cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Charging Issue

Whaler
Explorer
Explorer
Helping son with battery issue on a older Fleetwood Montana on a Ford 350 chassis. House battery was bad and replaced. House bat charges on external and genny power, chassis bat does not. Motor running charges chassis bat but not the house bat. Is this normal on a class c or does he have a problem somewhere?
9 REPLIES 9

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We also have an older (2004) Ford E350 based MH. Low end I guess. Rather than an extra battery isolator it uses the built in Ford auxiliary battery charging circuit which consists of a fuse and relay in the engine fuse box. Look up the details under fuses and relays in the Ford manual.

When I had engine charging of house battery shortcomings I found that the charging voltage was a couple of volts below what the engine battery was feeling. It had only 12 gauge wire but that wasnโ€™t the main problem; it was a connection with a half volt loss, a long wire to a poor battery disconnect switch, rather than a relay, losing another volt.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just had this problem on my Fleetwood Tioga,as others have said it is most likely the continuous duty solenoid,once I replaced it the house battery was once again being charged from the alternator.

The one I replaced looks like This
Mine was in the battery bay not like the one in the video but the concept is the same.

Here is a video that may be of help
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to PROPERLY charge a house bank of batteries while driving, please read this ! DC-DC Battery Charging

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Old Fleetwood Montara has a solenoid in the engine compartment on the firewall - when you turn the ignition switch the solenoid energizes and connects chassis/coach batteries. Overtime they start to stick or just fail - it's a continuous duty solenoid readily available at any auto parts store. As I recall if you turn the ignition switch the solenoid should make a disntive click as it energizes - sometimes when stuck a little rap with hammer might unstick it.
Kevin

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds pretty normal except the alternator should charge the house battery.
Need to find the isolator and check for an open connection.

You can add equipment to charge both directions and still isolate when no charging voltage is present.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
When my house battery got too low from inexperience, the surge through the wiring when the chassis motor started caused the inline fuse to blow. I had to charge the house battery with jumper cables to get back up a bit before the inline 20 amp fuse would hold. The fuse might be on either side of the relay isolator, but if it's an older model I doubt you would have a BIRD
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
If you find a BIRD (Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay) module then it is the control module for a 12 VDC Relay that connects the chassis battery to the house battery depending on the logic of the moment.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
house batteries should charge when trundling down the road. There may be a blown fuse, or a failed isolator diode, or a relay with burned contacts.

Chassis battery not charging from generator or shore power is normal. Add a trick-l-start, or similar device.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œHouse bat charges on external and genny power, chassis bat does notโ€ That is normal. It is normal (in most MHs) however for house batteries to be charged when the vehicle is being driven. There is a solenoid, relay or some type of connection that is either malfunctioning or missing.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.