Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer brake upgrade question

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends,

As you can probably see based on my other posts, in less than a month I'm picking up my new 2018 Jayco Jay Flight 285 RLS SLX. Its GVWR is 8250 pounds, and I have a 2017 Ram 3500 CTD.

My question is this: is it worthwhile at all to look into a disc brake upgrade? Would that just be wasted money? I will only tow in flat Alberta this summer, but my destinations will change next season.

thanks!

Kevin
23 REPLIES 23

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I will remember to switch back to drum when I need to power brake my RV combo on the drag strip.
Otherwise I like my disks in every way over drum.

That holding power comment just makes no sense, brakes are a heat device, and no heat is generated while staged at the starting line of a drag strip. If one wants to do a brake comparison at a drag strip, do it in the shut-down area.

After doing a complete replacement twice of my cheap drum brakes, I was stupid for not changing them out for disks at the first sign of trouble.
Actually for holding power on a stationary vehicle it does make sense in that drum brakes create a wedge as the more force is applied to the leading shoe puts even more pressure on the main shoe. As more torque is applied the more holding power.

And yes I made the leap to disk when my drums were looking like they needed to be replaced. By the time I pull it all off I thought I may as well put on disk. Very happy with the effort. Brake work was about the same. Pump and hydraulics were extra work but not overly difficult.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Those that pull heavy GN trailers for a living SERIOUSLY prefers drum over disc in the long run.
I know when I was pulling on the road disc brakes stopped my trailer better wet wet which wasn't very often but overall drums performed better. When you put 80k-100k mile a year on a trailer you learn a lot about things like brakes/wheels/tires.
When I put a trailer in service I go through all the wiring before putting one in service making sure the brakes get the required amps (not volts. Doing away with those clam shell crimps is #1 prioriety.
I wouldn't pay extra if it was a option.

No more than you will pull the trailer drums when set up properly will work fine for you.
However if I was wanting disc brakes I would get them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Like I said. Go argue with them.
Uh, no. You don't get to do that. It's YOU making the claims, regardless of where you get them from.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

•Rear drum brakes generate lower heat.
Well, right there proves they don't know what they're talking about. The amount of heat generated is exactly equal the the energy the brakes have to absorb to stop. Drums and disc generate _exactly_ the same amount of heat to stop a vehicle of the same weight, going the same speed. That's physics.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I will remember to switch back to drum when I need to power brake my RV combo on the drag strip.

That holding power comment just makes no sense, brakes are a heat device, and no heat is generated while staged at the starting line of a drag strip. If one wants to do a brake comparison at a drag strip, do it in the shut-down area.

After doing a complete replacement twice of my cheap drum brakes, I was stupid for not changing them out for disks at the first sign of trouble.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I was going to do something to improve safety I'd get the Hayes electronic sway control before I'd spend the huge money on swapping to disc brakes. In fact I was about to buy it for my trailer when I found out that there's a known compatibility with the OEM brake controller on certain Chevy\GMC models including my TV.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
jim1521 wrote:
I wanted to not have to rely on 50's technology to try and stop my 10,000 lb trailer.
Well worth the money in my mind.

You are aware that disc brakes were invented in 1902, right?

But I agree they are far superior to the junk drums we are all accustom to seeing.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Sorry T&P but that is all earth is flat stuff and all of it is false. Even worse, some of that is twisting the facts (Disc take more force? NOT FROM THE OPERATOR!!!).
It too ridiculous and absurd to argue all the individual wrong statements.

BTW, I was in the airline industry where stopping is even more important. Oh and money is no object.
No drums on modern aircraft, especially STOL capable aircraft where rows of discs are used.

Like I said. Go argue with them.

I have used both on 140 MPH drag cars and the drum will kill a disc on holding power. That is a fact. You might not like it but it is a fact. If I circle track raced there is no way in hell I would use a drum brake because of heat rejection.

