cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mouse poo in shower?

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning up for trip this weekend and found a few spots where mice got in. The weirdest is the shower floor. Solid doors were shut...drain cap was out of drain? There was still anti freeze in the drain trap.
Too late to hook up a hose and run some water but I am worried the little buggers chewed through a pipe and or tank.
I'll see tomorrow evening I guess.
Any ideas how else they may have gotten in and out?
16 REPLIES 16

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
ROFL...When I first glanced at the thread title, all I could think of was "Moose Poo In the Shower?!?"

:E

Yeah, Moose, and mice can be annoying. Good luck with the removal process!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rodents... Awww, but they look so cute what with their itty bitty little feet, big ears and all.

Mice can fit through a hole as small as 1/4" in dia. and rats 1/2" in dia., as long as their skulls can fit through. Rodents are pretty good at climbing too. Besides chewing through stuff, the feces & urine are a problem and rodents can carry many diseases and you should take the necessary precautions. Enclosed underbellies make a cozy place to nest. Solid material like metal or plywood would be best to cover holes but not always possible. Lots of chemical treatments available. Poison not a good idea -mouse/rats are better. Don't know if the steel wool method works well.

If you go looking, there's plenty of holes, cracks and gaps in RVs. Often in floors but also places like slide seals & shore power cord opening. I sealed up a LOT of holes in our floor. Some looked like they used a chainsaw and in one location, they hacked clear through aluminum floor joists.

I built a house once and a field rat chewed through the exterior wall plywood. I put in a new piece of plywood only to find that it chewed through again in the same spot. Found it in the basement and thought I'd throw a cardboard box over it. It stood on it's hind legs, bared it's teeth and let out a blood curdling scream. Bad idea. I then resorted to poison only to learn that a dead rat hidden behind a wall somewhere does not smell good. After that, it was traps...

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Rodents can make holes pretty easily. They jump up the jacks, start crawling through a hole that pipes or wires come from, and now have a nice new home. By keeping the stabilizer jacks up, it helps reduce entryways to the chassis.

Usually the local vermin pay their motel fee by becoming food for the local farm cats.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
A mouse can squeeze thru a gap as small as 1/4".

Rv builders may cut a 4" hole to run a 1.5" pipe which leaves plenty of room for rodents to enter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
tenbear wrote:
Lie down on your back under your RV with a spray can of foam and fill any holes you find with foam. ......

Again why are there holes under the RV?

I don't know why there are holes, but mine had several where different pieces of metal met. None of these were big but they were certainly there. For all I know, the RVs may be better built now, but from what I read on the forums, I think the builders still do less than a perfect job.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp... no extra charges.... I should have charged the campground... as he hitch-hiked back with and didn't contribute to gas. Plus the charges to get rid of the HUGE rat when he jumped out of a drawer when I pulled it open and he or she, ran into the bathroom, behind the toilet. Another story. LOL.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
tenbear wrote:
Lie down on your back under your RV with a spray can of foam and fill any holes you find with foam. ......

You need to take a trip to Elkardt IN or Goshen, Millersburg etc and take a couple of factory tours, then you'll know why. Or save some fuel and watch THIS LOL

I kind of wish that video would go away! I get more upset every time I watch it!
However itโ€™s a good video for newbies to see!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Mice are like thieves . If they want in they will find a way. For either one just trap them and throw in trash :B

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
tenbear wrote:

You need to take a trip to Elkardt IN or Goshen, Millersburg etc and take a couple of factory tours, then you'll know why. Or save some fuel and watch THIS LOL
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
tenbear wrote:

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee. I give the job of mouse proofing to my traveling companion Alex. Now Alex would just love some mice to play with but for some reason they avoid him. He says Come and play then We shall dine. THey hear Mouse pate for cat's dinner
He says Why do you run so fast and far They don't wish to be served Tartar.

Oh ALex says MEOW.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Lie down on your back under your RV with a spray can of foam and fill any holes you find with foam. If the holes are large you could stuff some steel wool into the hole first. I did this years ago and haven't had a mouse since. One thing I missed at first was the opening that the power cord enters the MH. I now have a metal plate that closes the hole when we are plugged in.

You don't say what your RV is, knowing that might help.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am always puzzled to hear about rodents getting into an RV. How does that happen? I have a truck camper so I can readily inspect the RV when it is off the truck. The body is sealed and covered with either plastic sheating or metal. Windows and compartment doors all have tight fitting gaskets. I am not sure how even an ant could center the RV.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Also, upon leaving one campground, the door was open and a nice (NOT) big rat came home in the RV.

Did the campground charge extra for the rat :@