cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New shocks!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Installed some new Bilstein 4600's over the weekend. G*d, I wish I'd done this several years ago. What a difference! Even the DW noticed. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
14 REPLIES 14

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
N-Trouble wrote:
Dave and Sue wrote:
Drop the air pressure down on the rear tires. Check your tire sticker on the door panel.My dually say down to 40 unloaded and 65 loaded.Makes a world of difference in my trucks ride.

Agree tire pressure makes a big difference. Unfortunately on a lot of these trucks it will setoff the TPMS. I had my dealer reprogram mine

Methinks the TPMS =should= match the placard...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Dave and Sue wrote:
Drop the air pressure down on the rear tires. Check your tire sticker on the door panel.My dually say down to 40 unloaded and 65 loaded.Makes a world of difference in my trucks ride.

Agree tire pressure makes a big difference. Unfortunately on a lot of these trucks it will setoff the TPMS. I had my dealer reprogram mine
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
On a 3500, I feel like the Bilstiens do feel better when driving unloaded than my adjustable Ranchos.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I guess I've been driving trucks =way= too long, then. I =expect= a stiff ride from a pickup. If I wanted a soft ride with a "bed", I'd drive an El Camino. :B 'Course I wouldn't be able to tow my FW...or much else.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
I just put Bilstein 5100s on my 2013 GMC 2500HD and wish that I didn't! It's fine when the 5th wheel is hooked up but rides terrible when empty. I need a kidney belt to ride in it now.

If youโ€™ve been riding around on blown out factory shocks ANY shock is going to feel firm.

My truck had 52k miles on the original shocks. Since I bought the truck to tow my new FW, I thought new shocks would would improve the ride when towing. I had no idea it would be so stiff until I drove my son-in-laws new 2500HD...no comparison. The Bilsteins are way too stiff. I'm on the verge of taking them off and installing OEM shocks.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
I just put Bilstein 5100s on my 2013 GMC 2500HD and wish that I didn't! It's fine when the 5th wheel is hooked up but rides terrible when empty. I need a kidney belt to ride in it now.

If youโ€™ve been riding around on blown out factory shocks ANY shock is going to feel firm.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
but rides terrible when empty. I need a kidney belt to ride in it now.

I'll bet that you read all the glowing reports about how great things are after installing Bilsteins, I know that I bought into the BS. If I had it to do over again, the stock shocks would still be installed. Yes, there was some improvement in handling, but on a road with broken concrete the wheels will not respond fast enough to follow the pavement.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
IBcarguy wrote:

Dunno what to tell ya. I'd been recommended Ranchos, but all the ones that were recommended were adjustable and I hated the thought of having to crawl under my truck every time I wanted to change from daily to towing. If I was 30 again...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
laknox wrote:
MFL wrote:
Good for you Lyle!! It sure doesn't hurt to upgrade the current truck, to make it ride and TOW better too!

Jerry

Actually, it =does= hurt...ME! Man, I'm sore! :B I haven't done shocks myself, in probably 30 years and I can tell you that I would cheerfully coldcock the idiots who decided that nuts and bolts need to be standard on one end and metric on the other. :M

Lyle

Ha!!! Did I not just read how spry you are at almost 61, in another thread. Me thinks you better be watching for sales on step stools.

Jerry

Spry is for going =up=, not crawling around underneath stuff. :B Actually, I'm surprised how sore my neck is from having to hold my head up off the creeper. Father's day is coming up and I'm hinting real hard for a new one that has the inclining bed. :B Elbows and knees sure don't have the padding they used to, either; they're =tender=!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
laknox wrote:
MFL wrote:
Good for you Lyle!! It sure doesn't hurt to upgrade the current truck, to make it ride and TOW better too!

Jerry

Actually, it =does= hurt...ME! Man, I'm sore! :B I haven't done shocks myself, in probably 30 years and I can tell you that I would cheerfully coldcock the idiots who decided that nuts and bolts need to be standard on one end and metric on the other. :M

Lyle

Ha!!! Did I not just read how spry you are at almost 61, in another thread. Me thinks you better be watching for sales on step stools.

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:

Jerry

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry