Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Could be a bad wildfire season

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Utah and area

Look at that map, northern NM, AZ and southwest CO and southeast Utah could be in trouble. We were out there when they had a lot of wildfires five or 6 years ago and the smoke is awful. Of course the people who life there are most affected but campers should probably look elsewhere that year.

At least keep alert to the current situation before you head out there.

God willing they'll get enough precipitation to prevent this soon.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
9 REPLIES 9

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
At least there is a ban on campfires and outdoor smoking in most parks in these areas. But there is nothing to prevent lightning-caused fires but a hope that substantial rain will follow.

I was in Alaska in 2015, their worst fire season on record. The smoke was everywhere and obscured much of the spectacular scenery.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am not talking local fire services. I am dealing more with Forest Service, BLM and national park fires,
Our rural fire system is very good here. Some of the rigs are at fire fighters home for quicker response. They have small assault trucks but have numerous large brush trucks.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
We have had a couple of small fires here already.
The Federal government(Dept of Interior) is changing our aerial tanker contracts. The plan is to not have tankers on standby, but call them to locations when needed, approximately 48 hours. Old contract had them stationed here on 24 hour and day call.

More stupid decisions by those in charge of Washington fire services.

I'm a retired California state firefighter and have lived in Washington for 4 years now.
The failure to see that big fires are the new norm here and lack of cooperation between the different agencies and lack of statewide mutual aid simply blows my mind.

The DW's cousin is a full time firefighter for Snohomish county and they had no wildland gear and clothing to go on a strike team.
In California, even in big city fire departments, like San Francisco, everyone has wildland gear and training so they can respond as mutual aid for large wildland fires.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Drought map, compliments of UNL.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have had a couple of small fires here already.
The Federal government(Dept of Interior) is changing our aerial tanker contracts. The plan is to not have tankers on standby, but call them to locations when needed, approximately 48 hours. Old contract had them stationed here on 24 hour and day call.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The sky is falling?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I have some property in SW Colorado in Montezuma county fire ban went into effect 4/16. The last few years they have had one in place but not that early. La Plata county (Durango area) has stage one fire restrictions as of May 1 as well. As does the San Juan National forest. I wouldn't plan on any campfires in SW Colorado this summer
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
And Florida will get hurricanes and it will snow in the mountains too!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Four Corners region is in a bad drought.
I am a retired forester and megafires are going to continue since we have practiced fire suppression for 125 years and have greatly reduced harvesting on public lands since 1991. Mismanagement is main cause, not global warming or any of 40 other reasons people come up with.