cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore power and inverter on together?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We just had a few quick in succession brief power outages where we are parked. It caused the tv and sat to go out and have to reset each time. It got me to wondering if putting on the inverter with shore power plugged in would act as a backup power since the TV and sat both run on inverter powered outlets?

It seems to me that when the shore power goes out the transfer switch would allow the inverter to keep the power flowing from the inverter. Right or wrong?
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
18 REPLIES 18

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
It can take time to reboot, especially a satellite to get a signal after interruption.

Are you sure when the tv came back on it was on inverter power vs the EMS allowing utility power again?

Depending on how your inverter is wired you could just cut utility power when voltage is running low and run full time on inverter. If it just runs some outlets you can probably turn off the breaker that feeds that branch circuit. This will avoid the reboot.

Actually I think what happened is that the inverter kept the dvr powered and only the tv rebooted because there was no dvr reboot, signal seeking, etc as is usual. The picture just reappeared again on the tv. It seems as though the tv was on the shore power all along and came back on when the surge protector restored power. Strange, since I have run the tv, dvr, and satelitte all on inverter before.

It appears that having the inverter on all the time does prevent dvr reboots so it is worth have in even if the tv goes off

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My PI EMS has 2 different delay settings before shore power is connected. My ATS has a delay that is used when switching to the gen. My inverter ATS has a few millisecond delay also.

All 3 of the above use relays and by design they are of course break the prior power connection before connecting to the new power connection. Therefore a few millisecond delay plus any built in delay.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can take time to reboot, especially a satellite to get a signal after interruption.

Are you sure when the tv came back on it was on inverter power vs the EMS allowing utility power again?

Depending on how your inverter is wired you could just cut utility power when voltage is running low and run full time on inverter. If it just runs some outlets you can probably turn off the breaker that feeds that branch circuit. This will avoid the reboot.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
My original question has now been answered by recent events. We have had two brief power interruptions in the past day with the inverter on. Both times the tv and dvr shut off and power returned in a few minutes. Looking at our voltage monitor revealed the park voltage was dropping too low and our surge protector did itโ€™s job and shut power off. The inverter did not pick up the load quick enough to prevent the units from shutting off.

The one thing that puzzles me about that is why it took a few minutes for both the tv and the dvr to come back on. Seems like they should have come back on faster. I have run the tv and dvr and the satelitte dish many times on these outlets with the inverter and no shore power. must have something to do with the transfer switch/inverter/outlet connections I would guess..

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Since you don't say what inverter you have nobody here knows really what to tell you.
Likley the answer is yes, leave the inverter on and it will act as a UPS. If you have a Magnum, Xantrex, Outback, or something similar it should switch fast enough that your TV and dish won't re-boot.
You should not ever have the inverter output and the shore power hooked to the same outlets but no factory set up would be done that way. Only if a DIY guy hooked something up himself might you have this problem.

We have a Xantrex 1000W installed by Winnebago it powers some outlets but not all.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Since you don't say what inverter you have nobody here knows really what to tell you.
Likley the answer is yes, leave the inverter on and it will act as a UPS. If you have a Magnum, Xantrex, Outback, or something similar it should switch fast enough that your TV and dish won't re-boot.
You should not ever have the inverter output and the shore power hooked to the same outlets but no factory set up would be done that way. Only if a DIY guy hooked something up himself might you have this problem.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Yes you can run the tv etc full time from the inverter regardless of utility power.

X2, we run our entertainment center (HDTV, HD Sat, Bluray gaming console, Bose, and laptops) via 350 watt PS inverter whether plugged into shore power or when RVing off the power grid, keeps our satellite service from rebooting when genny kicks on/off or power momentarily drops from pedestal.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you can run the tv etc full time from the inverter regardless of utility power.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter has been on in our coach 24/7 for the last 11 years except during very minimal maintenance times. That said, we also have installed Uninterrupted Power Supplies (UPS) on each DVR because we have found that the DVRs would reboot about 30% of the time when switching between generator and inverter power especially when the generator started automatically with the auto gen start system. UPS are about $40 to $50 each.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Never allow 110 AC to back feed an inverter thru the inverter 110 AC outlets as all I've seen will smoke for a second if it even takes that long and then you'll get to but a new inverter. Only happened to me once before I learned the hard way.

