Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter

Rgtopda
Explorer
Explorer
Xantrex Freedom 450 inverter

I have a 2006 Fleetwood 39L Excursion. I was having inverter Problems not charging batteries. Took it to local rv service center and they stated that the inverter was bad. $1000 for new one plus install fee. Checked prices and yes that was the going rate. Told them to hold off and took rv home. I was telling a friend of mine about the situation and he said to let a buddy of his look at it first who is a Fleetwood service Guy and was very good with electronics. When he arrived he removed the inverter cover and replace a .59 cent fuse and the inverter fired up and started doing its job. He stated that he must have 500 of the fuses in his truck because that is usually the issue. He worked for a dealer once and was told to replace inverters not fuses... Just a fyi...Always good to ask someone else before spending that hard earned money
RGTOPDA
(Jimmy Buffett Fan)
2003 Newmar Dutch star
36 ft. Gulf Breeze Fl.
4 REPLIES 4

Rgtopda
Explorer
Explorer
Fuses Fuses Fuses is all I can say...Once the inverter was working I found at least 4 other fuses that had blown because of the inverter. One being the bedroom slide.. I sure thought that the motor was gone. But no it was a fuse. This was a used Motorhome that I bought with what was told was a bad slide blown lights and eating batteries. It has been over a month now all is working....
RGTOPDA
(Jimmy Buffett Fan)
2003 Newmar Dutch star
36 ft. Gulf Breeze Fl.

Rgtopda
Explorer
Explorer
As long as I had the batteries on a alternate charger I had lights on the inverter. However it did not take long for the house batteries to die after removing them from the source. To answer your question no other functions worked. That is why the dealer wanted to replace the inverter since the batteries were good....
RGTOPDA
(Jimmy Buffett Fan)
2003 Newmar Dutch star
36 ft. Gulf Breeze Fl.

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Rg..thanks for the info. I am curious: Did other functions of your inverter work...or was it completely dead ?
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IN another thread I was talking about body shops.

Many shops today just replace fenders. they never bump 'em out, just bolt on a new one.

Older shops would often bump 'em out or fill 'em in and do actual body work.

You just described the same thing. The first shop "Replace the failed module"
The secondm Diagnose and fix (replace the failed fuse)

I've seen this same thing many times.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times