cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsizing. Thoughts on SportTrek Touring 343 VIK

Iceman31
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to downsize our Fifth Wheel to a Travel Trailer. Will be kidless next year. Our daughter will use our tent trailer at our seasonal for the remaining time she is at home. Any thoughts on the SportTrek line of trailers? We love our FW but have been talking about downsizing to a couples trailer. This weekend we had something go wrong with our grey tank and it will likely be an insurance fix. Figured now would be as good as time as any to trade down. Looking at the 343 VIK. Thanks for your responses.
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Express Night Edition
2018 Venture RV Sporttrek 343VIK
2017 Hyundai Tuscon SE AWD
2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited
2014 Chevrolet Camaro LS1
2004 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
2011 Crestliner Superhawk c/w 115HP Mercury
2012 Honda CBR250
8 REPLIES 8

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did that too, went from a 4-bunk model, to a "Garden Bath" model. DW was insistent on "downsizing", we went from 34' to 33' LOL.

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just picked up our new SportTrek 290VIK (similar to the 343VIK) two weeks ago and so far we are really happy. We also wanted more of a couple's unit since the kids rarely grace us with their company. Only 3 things I wasn't crazy about but all really minor.

The mounting of the wires / ground up near battery box is right in the way of my WDH snap up brackets so I have to move it. The bathroom (same as 343) literally has no good place to mount TP roller. The fixed TV antenna doesn't work as good as the old one on my Coachmen (which could be rotated) but my wife says 'we don't go camping to watch TV' 🙂

Probably our favorite feature is all the storage, we have cabinets which are empty, nice problem to have 😉
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a 2018 Jayco White RL, and really enjoy it. If your not in need of the bunk bed option it’s a good floor plan. For the size the GVW is pretty low.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Iceman31
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you are right. Not really downsizing if we are only shorter by 3 feet. I guess it is more of a floorplan change to a non bunk unit. I have a bunk room that takes up lots of space in my Sabre. My daughter uses it sparingly. So I guess we are looking for more comfort in a living area vs what we have now.
2012 Honda CBR250

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is going from a 38' 5er tp a 38' TT downsizing? If you don't tow it anywhere why downsize at all?

Iceman31
Explorer
Explorer
We are seasonal site campers. Won’t be towing the trailer anywhere.
2012 Honda CBR250

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are also shopping for a new rig that is more suited for couples as are kids are grown and too busy with college and/or work. We have walked through a few of the Sport Trek Touring TTs at various RV shows and they are pretty nice overall, but there are aspects of their construction and their extremely low CCC that keeps them off our final shortlist.

You mentioned downsizing and it is lighter, but at roughly 38' and now being towed behind your truck, it will be as long if not a longer towing combo then your previous rig. From their website it states a UVW of 8700# with a GVWR of 9995#, dryweight is always understated from the factory and with so little margin left, actual CCC could fall below 1K# with batteries and propane.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My wife really liked the Sporttrek brand. They offer a lot of clever designs and features. I do not like the small tanks.

The 343VIK is a very long and heavy TT. As long as you've got the HD truck to tow it, great!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)