cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Before you get an insurance quote from Hartford, STOP! ...

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
As many others do, I am reviewing my insurance coverage and costs, and getting a few quotes. I was about to make my decision, then read that a forum member got what he said was a very good rate on his class A, from Hartford. In fact, he said he joined AARP just to get that insurance, and with a nice discount.

I decided to get a quote from them, as we already have AARP medicare supplemental ins. Went to the Hartford webside, and began the process for an on-line quote. 6 or so pages of forms, gathering lots of personal information. At the end of the last form, they provide a button to see their quote, and when I clicked it, a pop-up message says they "cannot provide a quote based on the information provided".

Next morning, I called them, and told the lady I am puzzled, as I completed all of the info, and know I have clean driving record, etc, etc. She said I see the problem: you don't have any other insurance with us. I said no, but they never asked that question, or stated anywhere that it was a requirment. I asked for a supervisor.

David came on the phone, and I told him I don't want my personal info to be collected by a company that had no intention of providing a quote, since I did not meet their requirements, and I want my info purged from their system. He said he would talk ti IT dept, and get back to me.

He called back yesterday, and said due to company policy, no information collected from applicants can be deleted, and furthermore, that information will also be shared. I let him know that if they have a policy of not offering RV insurance unless you already have auto insurance with them, that should be the first question asked on the form. This practice is deceptive.

If you agree, let Hartford hear from you. The CEO is Christopher Swift, Hartford Consumer Affairs, 1 Hartford Plaza, H01-19-3, Hartford, Ct 06115. I don't have a phone number or email address for Mr. Swift. Maybe someone here can provide it?
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State
21 REPLIES 21

crouseman41
Explorer
Explorer
I also did an online quote for two cars and a motorhome with AARP, only to find out (in our state at least) the maximum they will write for property damage is $100,000. We carry an umbrella policy anyway, but that shortfall in property damage coverage negated any savings. Wasted 30 minutes I won't get back.
Dale & paulette Crouse

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if those having trouble are applying in the correct AARP/Hartford page or not. You do have to be a member of AARP to get that insurance. The link is https://www.thehartford.com/aarp/rv-insurance. We have had that coverage for three years now.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
It's interesting, apparently they don't know if the insure motor homes either. When I was shopping for mine, they said no. So I got a policy with Safeco. When I called to cancel the old stuff, they wanted to insure the replacement, and I said I thought you didn't write motor homes, the CSR said oh, that's right. After reading all of this I asked them on line to clarify and they told me I would have to apply to find out. Strange business model.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Looking at the "Clicky" site and talking with people I conclude they insure rv's. Using the term RV to cover towables, not motor homes. Towables are covered under the tow vehicles policy. This however is only my assessment, I don't speak for them.

Well when I clicked RV on their website, I was offered a drop-down list of manufacturers, and I chose "Itasca". Also selected from DD's, the model and year, so they insure self-contained RV's, not just towables.
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Dance Chick wrote:
We have our MH insured with Hartford, and cars are NOT with Hartford. As said above, it must differ by state. I also did an insurance check up last fall, and they remained the best deal for us. But, I did not get an online quote. We've also had a sizable claim with them, and they were great to work with.

+1 - just renewed for the third year.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I learned a long time ago that AARP has morphed into an insurance agency, and they are not consumer friendly. Hartford is in bed with AARP, and likewise not consumer friendly.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We used to be covered by The Hartford. Car, truck, motorhome, house, all Hartford. Once, when I went to pay the premium, I asked about the AARP discount, and should I join AARP to get it. The agent looked it up, and found that the AARP policy would cost me more than I was presently paying, for the same coverage. Needless to say, that put a stop to that idea!
Then, a year or so later, I got a letter from The Hartford advising me that they were pulling out of Montana, and my policies would end.
I do not know and do not care if they really pulled out of the state.
Everything is now insured by Safeco.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The OPs clicks is for car insurance.
This one is for RVs

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
We have our MH insured with Hartford, and cars are NOT with Hartford. As said above, it must differ by state. I also did an insurance check up last fall, and they remained the best deal for us. But, I did not get an online quote. We've also had a sizable claim with them, and they were great to work with.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
I too have my insurance with Hartford. Competitively priced and great coverage.
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
and the plot thickens........
Bob & Lynn

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Interesting. I do have my auto policy with them, and they told me that they don't write Motor homes. Confirmed this when I cancelled my 5th wheel and truck. Ended up with Safeco.

More interesting, we have our MH insured with Hartford. Perhaps it varies by state.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the "Clicky" site and talking with people I conclude they insure rv's. Using the term RV to cover towables, not motor homes. Towables are covered under the tow vehicles policy. This however is only my assessment, I don't speak for them.
Bob & Lynn

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
If you feel that strongly about it; you might want to contact your state insurance commissioner regarding deceptive advertising.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad