cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

COFFEE POT ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a bigger old school coffee percolator. The blue porcelin type with the glass viewing top. If I only want to make one cup the percolator will lift off the bottom of the pot as there is not enough water weight to hold it down. So I believe if I place some washers or a large nut on the percolator shaft it will work. My question is what kind of material should I use to be safe?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
20 REPLIES 20

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I got plenty of lead in my body when I got shot.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smaller pot. Percolators in particular are designed to do full pots, much less than that they might "burn" the coffee. For small volumes of coffee, I prefer drip or filter solutions. While they might use more coffee because it is only one time through, the coffee is never reheated to boiling and the result is consistent. My wife liked Melita, brother in law likes French press.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
K_and_I wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

A 24-hour pee collection test is good to do also.

You can hold it for 24 hours??? :B

Was the most difficult test I've ever taken... :W
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
Is the pot steel or aluminum?

If steel, go guy a handful of magnets and experiment with sticking them around the OUTSIDE until it's well balanced and of the weight you desire. Rare Earth Magnets are really strong.

If aluminum you could super glue some small decorative metal pieces to the outside. This might be a great way,

Personalize it and make it very unique and a conversation piece.

Magnets and heat don't always mix effectively; permanent magnets can be demagnetized by heat. The heat performance of rare earth magnets varies with their composition and grade, but some can start to have permanent effects above 80 C, below coffee making temperatures and well below gas burner temperatures.

Metals also lose their magnetic attraction quite suddenly above some temperature (the Curie point), but aren't likely to get anywhere near that making coffee. This property has some interesting applications for temperature control, in fact; typical inexpensive rice cookers know when to shut off based on the phenomenon, detecting the temperature rise when the excess water has boiled away. Metcal soldering irons also used a very clever application of the effect to maintain the proper temperature effectively and permanent calibration.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

You can hold it for 24 hours??? :B
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Is the pot steel or aluminum?

If steel, go guy a handful of magnets and experiment with sticking them around the OUTSIDE until it's well balanced and of the weight you desire. Rare Earth Magnets are really strong.

If aluminum you could super glue some small decorative metal pieces to the outside. This might be a great way,

Personalize it and make it very unique and a conversation piece.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Just dont drink coffee easy cheap fix:B

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I will try stainless. Thanks. Sure a smaller pot would be alright but storage really is that limited in my rig. Just seems a larger pot should do smaller amounts. If the neck of the percolator was longer it would rest on the top. Problem solved. Poor engineering IMHO Thanks again
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:

If you do this, be careful which model you buy. I've read that some Keurigs would only take genuine K cups, and there goes the fresh grind.

I was browsing thru my Drs. copy of Coffee Affectionado IIRC and it didn't like Keurigs, the way they made coffee, not hot enough water and a couple of other complaints. I'd get one but you can't get half/caf pods, but could fill my own but this post scares me. how can you tell?
bumpy

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
My Cuisinart grind and brew coffee maker is only drawing power for about five minutes then it pours up into a thermos carafe that keeps the coffee hot for a pretty long period of time...

We camp alot off grid using the batteries so having a short time using power is important for us....

I have never looked into those K-CUPS coffee makers but they sure are popular in the various stores like WALMART... Since we have our favorite fresh ground bean coffee taste I guess we could grind our coffee beans using the MR COFFEE grinder and get to use the K-CUPs for almost instant coffee when we want it...

Probably should look into those since they seem to every where you look in the various stores.

My Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee maker does just fine for us camping off grid like we do...

Roy Ken

If you do this, be careful which model you buy. I've read that some Keurigs would only take genuine K cups, and there goes the fresh grind.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Cuisinart grind and brew coffee maker is only drawing power for about five minutes then it pours up into a thermos carafe that keeps the coffee hot for a pretty long period of time...

We camp alot off grid using the batteries so having a short time using power is important for us....

I have never looked into those K-CUPS coffee makers but they sure are popular in the various stores like WALMART... Since we have our favorite fresh ground bean coffee taste I guess we could grind our coffee beans using the MR COFFEE grinder and get to use the K-CUPs for almost instant coffee when we want it...

Probably should look into those since they seem to every where you look in the various stores.

My Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee maker does just fine for us camping off grid like we do...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
How about lead ???
lol
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerseyjim wrote:
Simple: get a smaller pot. Or fill the one you have up and reheat as needed. Reheated ain't that bad.......

X2 We used a smaller pot, filled a carafe and made a second pot if we had guests. To answer your question stainless is the only safe way to go.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
If you use an iron washer, you won't have to ever take an iron pill again. You'll get all the iron out of that washer, probably more and better than an iron pill!

If you use a magnesium washer you can skip that daily vitamin too.

If you use a copper washer, well... skip that vitamin too. You won't need it.

Now, if you use all 3 washers together, you can just skip your one-a-day multi vitamins all together! And probably get better minerals in your system.
Of course... calcium will come from the water itself, if you are not using filtered or distilled water that is.

That's my 2 cents!

Seems funny America has become a nation of pill poppers. We had steel pipes in our home and that was replaced with galvanized. Galvanized was replaced with copper. Copper was replaced with PVC. PVC is replaced with plastic Pex. So we removed all the places we get those vitamins and minerals naturally, and replace that by popping pills. Then we wonder why we get cancer!

For most people, their diet provides all the vitamins they need. Before starting a vitamin regime one should see their doctor and have a simple blood test to check their vitamin/mineral levels. Only if the blood test is low should they take supplements.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)