cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water fill tube Question

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Wife informs me that she has no problem filling fresh water tank with pressure nozzle. I have wondered why it wants to air lock and fill slowly, Today I crawled under there and find that the fill tibe makes a 90 and runs over a side stile in one of the cabinets. In doing so it makes a slight incline to the result that it will only gravity feed 1/3 of the tube diameter. Is this by design or by stupid?

There is room to notch and fix the issue.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
19 REPLIES 19

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hey Dougie......

Believe what you wish but turn over is HUGE and drugs run rampant in Elkhart

Bonus work is a cute PC word....means the same thing PIECE WORK

Piece Work NEVER promotes quality

Piece Work is one reason for turnover rate.

Piece Work requires very little training and most 'skill' is learned on the factory floor.

Maybe its time for Union influence

X2. Everything the industry does is guaranteed to promote poor quality.

LIke the junkie we must be addicted because despite all of these known shortcomings we keep buying it.
The P.T Barnum effect is alive and well in the RV industry.
They keep making the junk and we keep buying it.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hey Dougie......

Piece Work requires very little training and most 'skill' is learned on the factory floor.

X2. Everything the industry does is guaranteed to promote poor quality.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I find that "lack of skill" is usually trumped by "lack of attention to detail".

But there are also engineering mistakes like on my trailer, the water fill on the side is only 6 inches higher than the top of the water tank thats under the bed. Drive around any corner, curve, bend in the road and you lose 1/3 of the fresh water by the time you get to your destination.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
77rollalong wrote:
i guess i made a mistake when i replaced the fill connector on ours,, i don't even have a hose between the fill on the outside, and the tank. i managed to get the outside fill opening to fit directly into the fresh water holding tank, just one gear clamp..

The first thing anyone with a new RV should do if able is to remove every removable piece of cabinet you can, access panel, baffle, etc and attempt to gain access to any hidden areas. Have on hand a wide assortment of hardware, cable ties, pex fittings and crimper, and other tools and equipment. You'll need them. Anyone who thinks they recieved the one perfect RV made in Indiana this year is in RV fantasy land. They are total garbage construction on the best of days. It's not if something will fall apart, it's when. And that's probably at the most inconvenient time. Check the lugs on all the shore power connectors and the AC breakers, as they are always done extra super special.After doing that you may need some drugs. Go out back and fire up a Scooby Snack.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
i guess i made a mistake when i replaced the fill connector on ours,, i don't even have a hose between the fill on the outside, and the tank. i managed to get the outside fill opening to fit directly into the fresh water holding tank, just one gear clamp..

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hey Dougie......

Yea it's the drugs.... Good Grief :S
Sometimes you old men. Act like Old Men!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Dougie......

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturers have made the decision to throw quality control out the window, and just ship their problems to the dealer and the buyer. And there's no excuse for it.

They can build them fast, as long as they actually inspect and repair issues, follow up with guys who make build errors, and (this is the real key) improve their process to make mistakes less likely to occur in the first place.

The auto manufacturers build a far more complex product with way fewer quality issues. It's not rocket science, the principles and methods of effective QC are well known.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
"Boss says I'm doing fresh water installs. And to think yesterday I was just a lot jockey. This job is alright......Boss says I should be doing electrical wiring by next week"

Sorry, but RV factory jobs are specialized. They do NOT move people around from dept's. They do NOT have time to move and train people for specific dept's. The production line moves too fast to wait for a novice to get up to speed. Doug

Piece Mill work requires NO TRAINING
And majority of workers in RV MFG Factories in Elkhart work 'Piece Mill'

Biscuit, you do not know what you are talking about. Bonus systems are set up to indeed make them work faster, but if you think YOU or just anybody could just walk in and start building the units without training, you are nuts. I WORKED in Elkhart for 5 years building RV's and you have to KNOW what you are doing. The nice thing about RV building unlike Auto building is, they have NO unions. The Dept workers determine if someone stays working. Don't pull your weight, THEY make sure you are gone. They will not allow lazy people to pull them down. Bonus or Piece Rate, same principle applies. I just got back from Jayco a few months ago, and am thankfull I am an RV Tech instead of a Line worker. The pace is incredible and yes they make mistakes, but not caused by lack of skill. Doug

Not being able to run a screw in straight and without stripping it is lack of skill. Not tightening main electrical connections is lack of skill. Missing areas of roof sealant is lack of skill. Not tightening drain traps is lack of skill. Welds that have no penetration and crack is lack of skill. Probably 90% of issues people have with new RVs is lack of skill despite the cheap materials.....or just plain old not giving a sheet.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
They may have skills, and can work faster, but it just means they make mistakes in a shorter amount of time. :B Seriously, if the mfrs would get OFF the piece rate pay, and produce the same # of units in a normal 8 hour day, quality would go up. I know that if I hurry something that I well know how to do, I usually screw something up, but if I slow down a bit, I make many fewer mistakes. The old saw about "you can have it fast or you can have it right" can't be any more apropos than in the RV building industry. Personally, I'd much rather have it right.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
"Boss says I'm doing fresh water installs. And to think yesterday I was just a lot jockey. This job is alright......Boss says I should be doing electrical wiring by next week"

Sorry, but RV factory jobs are specialized. They do NOT move people around from dept's. They do NOT have time to move and train people for specific dept's. The production line moves too fast to wait for a novice to get up to speed. Doug

Biscuit, you do not know what you are talking about. Bonus systems are set up to indeed make them work faster, but if you think YOU or just anybody could just walk in and start building the units without training, you are nuts. I WORKED in Elkhart for 5 years building RV's and you have to KNOW what you are doing. The nice thing about RV building unlike Auto building is, they have NO unions. The Dept workers determine if someone stays working. Don't pull your weight, THEY make sure you are gone. They will not allow lazy people to pull them down. Bonus or Piece Rate, same principle applies. I just got back from Jayco a few months ago, and am thankfull I am an RV Tech instead of a Line worker. The pace is incredible and yes they make mistakes, but not caused by lack of skill. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to re-route my fill tube, too. It sure works better without having to pump the water uphill!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

They =train= people before slappping a nail gun (or whatever) in their hand? Coulda fooled me from some of the cr@p I've seen.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member