cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROJECT UPDATE Atwood Levelegs Controller location?

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know where Newmar might of mounted the Atwood Levelegs Controller in a 2008 KSDP 3916?

It is not where the Magnum Invertor/Converter is as I thought it would be.

Crawled though entire basement on my back and sides and can't seem to locate it, looked in all the bays too...least I think I looked fairly thoroughly.

Thanks in advance.

Todd
'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'17 F250 Diesel Platty SRW Crew 6.75' bed
'17 JKU Rubicon Recon, LoD flat towable Destroyer bumper.
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, Ranger EV
21 REPLIES 21

KraftCrew
Explorer
Explorer
Did the wire termninations from the old Atwood controller simple transfer over to the new Gama control switch? Were any other wiring modifications needed?

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
Update
Finally got together today with my electrician buddy.
Spliced out the old Atwood controller and spliced in the two GAMA 12V GAMA remote control switches.
Couldn’t have turned out better.
Fully functioning air bags with touch of up or down button on RC.
Fully functioning levelegs - just that now I need to level it manually if you will. And remember to put em up before driving away.

Chose to mount them with self tapping screws overhead where the prior Atwood controller was located.

May install a 30a switch/breaker to the location where the old control pad was which would control any power going to the air dump
Switch and Leveleg 4 Ch switch so the air dump switch or legs can’t be activated accidentally by a “stray” RC signal. Probably overkill.

djedgar
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone replacing their level legs would be interested in donating or selling the "legs" to use to use as spare parts to keep ours working, I'd sure appreciate an email message: gofwest2017@gmail.com

My husband has rebuild the legs with parts received in earlier years from Atwood. We've tried to have replacement parts made, but so far we have not been successful. With talk of people changing the systems, we'd love to recover usable parts.
07 Newmar Ventana 3330
02 Honda Sabre
02 Kawa Vulcan Nomad
48 MG TC

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
eadeal55 wrote:
The touchpad on my Atwood Levelegs quit working. I had an electronics shop check it, but they were unable to get it working. Since the part was obsolete, I looked around for a used pad, but was never able to get one for a price I was willing to pay (most were $500+ used, with little to no warranty).

By chance, I'm sitting in a friend's 2008 Tiffin Phaeton, and he had the same electric Atwood Leveleg system, and his touchpad was also broken. He called down to Red Bay and talked to a service rep, and sure enough, Tiffin had those obsolete can't find anywhere touchpads in stock. $119 shipped. He ordered one and when it came in and worked, he ordered another and I paid him for it. Finally, after 2+ years my jacks worked...for about 10 months.

Recently, my jacks go down and when all make contact, the driver's front alarms and locks up the system. I had to unplug the jack motor, spin the manual retract nut, re-connect power to the jack, and hit retract all, and hope they all do. Pretty much back to using the orange level blocks till I have the time and $$$ to have someone look at it.

Maybe Tiffin has new jacks in stock??

The NEW style Atwood jacks will work for the old system. You just don't connect the 2 wire sensor plug on the new jack when replacing. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
I see this question often. That keypad on yoru dash.. That's the controller

Now there is a sensor box it is most likely in your basement but may be under the RV. Take a ball of twine tie it to the right front jack and then run it around the left rear, across to the right rear than to the left front (NOTE you can start at any corner)

Where the strings cross.. X marks the most likely spot.

This post is all wrong. The touchpad is NOT the controller. Doug

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
The touchpad on my Atwood Levelegs quit working. I had an electronics shop check it, but they were unable to get it working. Since the part was obsolete, I looked around for a used pad, but was never able to get one for a price I was willing to pay (most were $500+ used, with little to no warranty).

By chance, I'm sitting in a friend's 2008 Tiffin Phaeton, and he had the same electric Atwood Leveleg system, and his touchpad was also broken. He called down to Red Bay and talked to a service rep, and sure enough, Tiffin had those obsolete can't find anywhere touchpads in stock. $119 shipped. He ordered one and when it came in and worked, he ordered another and I paid him for it. Finally, after 2+ years my jacks worked...for about 10 months.

Recently, my jacks go down and when all make contact, the driver's front alarms and locks up the system. I had to unplug the jack motor, spin the manual retract nut, re-connect power to the jack, and hit retract all, and hope they all do. Pretty much back to using the orange level blocks till I have the time and $$$ to have someone look at it.

Maybe Tiffin has new jacks in stock??
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see this question often. That keypad on yoru dash.. That's the controller

Now there is a sensor box it is most likely in your basement but may be under the RV. Take a ball of twine tie it to the right front jack and then run it around the left rear, across to the right rear than to the left front (NOTE you can start at any corner)

Where the strings cross.. X marks the most likely spot.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
Update:
Attempt at relay post melt out and solder sucking failed miserablly.
Inadvertantly snapped off another connection that we cannot repair.
So, plan B.
Manual Level GAMA 4 channel RF remote switch install next.
Will attempt to wire in a temporary air dump switch as well.
Well, my electrician buddy will that is...this is above my pay grade.

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
Update.

My electrician buddy wants to test and likely try to replace all the NEC relays in the controller first.
Then we will test it.
If efforts fail then will go to the manual switch swapout via GAMA devices.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
imgoin4it wrote:
I’m replacing my Atwood level legs with HWH jacks. I’ve talked to Atwood and they have service centers with trained techs that can install the new system. Basically uses same wiring and adds some , but everything else is new and different
Manager of one service center told me they could change mine (can’t remember the amount of the high cost he quoted me) I asked if he could install new HWH and if so about how much. He said about a $1000 more than Atwood’s. I ask his opinion are they worth a thousand dollars more. His answer “definitely”. Anyway, I plan on getting replacement leveling system from HWH and it ain’t cheap but I think they are just about “bullet proof”.

The difference between the "old" Atwood and New Atwood is, the old jacks just had 2 wires going to each jack for the motor. The New Jacks have 4 wires. 2 for the motor and 2 for the sensor on the jack as the OLD jacks did not have the sensor. So, that means you have to install 4 new jacks and the wire Harness and then a new control board and touchpad. The New Jacks bolt direct to the old Jack mounts, so that keeps the labor cost down. Doug

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I’m replacing my Atwood level legs with HWH jacks. I’ve talked to Atwood and they have service centers with trained techs that can install the new system. Basically uses same wiring and adds some , but everything else is new and different
Manager of one service center told me they could change mine (can’t remember the amount of the high cost he quoted me) I asked if he could install new HWH and if so about how much. He said about a $1000 more than Atwood’s. I ask his opinion are they worth a thousand dollars more. His answer “definitely”. Anyway, I plan on getting replacement leveling system from HWH and it ain’t cheap but I think they are just about “bullet proof”.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Should be mounted in the front outside drivers side Storage in front of the LF tire on the Ceiling of the storage compartment. Hopefully you do not need a new controller as LCI/Atwood no longer have them. Doug

Thanks Doug.
Is there indeed.

SpurHntr
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
For what it's worth, we had Tiffin upgrade our system to the new one three years ago for about 2,300 including labor. However, I don't believe any of the Atwood Levelegs components are available from Lippert anymore, new or old systems - they have completely quit supporting them.

yeah, my local dealer prices are insane.
for 2 chassis batteries and 4 house batteries wanted $1800.
I just did them today myself for $700, replacing them with exactly the same size and CCC/Ah rated batteries.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, we had Tiffin upgrade our system to the new one three years ago for about 2,300 including labor. However, I don't believe any of the Atwood Levelegs components are available from Lippert anymore, new or old systems - they have completely quit supporting them.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams