cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoors RV Eastern Rally (Cook Forest SP. July 20-22)

superslif-cub
Explorer
Explorer
As many may not know, the owners of Outdoors RV and Arctic Fox brand of RV trailers (Sister companies) have set up a Meet Up / Mini Rally here in the eastern part of the country for Fri. July 20-22 2018 in Northwestern PA. This is open to any and all IRV2 members, RV.Net open Roads and Outdoors RV Owners Facebook. ** This is not a company sponsored outing **( you don't need to own a ORV unit, even tent campers as Cook Forest has many great large tent sites. But you are in Bear country )

Both brands of RV's are built in Eastern Oregon where the companies (ORV & Northwood) put on a big yearly rally on the west coast for owners of their brands. We poor Midwest and East coast RV enthusiast who were crazy enough to drive out west to purchase our units are going to set up our own non-company sponsored Mini-Rally open to anyone. Maybe you have always wanted to see just what a AF or ORV unit was like in person but didn't want to drive to a Denver dealership (Closest ORV dealer for east coast people) to see one in person.

Back in Dec. off the ORV Owners Corner Forums ( IRV2.com)section it was thrown out there to have our own rally somewhere in the east. This is a very informal together of IRV2 members and people owning ORV units but open to anyone. The more the better.

We chose Cook Forest State Park located in NW. part of PA. near the Allegheny National Forest. We have concentrated ourselves in two loops. The electric / pet loop ( sites 47 - 83 ) or the electric non-pet loop sites 121 - 151 ) Most of the sites in both loops are large, and for the most part level. the site pads are a fine crushed gravel (very nice). I myself have been going here the last 25 years, so I know just about every site. So if you have a question please PM me. The online reservation site does a picture of the site, but might be hard to tell actually how that campsite is.

The actual dates are only the weekend of Friday July 20 thru Sunday the 22nd. but most people are coming in a few days early. I myself will be there 7 nights.

There are a lot of things to do in the area:

~ First and foremost Cook Forest State Park is known for the largest Hemlock trees east of the Mississippi ( Forest Cathedral hiking area)
~ lots of hiking in the area
~ Children's fishing pond
~ Canoeing kayaking,fishing, rafting, swimming and tubing on the Clarian River
~ Seneca Point / Fire-tower (free)
~ Farmers Inn Restaurant ($$)
~ Kinzua Bridge State Park "Skywalk" (free)
~ Near by Clear Creek State Park Logging Museum (free)

Link to the thread for the rally ORV Rally Friday July 20-22 at Cook Forest State Park in NW. PA.Cook Forest ORV Eastern Rally Friday July 20-22
Jim, Diane & Robert
2018 ORV Timber Ridge 24 rks
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
10 REPLIES 10

superslif-cub
Explorer
Explorer
Bring your hiking boots, and things that float. Rafts, kayaks, inner-tubs.....Nice easy river flowing (Clarion River)to play in. Here are a few older pic galleries off my IRV2 photo section Cook Forest

Cook Forest / Clear Creek State Parks

Older Cook Forest pics
Jim, Diane & Robert
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
superslif-cub wrote:

Have you been to Cook Forest area before?

We have not been to the NW PA area.
My wife and I were born and raised in Gettysburg and I had family who lived near Pittsburgh, but never spent much time there.
Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ

superslif-cub
Explorer
Explorer
Kcfissel wrote:
We're in. Site 83, arriving 19 July.
Looking forward to meeting.

I'll add you to the IRV2 master list in a few weeks when I do the next update.

Have you been to Cook Forest area before?
Jim, Diane & Robert
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
We're in. Site 83, arriving 19 July.
Looking forward to meeting.
Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ

superslif-cub
Explorer
Explorer
Did you hear the Farmers Inn Restaurant burned down last Memorial Day Weekend. They just re-opened April 20th in a new building.
Jim, Diane & Robert
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Cook Forest is just a few miles from our 100 acres of boondocking. my wife grew up just up the road in Leeper. Be sure not to leave any food unattended because the raccoons and bears are tuned in on raiding coolers, etc.

Be sure to check out the Sawmill Center for the Arts in the park.
Sawmill Center
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

superslif-cub
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Black Bird distillery! Free samples ;

Did it / done it....Got's me some Black Cherry Shine. Going back for more...during the rally.

There is a lot to do in the area....been going here for 25 years.

We looked at our first ORV unit ( Timber Ridge ) in WY. while visiting Yellowstone last May. Been looking for 18 months...kicking tires for a higher end RV trailer. 15 minutes after looking at the Timber Ridge 24 rks the wife said "This is the one"... It just so much more "solidly built than a Indiana built units.

Drove 4500 miles round trip last Oct. from Ohio to purchase one in OR.

***** RALLY UPDATE *****

We have reached 12 families

As of May 15th here is the campsite list:

~ Site # 46 Reynolds2 Thur. July 19 thru Mon. the 23rd (pet loop)

~ Site # 78 Santana Thur July 19 thru Mon. the 23rd (pet loop)

~ Site # 82 ModestMonk Thur. July 19th thru Mon. the 23rd (pet loop)

~ Site # 83 Kcfissel Thur July 19 thru Sun. the 22nd (pet loop)

~ Site # 128 Kevin & Jen Tue. July 17th thru Sun. the 22nd (non-pet loop)

~ Site # 129 Superslif Sun. July 15 thru Sun. the 22nd (non-pet loop)

~ Site # 130 mamabuchu Thur. July 19th thru Mon the 23rd (non-pet loop)

~ Site # 131 Cornbinder Thur. July 19 thru Sun. the 22nd (non-pet loop)

~ Site # 136 2OLDDIGGERS Fri. July 20th thru Sun. the 22nd. (non-pet loop)

~ Site # 138 Hikermom 718 Thur July 19th thru Sun. the 22nd (non-pet loop)

~ Site # 141 R. Tally (non-pet loop) Thur 19th thru Mon the 23rd.

~ Site # 144 Brett H. (non-pet loop) Thur July 19th thru Mon. the 23rd

** AS OF Tue. May 15th **

Still plenty of good sites left. In the "pet loop" full service site 79 is available (July 20-22). Electric only in the "pet loop" are sites 48 and 83.

In the "non-pet loop" you have the following electric sites available (July 20-22) 133, 139, 143, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 and 150. And one full service site #127

** It seems like many people attending are staying longer than the weekend, as we are arriving there on the Sunday before. So when your doing your reservation there is a date calendar that will show which sites are available for more than the two weekend nights.
Jim, Diane & Robert
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Cook Forrest is known for the coldest swimming holes in the world. Stuck my toe in on a July 4th once while it stopped snowing for a bit.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget Black Bird distillery! Free samples ; )
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
We're interested, but just returned home so it will take me a bit to get my head screwed on straight again.
I'll do some research and check back later.

Sounds fun. I don't have an ORV rig, but am lusting after one, I think.
Ken