared at all, its the folks without the means to protect themselves that are afraid.

I do agree with the other poster that a gun has to be the *last resort*, not the first one when considering your security. I still think a 'barky' dog is one of the most effective deterrents.
Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Light X213
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch
Weboost Drive 4G-X cellular booster
PentaMetric Battery Monitor
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I have a tactical shotgun from my boat I use the same way on my truck camper. Same type of threads on boat forums by the way.

How is a weapon safe with a round in the chamber?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the surveillance video, he was in an empty parking lot.

Im not sure I'd like to stay in a total empty parking lot or not. To me, it's just inviting a late night visitor.

I do agree one has to take everything into consideration, locking doors, location, maybe having a dog with you etc.. but being armed is also part of everything for some of us.

Folks can do what they want, and choose what they feel is appropriate. I will do the same.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
The point about intruders not always being logical is to counter the macho Dirty Harry attitude. While a gun can protect you, it is not a guarantee. If it was this poor man would not be in the hospital.

People need to think through ALL avenues of protection. Locking the doors. Choosing where they park. And so on.

Simply stating "I have a gun and I would have shot them" is not a properly thought out defense plan. If you think that all you need is that gun to protect yourself, then you might just end up in the hospital yourself.

Be smart and don't rely on one avenue of protection entirely.

Very well stated ... and the wisest comments I've read in a long time concerning "self protection".

Why are we running so scared in this country? I wonder if folks all over the civilized world are - or if it isn't just a bit unique here? Include me in with other people here who are running scared ... I my case scared of too many good folks all around me who I don't trust with their lethal force close by.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The point about intruders not always being logical is to counter the macho Dirty Harry attitude. While a gun can protect you, it is not a guarantee. If it was this poor man would not be in the hospital.

People need to think through ALL avenues of protection. Locking the doors. Choosing where they park. And so on.

Simply stating "I have a gun and I would have shot them" is not a properly thought out defense plan. If you think that all you need is that gun to protect yourself, then you might just end up in the hospital yourself.

Be smart and don't rely on one avenue of protection entirely.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)