cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing vinyl laminate

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Today I went and bought vinyl laminate flooring to replace the stained carpet in our camper. I wonder if I should start laying it at the back of the camper and work my way to the cabinets in the front?
9 REPLIES 9

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I would do that but I never have much luck getting the link to work....

Use this for posting pics.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
drsteve wrote:
myredracer wrote:

I installed laminate planks in a previous TT and the cabinetry wasn't even close to being in a straight line at the floor.

Why am I not in the least surprised?

Hmmmm, not sure... :B

Bob Vaughn wrote:
I bought the planks yesterday and this morning after breakfast my wife and I started to remove the carpet in the living area and what a pain in the ass.....they had glued and stapled it down.....Getting the planks fitted together under the cabinet fronts is turning out to be a chore........

How about some work in progress pics?

I would do that but I never have much luck getting the link to work....

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
myredracer wrote:

I installed laminate planks in a previous TT and the cabinetry wasn't even close to being in a straight line at the floor.

Hmmmm, not sure... :B

Bob Vaughn wrote:
I bought the planks yesterday and this morning after breakfast my wife and I started to remove the carpet in the living area and what a pain in the ass.....they had glued and stapled it down.....Getting the planks fitted together under the cabinet fronts is turning out to be a chore........

How about some work in progress pics?

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normally you'd run the "planks" lengthwise. Won't make it any easier but will look better. Measure overall width carefully and cut the started row of planks as needed so you don't end up with the last row being a narrow length.

I installed laminate planks in a previous TT and the cabinetry wasn't even close to being in a straight line at the floor. I used some green painters tape and scribed a line on the laminate then cut it with a jigsaw to get an even gap. I made our gap about 3/16" and used some wood 3/8" thick x 1-1/2" tall as a baseboard to cover the gap and stained & varathaned it at cabinetry and painted it an almond color against luan paneling.

You'll want to allow for expansion/contraction throughout and movement anywhere that it can get hung up like at entry door threshold, dinette table flanges, toilet, etc.

FWIW, you'll be working on hands and knees in a cramped area and may benefit from knee pads and a bottle of Tylenol. ๐Ÿ˜ž

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Check the expanse of the floor for square and plumb as it meets any built-in fixtures. Check overall length so the start and endpoint have a piece large enough to be cosmetically and strucutrally OK. Snap a straight line for your first planks or spacer and abutt them along a fixture/wall. There are a few online videos for installation techniques. It is, typically, an easy installation.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
I would say you should take careful measurements and make a layout chart of your camper floor. Ideally, you ensure that when you lay the flooring down, there is no place where there is a tiny bit of flooring next to a large piece.

So, when you start laying the floor, you might start with a cutoff piece, so when you get into the traffic areas of your camper, you have no narrow pieces.

And, sometimes laying the last few pieces can be difficult, so it that is someplace where it won't be seen, start at the other end.

What he said. Figure out what you're going to do and how it will end before you begin.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would say you should take careful measurements and make a layout chart of your camper floor. Ideally, you ensure that when you lay the flooring down, there is no place where there is a tiny bit of flooring next to a large piece.

So, when you start laying the floor, you might start with a cutoff piece, so when you get into the traffic areas of your camper, you have no narrow pieces.

And, sometimes laying the last few pieces can be difficult, so it that is someplace where it won't be seen, start at the other end.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel