cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to clean toilet with

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
We were very active In our Good Sam chapter before we retired. We even full-timed for 3 years after we retired. We learned a lot from our meetings about caring for an RV, but since 2006 when we for rid of our motor home, I’ve forgotten a lot.

My question is what do you use to clean your toilet? I remember learning not to use anything with pine oil, but I don’t remember exactly what we did use. I also remember that we need to be careful and not mess with the working of the black water tank so we can’t use just any and everything.
15 REPLIES 15

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use a little Dawn Dish Liquid and toilet paper, then flush the TP down the drain..Works for me
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a porta potty for tent camping. I use the Thetford brand cleaner for it and the Thetford toilet in the TT. If I run out of it I use Soft Scrub with bleach.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I just swish the happy camper powder around with a brush when I add it, cleans it right up without scratches.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ila123 wrote:
Thank you. Your responses have been very helpful. Since we are on a septic system at home, then apparently I can use anything in the RV that is safe for our system.. That’s exactly what I wanted to know.

We use the camper at home 100 percent of the time as we drive-way camp every day until weather gets too cold to reasonably heat the camper. I dump our tanks into our septic system also. And you are correct here, anything you use in your house is OK to use in your camper. This is true not only for the toilet, but cleaning the shower, floors, windows, walls, everything. Really, there's nothing THAT extra ordinary built into an RV or materials used in an RV that normal, every day, common household items are perfectly OK to use in an RV.

The only exception is bleach. If you let bleach sit long enough on anything, it will permanently bleach the color. But that is true inside your house too. With bleach, you just need to rinse it more thorough when using bleach on rubber and plastics, same as your house.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
...........dup post, deleted........

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I use the same toilet cleaning chems I use in the house. No reason not to.
THIS! for us 🙂 OP, I would not use anything oily or thick in my black tank. We want lighter, easy flush out of tank type of cleaner in there.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chemically Most any toilet bowl cleaner same As I'd use at home. I never used Pine Oil to clean a toilet.

Tools: They now make a bunch of "Toilet cleaning wand" things where you snap a head on the end of the wand, and the head contains cleaner and something like a wash cloth.. When done you push the release button and flush the head.

DO NOT USE THESE

Otehr than that. No recommendation .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ila123
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Your responses have been very helpful. Since we are on a septic system at home, then apparently I can use anything in the RV that is safe for our system.. That’s exactly what I wanted to know.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Water :S

Did I win?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Scrubbing Bubbles, for the shower, toilet, sink, counter, etc.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Toilet brush and water. If it needs more, I use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I use the same toilet cleaning chems I use in the house. No reason not to.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I use a squirt of dish soap and a paper towel.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I use Chlorox spray. Spray it on, let it sit, rinse and wipe dry using paper towels.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)