cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those with outdoor kitchen fridges.....

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
.... do you travel with beverages in them?

I was wondering as we just purchased a new BH with an outdoor kitchen. With it being at the back of the trailer and also the roughest ride I am concerned that it will get beat into oblivion.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS
19 REPLIES 19

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I have a strap around the fridge and used it the only time I brought the fridge with me. The fridge now sits in the garage as a bar fridge . The problem I found was that you need to puta decent sized towel under the freezer part and on top of the tray to absorb thawed ice that will get everywhere when unplugged and travelling for hours.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Paper towel rolls are a real boon to loading food in an RV, either in the fridge or in a pantry cupboard. I also usually have a 1 gallon water container in my dorm fridge so there is not a lot of packing to be done.

I traveled on boats for years so packing food and drinks is second nature. Now, I have a small travel trailer with torsion axles and shock absorbers. I did an inadvertent experiment, once. I left an open can of soda on the kitchen counter. When we stopped I found the open can still in the same position.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

cgjt
Explorer
Explorer
There are many models with outside kitchens. Keystone Sprinterhas a few as do most of the other manufacturers. Many are placed in bunkhouse models. Also many offer the outside kitchens as an option in place of an outside storage area. We have a dorm size fridge, a swing out two burner stove, a small sink with hot and cold water,, a drawer that is used for silverware, three hanging cabinets used for plates, bowls, cups,and other outside miscellaneous items. It would be hard to have a camper without an outside kitchen after having this one. Except when boondocking, we use no ice since the fridge will hold about 3 cases of beverages plus other items such as the cooking condiments. Little need to go inside when cooking.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

Which model offers that? I've looked at ORV trailers and have never seen an outdoor kitchen offered. Is it in a discontinued model?

Interesting. It does look like they no longer offer outside kitchens.

Mine is a 32KQBS, which is really 38' overall. Last time I was at the factory they said they discontinued it because the quad slides installation impacted the production line too much.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

cgjt
Explorer
Explorer
With our outdoor refrigerator, I use refrigerator bars that are spring loaded and adjust to the internal width of the refrigerator. I load the fridge up with drinks then place the bar(s) up against the cans and close the door. The door is held tight with a Velcro strap that goes around the fridge into a couple metal loops secured to the wall that holds the fridge tight and keeps the door closed. We also have the fridge bars for the fridge on the inside. The bars can be bought at Camping World, WalMart, Amazon and many other places. They have worked great for several years with many travels. Hope this helps.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t have an out side kitchen, but I do have a dorm fridge. It runs off a 1500W inverter when on the road. Some days we travel 6-12 hours so it needs to stay cold. Mine is inside right next to the entry door in front of the axles so no shaking, but it does need to be strapped shut! If I had one in a rear kitchen I would pack it right and make sure it doesnโ€™t open.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
I LOVE the idea of an outdoor fridge and kitchen, BUT we boondock almost exclusively....why don't mfrs offer a 2-way fridge on that outdoor location??? That would be great!!

Outdoors RV includes a 3-way fridge on the outdoor kitchen. Its great! It really serves as the bar most of the time, and keeps most of the traffic out of the trailer.

Which model offers that? I've looked at ORV trailers and have never seen an outdoor kitchen offered. Is it in a discontinued model?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We always just opened the door carefully. Never lost anything to the ground, but did catch a couple of things on their way down.

We used a baby latch to hold the door shut. We added a second "catch" to keep it out of the way while we were setup at camp.

http://learntorv.com/mini-mod-outdoor-fridge-opens-during-travel/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
We usually have a combination of cans and bottles in our outdoor fridge and it's never packed tight enough to avoid movement, so moving them to a temporary box seems to be the best solution. Plastic box, just in case. Also, I agree with using some kind of strap to keep the door closed enroute. Found out why the hard way.

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
I pack my fridge at least a day before leaving so everything is cold when I unplug and leave. I don't take any extra measures like pool noodles or anything like that. I just take care and open it slowly as things inevitably have fallen, but nothing has ever been damaged. I do use these locks to keep the door closed while in transit. Even on a trip up to 8 hours the items in the fridge were not super cold, but had not gotten warm by any means.

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Xtraguard-Action-Multi-Latches/dp/B007A2ZSZ8/ref=sr_1_18_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527086273&sr=8-18&keywords=child+drawer+safety

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just carry a cooler when camping with a trailer. It can be moved anywhere. Much handier than an outside refer.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
outdoor "kichen" fridges are just 120V? so regular compressor fridges?

Yes, just like a "dorm fridge" - 120 vac compressor fridge.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Beachums wrote:
.... do you travel with beverages in them?

I was wondering as we just purchased a new BH with an outdoor kitchen. With it being at the back of the trailer and also the roughest ride I am concerned that it will get beat into oblivion.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Our Freedom Express doesn't have an outside kitchen but the 6 cu ft fridge inside is mounted along the far rear wall of the trailer.

Compared to previous trailers we've owned with the fridge set midway along one side of the trailer there's no question it's a rougher ride for the contents at the rear. That said, we take no special precautions, don't use anything extra to contain the contents, and now in our 6th season with this camper haven't had any particular issues because of it. Based on this I'd say you're overthinking it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
outdoor "kichen" fridges are just 120V? so regular compressor fridges?
I guess it makes sense for most, $60 bar fridge instead of a $600 rv fridge!!
never had one, so had to ask!!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260