cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report - Late March to Early May Trip

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
We recently took our first long road trip as new retirees. Left NYS in late March, headed south, spent time in North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee (mostly) before heading back home in early May.

If you'd like a full trip report, it's on our blog starting here.

If you'd like to start at the Disaster Day, start here.

Enjoy!

I'd love your comments, either on the blog or here.

Thanks for reading.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
10 REPLIES 10

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
stvdman wrote:
Any idea on why there was a fire in the first place?

Great question! I've asked it a million times in the past three weeks. The insurance company brought in a fire investigator, but I haven't seen his report. I don't want to speculate. It looks to have been an electrical issue.

-Speak

Its pretty scary to have your tow rig "unexpectedly catch fire", especially not knowing why. would certainly be interesting to know

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:

Great question! I've asked it a million times in the past three weeks. The insurance company brought in a fire investigator, but I haven't seen his report. I don't want to speculate. It looks to have been an electrical issue.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
wow on disaster day, who would have ever thought that would go down like it did??

So happy all are safe and your friends coming over for support etc was nice to read! good friends!!

Yes. We hadn't seen these friends in years. It was all set up to see them on that day. Cyndi had taken the day off for us. You discover the depths of a friendship through things like this. I hope I'd be the same type of friend.

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Thank the Lord for your deliverance from danger and good friends!

You've got that right! And that's exactly what we've been doing. Its been almost three weeks since the fire, and we're almost completely "whole" again in terms of replacing the things lost. Erie Insurance has been GREAT too.

-Speak

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
wow on disaster day, who would have ever thought that would go down like it did??

So happy all are safe and your friends coming over for support etc was nice to read! good friends!!

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Thank the Lord for your deliverance from danger and good friends!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Holly Molly!!! and to think people are worried about rattle snakes. Glad it didn't take off and you guys are ok.

You said it! There are all sorts of things we could worry about, but it turns out to be something we never even considered that actually posed us the closest danger.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Speak

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Holly Molly!!! and to think people are worried about rattle snakes. Glad it didn't take off and you guys are ok.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Indeed...very fortunate that the โ€œdisasterโ€ was โ€œno worseโ€ than it was. May this be the worst that you will experience in your rvโ€™ing. Wishing you many happy years in your retirement! ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl