cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kitchen Slide on Dutchmen 3100 BHS

bnkrtstk
Explorer
Explorer
Due to a refrigerator fire in a '02 Mallard we are in the market for a new(to us)TT. My sister in law is looking to upgrade from her Dutchmen 3100BHS and we might pick it up from her. The problem is we have a permanent site with a one year old screen room and this model has a slide out kitchen that would encroach into the screen room. I was wondering if it had to be in the out position to utilize the kitchen.
12 REPLIES 12

bnkrtstk
Explorer
Explorer
The screen room is connected to the camper and it replaced the awning. In fact the vinyl roof of the screen room is in the awning track. If my wife likes the trailer we will adjust the outside living setup accordingly. The whole situation sucks because we put up the screen room last season and just got the site the way we wanted so I could actually relax this season. Such is life. Thanks for the replies everyone.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
parker.rowe wrote:
Is it possible to position the camper so the screen room is in the area from the kitchen slide to the front of the camper?

I was assuming the screen enclosure was attached to the awning.
If that's the case then there would some room where you suggest but its limited . As I look at the pics of that TT, the forward awning arm stops before the bedroom window and the space from that arm to the slideout appears to be limited, that's where you have the most width of deck space under an attached screen room.

If someone built a Tiki bar attached to the outside slide wall, then after a short amount of time who would care if there was a slide in the way or a screen enclosure for that matter . ๐Ÿ˜‰ :C

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to position the camper so the screen room is in the area from the kitchen slide to the front of the camper?
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my first post, the link Dutchmen 3100 shows interior pics of the TT as well the floorplan.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
ScottG wrote:
It's often a bad idea to stand in a slide that's in.
I damaged our last TT that way.

I found a floor plan of the OP's model under question. It looks like there is no room to actually stand ON the slide out, as the slide out takes up the entire depth of the slide. With slide in, there will not be any danger of actually standing on it.

But, this camper has an island, which will make kitchen usage very restricted. Considering the kitchen sink is in the island, I don't think removing the island is an option.

I think the OP will need to use this camper with the kitchen slide OUT!

The layout looks identical to our Surveyor - the kitchen will be very difficult to use with the slide in.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
ScottG wrote:

I found a floor plan of the OP's model under question. It looks like there is no room to actually stand ON the slide out, as the slide out takes up the entire depth of the slide. With slide in, there will not be any danger of actually standing on it.

But, this camper has an island, which will make kitchen usage very restricted. Considering the kitchen sink is in the island, I don't think removing the island is an option.

X2 - the OP has not seen the TT so his question makes sense to me, now that DS provided a picture of the floorplan.

The slideout will be in contact with the island when in, making the kitchen unusable. Looks like a nice floorplan - I'd deal with the encroachment into your screen room.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
O.K., you haven't seen it and can't ask. I just wanted to be sure there wasn't another issue that I wasn't understanding. Thanks for clearing that up for me ๐Ÿ™‚
Yes, it would be best to leave the slide deployed on the site, that's what I did. With kitchen slides you have to be careful you do not crimp appliance lines with the slide movement.

Being a seasonal for 17 years, I was not comfortable leaving the awning out while I was not there. I saw too many neighbors awnings rip off RV's in storms while people were not there to roll them in. That included tree branches falling on deployed awnings where the awning suffered damage as well as the TT. If the awnings were in, the trees would have missed them entirely. It amazed me as to how much damage an awning can do to an RV when one gets ripped off it. I have a lot of experience covering trailers with large tarps for my neighbors.

I have never used an enclosure . Will you be able to use your screen enclosure with the new awning ? Does awning size matter ? That is a sizable deep slide and I can see why it would intrude on your space under the awning and why you are concerned about that.

If it's a clean tight TT with a floor plan that works for you, it might be time to use a separate screen house.
When I was a seasonal I extended my deck to accommodate a separate screen room in a location away from rain water draining off the awning at the same time butting the awning right up the screen house. I did leave the screen house up all season because it was not attached to the TT to damage it during a storm. However, I never left the TT unattended for long periods with the awning out.

Good luck, I hope it all works in your favor.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If there is no island in the middle of the floor and if it clears all cabinets, then you are probably OK using the kitchen. Taking an egg from the refrigerator to the stove top is not adding more weight to the slide out. If the kitchen was too much of a load for the slide out, there would never have been a kitchen in it at all. The only thing you need to watch for is the edge of the sliding floor that you don't trip over it or stand directly on the edge. No reason why the kitchen could not be used with slide in, as long as nothing is blocked.

bnkrtstk
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen the trailer yet in person, and my SIL is out of town and cell range for the week. I will know more this weekend. Once out, the slides would likely be out most of the season.

Thanks for the reply.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really don't understand your question . Have you ever seen the trailer ? I would think your SIL would know the answer.

If its an island kitchen I would think there is limited space with the slide 'in' to open the fridge.

Looking the pics of it
Dutchmen 3100 it appears to be about a 30" deep slide. If it were 'in' 30" do you think you could fit between the island sink and the fridge ? Doesn't seem like a lot of room but I'm only looking at a pic.

Just in case this is a thought :
One thing I would not do is, move that slide in and out on a regular basis so you can utilize the screen room.
Too many moving appliance parts to flex and wear going in and out plus the fact that those inexpensive slide motors will not last as long doing that.