After that bad experience back in the very early 1990's. When we got back home I went to an electrical supply place locally and bought 3 little enclosed in clear plastic 10 amp DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) relays having 6 little connections lugs that are roughly 1" wide, 1-1/2" long, and about 3/4" thick in size. They can vary in enclosed plastic case size and/or amp capacity as needed or wanted but all do the same task. It's just an auto switching relay and not expensive. Mine cost $10.50 each and have purchased 4 more recently also for other things/uses. The joys of being a retired engineer!

Also a blue shallow electrical box, a standard duplex outlet receptacle, and a plastic 2 outlet receptacle cover to enclose the outlet box, also very cheap at around $3 total. Mount the new box and covered outlet in a hidden location like inside a cabinet or behind a removable access cover or as I do, right next to or near an OEM outlet clearly labeled "110 AC shorepower/inverter ____ amp only"

I use a simple off the shelf 10 amp mini fuse wired on the shore power hot side incoming black wire as the OEM circuit is 15 amp min. After the fuse the wire goes to the relay's solenoid activation lug so the shore power is only going thru to the duplex outlet when the shore power has current because the solenoid had moved the contacts to the shorepower contacts side inside the relay only. When there's no shore power, the contacts instantly move back to the inverter AC powered pass thru relay contacts.

Thus, both power sources cannot be connected at the same time and both can be safely connected to the relay at the same time. You won't even nor can you tell the relay is even there as it auto and instantly switches from shore power to inverter should the shore power fail and back when the shore power comes back on.

I also did this for the RV microwave for shore power/inverter auto switch over AC outlets. Another in the bedroom, in the bathroom vanity also and one in the kitchen slideout for laptop etc use and charging while using. Only limited by your imagination. We always have 110 AC powered outlets inside the RV anytime anywhere as needed without starting the generator and it's so quiet for making coffee and toast etc in the morning even if right next to another RV with people sleeping inside.

It's not a difficult thing to do and works great and is very reliable and so many uses.

Another way is using 3 way switches for an AC outlet. Center is off, down connects power from one source, and up connects power for a different source. Only requires a flip of the switch. isolates both inverter and shore power AC power connected until you flip the switch up or down as desired. Can all be in one square electrical standard box outlet or in separate single box outlets or just adding to an existing duplex outlet area. Must select the power source as it's not auto switching for maybe the real lazy.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two types of inverters for this post.
In-line INverter/chargers adn
Stand alone
Stand alone for TV you can leave them on if you wish, The Converter will keep the batteries up.

In line inverter/chargers will switch to "Standby" when shore power is present so leave 'em on

You may have heard of a device called a UPS (it is not by the way) for Computers.. This is an INLINE type Inverter/converter with a battery inside.

(A true ups consists of 3 modules. A converter. a battery and an INVERTER in series. teh ones you buy at MicroWorld do break power (intrupt) for like 1/60th second or so as whey switch over they are IPS units not UPS but that's technical and you don't need to know that)

FOr many years my TV did not even blink when shore power vanished thanks to my Prosine switching in fast enough .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We use a surge protector at the power pole so I was not greatly concerned about power off surges. It is a wired by factory inverter that powers some outlets, nothing high draw.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
A small inverter for the RV will do what you wish. So would a hybrid inverter/charger, but at a much higher cost.

So would a properly sized UPS (uninterruptible power supply/filter).
I do that at home even.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A small inverter for the RV will do what you wish. So would a hybrid inverter/charger, but at a much higher cost.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.