cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Houston Trailer Storage - Covered vs Uncovered?

CanuckCamper29
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, I'm moving to Houston (Katy), TX from Calgary, Canada and I'm wondering about storing my travel trailer under cover or not.

Covered storage is not a thing in the Calgary area.

I'm guessing people choose covered to avoid the sun.

Is it worth it? I'm interested in opinions on the value of covered storage.

Thanks,
CC
2013 F150 Lariat SCREW
ProPride 3P
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS
19 REPLIES 19

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Covered really makes a difference in country where weather ranges from brutal sun to thunderstorms with giant hailstones. In Houston, you will also be dealing with flooding. They build 4 million dollar homes on property prone to flood during hurricanes and stalled thunderstorms, so good luck finding a RV storage place on relatively high ground.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

CanuckCamper29
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
OP - if your moving to Texas, your going to need a cowboy hat!

Sounds like you're preaching to the choir - the OP is in Calgary, Alberta, home of the Calgary Stampede and if there's any "cow country" in Canada it's Alberta so I'd bet he already has the hat and boots! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Indeed. Hats and boots (multiple options) - check! Best sun hat going!

Sounds like itโ€™s covered storage for me.

Thanks for everyoneโ€™s input.
2013 F150 Lariat SCREW
ProPride 3P
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I pay $100 a month for covered storage. I could pay a lot less to park my rig, but the sun and elements do a lot of damage. Well worth it.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, check to see how that storage lot did during the last flood.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

Sounds like you're preaching to the choir - the OP is in Calgary, Alberta, home of the Calgary Stampede and if there's any "cow country" in Canada it's Alberta so I'd bet he already has the hat and boots! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
When I posted, "Doesn't matter where you live....covered storage is ALWAYS preferable." I certainly meant some kind of storage building...
I knew that, and so did 99% of other readers of this thread...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is inside year round. Only time its not is when we are camping or if I pull it out to work on it. I keep it inside just as much for the sun as the rain and snow.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
I stored my trailer in Magnolia Tx, north of Katy in a covered lot with a 110 outlet to maintain the battery(S). paid about 125.00 and had a wide path between campers. The rain will turn the outside of your trailer green if not protected, just look at trailer parks in the area.Its a bit far but if you need the name of my trailer storage place I can look it up for you. We have family in Houston, lived there for 6years.Cover it!!

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
hail ruined our roof and damaged our trailer. covered storage is worth it.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
100 percent agree that getting your camper under a roof is 100 percent better than leaving it exposed to the elements, especially intense heat and sun. If you can afford a covered storage facility, then do it.

Second best is a fabric RV cover. This may be a real headache putting on and taking off if you use your camper very much. But in the extreme elements or if parked under messy trees, covers are worth it.

Third best, (but you should do this anyway), is to keep the roof treated with RV conditioner at least once a year, more if you have the time.

One argument for having a dirty roof, opposed to those us of 'crazy people' who like to keep them spotless clean ... at least dirt puts a layer of protection between the sun's UV rays and the rubber the roof is covered with! So, if you live in Texas, because of the extreme sun, I suggest you never wash your roof if you can't keep it under a cover and hope acid rain doesn't dissolve the rubber.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Same as in Calgary, protection from sun and water.
Depends on your use. If I was using it 6mo out of the year I wouldnโ€™t spend more to cover it the other 6 unless from solid rain/snow. If itโ€™s used that much, its less ROI if youโ€™re paying for storage.
Remember too, covered storage is handy, covers and tarps arenโ€™t, but theyโ€™re effective and cheaper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnie is never at rest uncovered.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
When I posted, "Doesn't matter where you live....covered storage is ALWAYS preferable." I certainly meant some kind of storage building...

I agree, canvas covers are a huge PITA.
We pay for storage in a building, it's expensive but worth it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:
Doesn't matter where you live....covered storage is ALWAYS preferable.

X2!