I worked as an A&P mechanic. They don't use drums on airplanes because of heat rejection and not holding power. Much like stock cars they don't give a rats behind about holding power on airplanes. You can also use a little thin disk that weighs next to nothing on airplanes. Not so with drums on airplanes.

BTW when did I say that a drum brake stops faster or better than a disc? That's right, I didn't.

I said or will now say:

A: They have more braking force and holding power.

B: They have more surface area.

C: They last a whole hell of a lot longer than disc brakes.

😧 They do not drag like disc brakes do.

E: They are cheap to make.

The above are facts and the advantages of drum brakes.

Here are the advantages of disc brakes:

A: They reject heat WAY better than drum brakes.

B: There is no adjustment.

C: They don't trap water or other contaminates like a drum can.

😧 Pads are very easy to replace unlike most drums.

These are facts.

BTW the big rig that shipped your tow vehicle to the dealer...………..ya; about 90% have drum brakes. (for the reasons I listed above)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest advantage I found with disk over drum on an RV trailer was consistency of stopping power. Drums would be a bit sluggish as I pulled out of storage and I end up cranking up the controller. Then after some miles they start gripping better and could lock up in a panic stop if I did not adjust the gain back down. Yes they are adjusted and whatever. The disks just work with consistent power every time in sync with the truck. No issues with getting worked in or locking up. No need to adjust the controller for various conditions.

For some other specialized use... do whatever makes you happy.

As for those four wheel drums on my old '65 Coronet they were good for three hard stops and then serious life flashing before your eyes fade would set in and you just keep rolling no matter hard you stand on the peddle.

Let me know when Ferrari switches back to drum :R

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry T&P but that is all earth is flat stuff and all of it is false. Even worse, some of that is twisting the facts (Disc take more force? NOT FROM THE OPERATOR!!!).
It too ridiculous and absurd to argue all the individual wrong statements.

BTW, I was in the airline industry where stopping is even more important. Oh and money is no object.
No drums on modern aircraft, especially STOL capable aircraft where rows of discs are used.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Well I would argue with you guys but you would not believe me anyway.

So I will give you a link. Then you can argue with the link or the people that wrote it. :B

Brake shoes today are still being used. Here are some advantages that drum brakes have over disc brakes:
•Drum brakes can provide more braking force than an equal diameter disc brake.
•Drum brakes last longer because drum brakes have increased friction contact area than a disc.
•Drum brakes are cheaper to manufacture than disc brakes.
•Rear drum brakes generate lower heat.
•Drum brakes have a built-in self energizing effect that requires less input force (such as hydraulic pressure
•Wheel cylinders are simpler to recondition than with disc brake calipers.
•Brake shoes can be remanufactured for future use.
•Drums have slightly lower frequency of maintenance due to better corrosion resistance.

I drag race and if the rules say no tranny brakes and I have to foot brake race I will choose a drum any day over a disk in the back. A disk just can't hold the engine against the converter where a drum can. And I can pick any brake system I want on my race car.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Drums have no advantage over disc's. They don't stop faster, they don't work better wet and they aren't easier to service.
They're used because they're cheap.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Drum has a lot of advantages over disk. Two of the biggest is they can apply more braking force and they last longer.
Uh, what? They definitely don't provide more stopping power. That's why cars went from all drum, to front disc back drum (most of the stopping is done by the front), to all disc. They last about the same, but pads are much easier to replace than shoes and they seat faster. The only advantage of drums is they're much cheaper and (usually) don't get wet when traveling.

I was under the impression that drums often have more braking power than disks of the same diameter. They have more friction surface area, and are self energizing. Plus the friction is applied further out in the assembly, giving them more leverage on the axle.

However, they don't get rid of heat as well and can fade more quickly. They require adjustment, are harder to service, etc, etc.

Nothing wrong with a well designed and maintained drum brake. The big trailers use 'em, and they stop a bit of weight now and then!

That said, I know nothing about disc trailer brakes. I'm sure like most factory installed stuff on campers, they are not the best. Just responding to this one point.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000