cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UPDATE - Black Rock Mountain SP GA

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of ours is camping there this week and gave us an update on the access road and campground.

The big overhanging boulder over the road is gone. The road is still very narrow with hairpin turns so they still would not recommend any rig over 30 feet total (including the tow vehicle). There is a 28 foot mh in the cg with them.

The campground has been expanded. Keep in mind that the campground is on a high ridge so the sites are still small and more cramped than other GA State Parks.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
9 REPLIES 9

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
And did anyone think that maybe when that tenter arrived their where no other sites? Or, that's where the camp host told him to camp, that's happened to me a few times.

Ron W.

You are correct, and that is a possibility, as we arrived on a Monday, and the tent camper could have arrived the prior weekend when things are busy.

Some of the sites, while not shown as dedicated tent sites, would be impossible to get anything on (and reasonably level) except a tent. They have level pads just large enough for a tent, then a very sloped parking pad for a car/SUV/truck. They are excellent sites as they are on the highest ground, on the very highest part of the ridge. Sites 16 thru 27 are what I am referring to. Some would accommodate a popup or very small (13-15 ft or so) trailer, or a van conversion, but several would not, or it would be a real struggle to get anything sited. One site, #16 is on the edge of a very steep dropoff. If you get up in the middle of the night, you need to be wide awake, as the only thing that separates you from a loooong drop is the railroad ties they bordered the site with and filled with crush rock. Goggle Maps satellite view is deceiving, the sites all look large enough, and they are, but standing on the road looking at them, you get to see how much slope they have, that doesn't show in the satellite views.

I've been thinking about going to Black Rock Mtn again, may have to go soon. The Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center (remember the Foxfire books?) is located off a side road on the way up to the park (or you can get to it from town also), and that will be on the agenda this time.

https://www.foxfire.org/

I originally went to Standing Indian Campground in the Nantahala National Forest west of Franklin, NC, on Sunday and got the last site. It was packed with families and extended families, kids on bikes, etc, many had set up large canopies and full field kitchens and were set to stay one to two weeks. On Monday after it became clear that my friend/co-worker would not be able to get in there, I left and went to Black Rock Mtn, and met him there.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
SOooo...u'r mad at the guy camping in a Tent... how do u think All the people feel who are being slowed and blocked by u'r extremely large rig going places u'r ASKED NOT to GO? "Apparently you just didn't care."

And did anyone think that maybe when that tenter arrived their where no other sites? Or, that's where the camp host told him to camp, that's happened to me a few times.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great photos!
:c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
SOooo...u'r mad at the guy camping in a Tent... how do u think All the people feel who are being slowed and blocked by u'r extremely large rig going places u'r ASKED NOT to GO? "Apparently you just didn't care."

Not sure what this is in reference to, as no one has been "slowed and blocked" by going places that we were "asked not to go" (no idea who you think may have asked us not to go where ever)......... :h

Charles

My rig in Campsite #12

Just to note, site 12 is the ONLY site you can make a specific reservation for. Technically it is a handicapped/ADA site, but mostly because it is across from the showers and restrooms. When I got there the host told me to take it. It had been reserved for a week and no one had showed. The ranger said they had not had anyone call about it, so he OK'ed taking it. I told them I would be happy to move if necessary. No one ever showed up for the site. They said it frequently gets reserved by mistake because it is not shown on the reservations website as handicapped/ADA, and people don't understand making reservations for a non-site specific campground.

My co-worker in Campsite #13

Waiting on sunset from the viewing platform that hangs off the edge of the mountain

Town of Clayton GA as seen from the visitor's center at the park
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friend said he didn't see anything longer than 30 ft and didn't think anyone should attempt a longer rig in that cg. As you found out the longer sites fill quickly. He saw plenty of pop-ups, camper vans, B and C classes and a couple of tents, and several trailers no longer than 20 feet. Nothing the size of your rig.

Magnus

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went up there last year in my 24 ft MH. I met my friend who arrived a few minutes earlier. He was in his Ram 3500 quad cab long bed pulling his 30 ft Avion travel trailer. Parked in one of the sites across from the first bath house because his favorite 60 ft deep site across from the second bathhouse was occupied by a guy in a pickup with a tent!!!!!!!. (they have signs asking you to leave the deeper sites for the larger rigs, apparently he didn't care). When we left, I followed my friend down, and yes, he needed both sides of the road in the curves, but we didn't meet anyone coming up.

There was a couple of large 5th wheels and a 38 ft or so MH next to my friend. Its a wonderful place, just be careful and don't go up if you don't have the horsepower. (I was in low gear, about 15 mph watching the trans temp)

I agree, it is tight and rather un-nerving until you have done it once or twice.

Charles

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
Like LadtRVer we visited this beautiful park in the truck while the 5ver waited at Moccasin Creak state park, we love to explore new possible campgrounds when in the area.

After making the drive up we eliminated this park from camping, just too narrow, too tight, hair pin turns on the fairly steep climb. Nice park though as long as your not pulling a trailer.

Georgia has some nice State Parks in the area.

Keith

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful place, but I rode up there in the truck, not towing. Wondered how anyone could even reach the campground. A camper was checking in while I was in their store.